The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » This will knock your socks off! - NEW "Coin Ditcher Gimmick" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Yes, I tried to use a hand tool to do it. Took about 5 minutes before I realized I needed someone with the right power tool to do it. He's going to do it for me this week. Good news is that once it is done, these parts should last forever.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
I managed to complete mine. I'm happy with the result. Smile
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Bambu, I purchased the ebook from lybrary.com. nice work. Definitely makes me think about other potential concepts for different applications.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
8a22a, I am glad that you finished the project. Once the Coin Ditcher Gimmick is built it should last a lifetime.

Calvin, thanks for the comments. Although this gimmick was devolped for coins, as you said It has potential for other applications.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
Very nice idea, but unfortunately this just can't work for me (or for anyone else who has a protruding belly). The solution on page 17 does not address the problem of a guy my size.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
For those who will need to 'outsource' the fashioning of the main device, and don't have a friend (as I do) who can get the work done well, it has been recommended to go to a metal shop or muffler shop to get the work done.

I have a feeling that just a small bit of talk can benefit - not only for this effect, but for other effects/experiments in the future that require metal cutting beyond what can be done with a simple hacksaw.

I don't think that I have ever seen in either the yellow pages or in a shopping center, a "metal shop" or a "muffler shop" (except Midas!).

Are we talking calling Midas? Smile A chain store, perhaps? Is there a nationally known example of a "metal shop"?

One of the first things that came to my mind was calling a local high school and having a metal shop student do it as a small project.

Truly, one would eventually get to where they need to get by making a series of phone calls, but an example or two might lead some to a better place to have the work done than by relying on cold calling.

Don't get me wrong, cold calling can lead to good things. I thought, though, that a specific or two might help some folks who don't know the bet place to start looking for a source start on a more efficient path.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
This utility device is like a poor man's workaroo.

I have the same problem as GeneTony in that I'm carrying perhaps a little more weight than I should around the midriff. Unlike James Brown I'm not boasting a six pack!

I don't think the workaroo is for sale anymore so this will do for coins however the workaroo does cards, bottles and anything else that will fit.

So, this is worth a punt if you're prepared to do some serious DIY. I'm too lazy so I'll stick to my dream of losing a few pounds (more like a few stone) to use my workaroo.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, my friend tried to use a band saw to make what was necessary, and he told me that it ate the f****.

I put did finally get around yesterday to going to some of the shops mentioned in the instructions, and a hardware store, but was turned away by every the first 4 of them.

The last place on my list was a mom-and-pop place - the boss gave it to one of the workers, who was back 2 minutes later. While he was working, I asked how much it would be. I was told, "No charge, but you can tip the guy." So I gave him $10.

Moral of the story is to go to mom-and-pop places, rather than chains. The chain stores often shy away from things that are not currently "on their menu" and I think employees don't want to get in trouble for doing something they are not authorized to do. Anyway, after smoothing things down, I added some masking tape around the edges for a little extra smoothness.

Review section:

To this point, I have only made the ditcher, not the ditcher/retriever. I am very pleased. I had suspected - even given what is used to put it together - that noise from a coin as substantial as a silver dollar might be noticeable. No worries there, at all. I was also curious to know how much practice it would take before I could 'hit the mark' when ditching, and was pleased to see that - for me - it was virtually self-working.

Highly recommended.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I have a suggestion for those who are having belly issues with the coin ditcher. Try changing the placement to the side of the belly, either right or left. I think it will make a big difference for you. You can also alter the shape a bit by flattening the back and making the front more rounded.

This c can make the ditching action much more natural if you check the fall of your hand and align the ditcher to the natural place your hand falls past. This will eliminate 2 handed use though.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I am interested in this but don't want to have to buy an angle grinder. How thick of metal are we talking for the construction of this? Thanks.

-Paul
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I made mine with a hacksaw . just get the right blade.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I am seriously considering purchasing this, but I have a few more questions.

What is the cost of materials on this gimmick?
Will it require me to buy special coins such as steel core or magnetic?

Thanks.

-Paul
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Okay, I finally broke down and bought this. Gr8gorrila, what kind of blade do you recommend?
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
The material is very thin, you can use a 24 tooth hacksaw blade.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I have a question, how does this compare to a workeroo or silent butler? For anyone that has made this and also has a workeroo, how do they compare as far as comfort for wearing for long days doing walk around or restaurant work?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » This will knock your socks off! - NEW "Coin Ditcher Gimmick" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL