The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Proposal With Photosynthesis by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

phil2013
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of phil2013
Ok, this is my first post so go easy!

I've had an interest in magic for a number of years, and am looking at proposing to my girlfriend, so would like to combine the two.

I don't want to do a typical ring production, so here's what I was thinking...

Whilst out at a restaurant I'd like to slip a leaflet onto the table with the Photosynthesis polaroid attached. I would dress this up as a get your photo taken special offer leaflet (e.g. http://www.yaffephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Opening-offer-leaflet.jpg).

I figured the easiest way is to place the leaflet on the table during the meal when she goes to the toilet, or just with a bit of sleight of hand.

I'd like the leaflet on the table as early as possible, so that it remains in view and doesn't draw any direct attention.

Towards the end of the meal I'd bring up the conversation of how fate has had such a big hand in how the two of us have come together. There are a number of points I could raise here, but won't bore you with the mushynuss of it !

I would then lead into how fate had decided to leave this photo offer on our table too. Taking the polaroid I would ask her to place it between her hands, placing mine over hers. I would then tell her how much she means to me, before asking her to open her hands and look at the polaroid. The image would be of a ring and the words "Marry Me ?". Whilst she was looking at the photo I would produce the ring, and hopefully she will say yes!

I'd like to keep the actual magic moves to a minimum as I'm sure I'll be nervous enough! So any suggestions on how to streamline this ? Better explanations for why the leaflet is there ? Better links to the effect ?
SWiCh
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of SWiCh
Now, I am an amateur magician, but I am an old romantic at heart, and I think this is a great idea!

The issue is: why would you not just scrap the leaflet/unexposed photo when you sat down. Whenever I sit at a table, I will move things around and look at them (I am both tidy and nosey!).

Is there not a way you could bring up an 'old photo you found' of you two when you first met, and talk about the time you have had together, how things change, and ask her to take the photo - and she sees it is blank! But then you will crack a cheesy line like - it needs us both to think of our most special moment together and then BOOM! The words: Marry Me 'develop.'

Not sure if that is better/worse, I would like to think it is just different! I hope it might help slightly.

Alternatively - why not say that you got given the leaflet while she was in the bathroom (hence why it is on the table), maybe that links in better with your idea and is an easier lead in?

The key is - as you say - try to keep the magic to a minimum, you will be nervous (and then, I am sure, elated).
phil2013
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of phil2013
Thanks for your suggestions!

Whilst I also tend to have a browse through any leaflets etc on a table when I sit down, I see this as a positive ! If she has seen the leaflet with the photo attached, it can then be put to one side and ignored for a while. In my opinion this will make the affect look more spontaneous, as it will look as if I'm using that piece of junk advertising left on the table.

My concerns are that the lighting in a restaurant may be a little dark for the image to be clearly visible on the Polaroid. Also if I was just given the leaflet, why are there no others in the restaurant ?

As an alternative I was thinking of deploying the leaflet in with the flyers in the hotel room. This way it would be impossible to tell that this is unique to us, but it looses the touch of being in a romantic place!
SWiCh
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of SWiCh
Hey Phil

I agree that browsing may be a positive, and would make the effect much more magical!

I don't really know how clear the Photosynthesis effect would be (I do not own it myself), but your point of 'why are there no others...?' makes sense. BEar in mind thoughm that as 'layperson' - and not knowing of the effect/intended end result, she would not suspect any gimmicks/proposal...

Proposing (not in a restaurant) would be VERY special to the two of you, rather than the pressure of a full restaurant. I proposed to my wife in front of 2 friends (it was accidental - long story!) - and it was so personal to just us as a group.

I will just say - ENJOY and best of luck!
phil2013
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of phil2013
In case anyone is interested, she said yes !

I had to make a few adjustments as the Photosynthesis gimmick wasn't that sensitive unless it had been slightly warmed initially. It would work perfectly if the gimmick was kept in your pocket prior to performing, but I needed it to be left in plain view.

I found the easiest way was to change the displayed image to a heart with the message, and when performing place the gimmick on my chest (over my heart) and get her to place a finger in the middle.

This worked well ! Although she did comment on how rapid my heart was beating initially before any change occurred !

It got the desired effect though! So happy ! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Proposal With Photosynthesis by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL