The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis in TV ads?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This is my second post in this forum, and I know I'm full of questions, but that is because I am new, and, truthfully, for questions on the subject of hypnotism, I don't know who else to ask except you guys, because you are the experts, so I hope I don't wear out my welcome with too many questions.

Here is my question. Is hypnotism used in TV adds? I mean is subtle form of hypnotism uses covertly in TV ads?

Not yet being sure of the many facets of the very definition of the word hypnotism,  I was compelled to wonder when I saw a commercial for Lunesta sleeping aid. As I watched it, it occured to me the various planned elements that went into that particular ad in order to sway my mind to purchase their product. For instance, they had voiceover done by a woman with an intentionally warm, soothing, soporific voice. Then the visual of a very gentle butterfly would flutter by on the screen with gentle, comforting, (dare I say?) "hypnotic" movement of it's wings as it flutters over the arial view of a sleeping neighborhood at night and gently goes through the bedroom window of and softly alights on a woman caught on the gentle wings of an obviously peaceful sleep.

Talk about shameless! I thought these peopld have unlimited funds with which to create these ads, and to my mind this is a blatant attempt to manipilate my mind into purchasing this product, which, by the way had the OPPOSITE effect of what they intended because I detest being manipulated and controlled. Because I sensed I was being manipulated, I will therefore NEVER purchase the product!!

But the question remains, which I pose here: Is this commercial a form of mild, subtle or covert hypnotism, and even further, if it is, what other commercials use hypnotism, and where besides TV ads is this covert hypnotism employed??

Thanks for your answers! Enquiring minds want to know!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
While hypnotism can be described as manipulation and influence, not every piece of communication which includes manipulation and influence can be described as hypnotism.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think the best advertising and marketing guys have a good understanding of hypnosis and hypnotic triggers. Dan Kennedy one of the most successful direct response marketers owed a lot of his success to his knowledge about hypnosis and said all marketers should understand it. The great thing about some of these guys is their ability to write long copy that can suck you in with little or no budget spent on anything else. Some famous sales letters have been used for decades and pulled in millions in sales. Marketing to some degree is about triggering unconscious responses and impulses and directing them with precision towards a goal. Which is very similar to what a good hypnotist does. Hypnosis has more applications than just performance or to stop somebody smoking or to lose weight.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm familar with those "long copy" sales letters. I defeat 'em every time by skipping IMMEDIATELY to the final paragraph!

But if you ever catch that Lunesta commercial, you'll see what I mean. If it's not hypnotic, it's sure pushing the fringes of it. It just lulls you right in. And like most ads for pharmaceuticals, they do it in a way that you don't hardly notice that they are listing numerous, possibly deadly side effects. (The side effects are usually worse than the cure!)

To quote a certain wicked witch from. certain classic 1939 film "Poppies! Poppies will make them sleeeeeeeep! Now they'll sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!"
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The reason why you skip sales letters is because they weren't written for you. IE they don't press your triggers. Plus there are a lot of bad letters around. But when they apply to you and are written properly they are powerful. Just watch a few tv shopping ads. They sell huge amounts and the ads can go on for 5 or 10 mins or more. When someone's buttons are pushed they will consume a large amount of info. And the more expensive the item the more they usually require to separate them from their money.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quicknotist: +1 Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Agreed about pushing buttons. Some of them are so transpicuous, to me at least. I have a hard time understanding why everyone can't see through the obvious attempts at manipulation. Case in point : The Coke ads featuring the mama polar bear and her cubs. I find it sickening that they are trying to get me to attach (anchor?) that warm, fuzzy "Ahhhh! Isn't that sweet!" type of feeling to drinking Coke., Watch the ads, you'll see what I mean. I think it ends with the mama polar bear hugging the cub while she gives him a drink of Coke, or something like that.,To me it's cloying, and I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I see right through the manipulation and I don't drink Coke to this day. But (sigh) I suppose it works on some people. Probably worth the millions they spent on it.

And of course the now defunct Joe Camel was an attempt to anchor the feelings of being (ultra Fonzie) cool to inhaling their carcinogenic, Turkish weed.

Examples are ubiquitous.

By the way, Superbowl ads were great this year, I thought. But many feel they are lackluster. Even at that, I'm not going to purchase anything that was advertised.

I guess what really puzzles me though is the commercials where it seems like the advertisers are in some kind of infernal competition to see who can create the most grating, odious, or OBNOXIOUS commercial in all of TV land! From Pizza to insurance some of them have me grabbing for the mute button or literly slamming my hands o er my ears because they are so hellishly grating! There's one lately that they run into the ground featuring some ninny of a guy, ...a simpleton who sings out of tune "I have blah blah insurance so person come help! " Then they rub salt in your wounds by following up with his baggy old mom who yells in her most raucous old voice "Six callers ahead of us Jimmy!"

It is the most absolutely obnoxious ad on TV! Following close behind is the deranged clown runnng through the woods honking a horn trying to sell us Little Caesar's pizza.

And there are more. What were these people smoking when tbey wrote these things? Were they thinking that by being obnoxious and causing me to hate them that that is going to make me want to buy their product?

Geeeeeeeesh!

Sorry. I'm off my soapbox, now.

With the long sales letters I just feel daunted by such a %#%%# long letter! I don't have time for that. But what boggles me is the TV ads that, well, I don't know how to say it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis in TV ads?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL