The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What Do You Think Of When You Hear "Mentalist"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9051 Posts

Profile of funsway
I wasn't going to respond to Innercircle's question publicly, but now I will -- because what Bob says may be true, but ...

it was a nightclub setting at the old Riverside Hotel in Reno, Nevada -- about 60 people for dinner and show. My friend Jeff and I had received special permission to be be there as minors.

Shortly after Dunninger had begun his show he spied us and loudly asked, "Why are those kids here?" Then he shrugged and went on at rapid fire pace.

He seemed impatient with anyone who did not instantly respond to his question or directions, allowing no time to absorb what was happening. There seemed to be no continuity from one presentation to the next. Several people left.

Suddenly he turned and told Jeff to come up front -- no request, just a command.

When he discovered that Jeff a crippled he shook his finger saying, "No - this will never do! I need a whole person."

I guess he forgot to bring his charisma that night.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, he could be rude and crude on occasion. But he was, nonetheless, the premiere mentalist of the forties and fifties and his influence exists to this day.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
418 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I think of mind reader.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 12:42, granterg wrote:
With respect, I think Mindpro's question is not very useful because, as mentalists, our minds are polluted.

The question should be posed to lay people.

Just my opinion.

granterg

Most Café members are lay people. What kind of mentalist opens with, "I saw this trick on tv ... where can I get it?"

Just my 2 scents!

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I think spending too much time on this forum corrupts the image of a Mentalist for me. We get people posting questions as John mentions above and then next thing you know they've visited Promystic and are calling themselves mentalists Smile

best,
Sean
granterg
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of granterg
It sounds like perhaps Dunninger could be rude at times.

Kreskin, on the other hand, is one of the best people you could ever meet.

Trust me.

I saw his show once at a hotel, and an hour or so after the show I was hanging out in the lobby.

Kreskin happened to walk by and it was very late at night.

Anyhow, Kreskin started talking to a night shift worker who was by himself cleaning the place.

I could tell Kreskin put a huge giant smile on the guy's face!

Please understand that Kreskin had no reason to approach and talk to this guy.

granterg
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I think of a Psychic on the phone giving a reading.

RP
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1584 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2013-02-03 00:48, Rodney Palmer wrote:
I think of a Psychic on the phone giving a reading.

RP

I can't agree with that. Way off!

That's a Magican's perception, Rodney.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1584 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 21:50, granterg wrote:
It sounds like perhaps Dunninger could be rude at times.

Kreskin, on the other hand, is one of the best people you could ever meet.

Trust me.

I saw his show once at a hotel, and an hour or so after the show I was hanging out in the lobby.

Kreskin happened to walk by and it was very late at night.

Anyhow, Kreskin started talking to a night shift worker who was by himself cleaning the place.

I could tell Kreskin put a huge giant smile on the guy's face!

Please understand that Kreskin had no reason to approach and talk to this guy.

granterg

"Anyhow, Kreskin started talking to a night shift worker who was by himself cleaning the place.

I could tell Kreskin put a huge giant smile on the guy's face"! Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Its interesting to know who says Kreskin as its like me saying Columbo as a reference and the young adults of today stare at me saying "huh?"

IMHO

Mindfreak is more known a term than Mentalist thanks to social media etc. heck, you can find a mindfreak doing popcorn commercials....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Personally I think of Kreskin but in the UK it's a term that means a nutter so I wouldn't advocate it's use.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
To me personally, It usually means a boring and long winded performance of an effect that we already know how it will end....

OK, I kid a little. But seriously, I think there are many different types of mentalist performances...but I usually think of a Q & A act, drawing dupes, predictions..etc.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 12:20, Mindpro wrote:
As a performer or someone interested in Mentalism, I am just curious as to what type of performance you immediately think of when you hear "mentalist"? What does it mean or how does it apply to your immediate thoughts?

For example, when I think or hear of mentalism, I immediately and only think of one performer on stage in a theater or banquet setting. I know it means different things to each of us. To some it may mean readings, to others it may be walk around or street, and yet to others it may mean spirit or seances.

So without any thought what is you immediate or default thought when you hear or think "mentalist"?

I just see david berglas' face...not him on stage...just his face and I can kinda hear his voice too...

but if I imagined a situation, have you seen the Tim Roth film where he plays Hanussen? the scene with the leather armchairs on stage...something a little similar to that...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The essential image that I have always had is a performer who is able to tell members of the audience personal things about themselves that he could not possibly know by normal means.

The key word there is "personal." Other effects- card revelations, book tests, etc.- are just window dressing to the core impression.

Good thoughts,

Bob
joesquire
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of joesquire
I think of a "plausible" mind reader. Something like Patrick Jane of the TV Show "The Mentalist"

I think of someone who can read your body language and know when you're lying, know when you like someone, know when you hate someone. Someone who can read microexpressions

I also think of someone who can subtly influence you to do certain things. Someone for whom "random" doesn't exist - someone who knows the patterns of humans.

I think of Sherlock Holmes and Raymond Babbitt (RainMan) rolled into one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What Do You Think Of When You Hear "Mentalist"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL