The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Invisible - Damien Savina (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Performing for friends and family is great because I have known people that buy magic, play with it, go to club meetings, the whole 9 yards, but they never perform for anyone ( not even for friends or family). Magic is a fun hobby and there should be joy in practicing ( Larry Jennings said that was his favorite part ) but it also should be performed.

I really enjoy performing for people I don't know. So with something like Invisible, which I didn't have the talent to make look good, I was interested in knowing if anyone that praised it actually performed it in casual situations for people they didn't know. I found it difficult to make it look good already set, so to do it in a performance seemed so unlikely.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I should definitely try more often, to your point, to perform for people I don't know. I think what's been keeping me from it is I try to wait for a "perfect" opportunity that never really occurs. As opposed to just making it happen.

The few times I have broadened outside of family/friends has been with something like Ignition...which is kind of hard to mess up (and gets a nice reaction).

Now, I have carried around Invisible with me when out and about so the intention is there...but never quite pulled the trigger on it.

While I don't think I can execute it 100% perfect in this scenario, I have practiced it enough to where I am pretty confident I can get the intended reaction. But yeah, not with them pulling the ring away.

You may have inspired me, Zombie, to give it a go one day!
Evilstalkerhorne
View Profile
New user
USA Waterloo Iowa
70 Posts

Profile of Evilstalkerhorne
OK, I did FINALLY modify the ITR but with about 9 hours on and off of work, frustration and practicing taking it apart and putting it back together with assortments of threads! I actually broke a second one that I had laying around also. First great idea... I went to Walmart and got some (This is what it is listed as if you go to the craft dept) Invisible Thread. It is not typical of magicians type though more for seamstress work on fabrics where you do not want to see the needle work. They have dark and clear I got both. It is very hard to see in the right lighting conditions though and from about 4 feet away very invisible. That being said, I messed and messed with the ITR and finally got the Walmart stuff to work. It was much thicker and I barely got enough on the ITR for the illusion. That being said I began practicing the moves etc. which did not take long. I will STRESS this illusion is NOT possible with ANY IT that I have ever seen for practical up-close since there has got to be a pound of pressure on the line at times!!!! If there is someone that is using some type of magic IT, I am not calling them a liar but I will need to see it to believe it and then examine the device! Then I would need to know what brand name so I could stock up on it! I plan to try Vectra but have to order some. So a MUCH STRONGER thread and I was off and running. The rest is not to hard to learn but with the thick thread you will need (which is NOT what the ITR comes with stock) one will have to contend with glare, angles and when the ring is passed to the person at the end there is a noise that comes from your fly area (no I am not kidding and those of you who know the secret will laugh cause you know what I am talking about I am sure lol). So that being said I would have a ringer in the crowd come and do the plucking if I ever attempted this live. Practicing in front of my mirrors and on video it is really neat looking though. So great idea, poor device. If you decide to give this a try I highly recommend getting a second ITR and using the Walmart stuff. Regular sewing thread is way too thick and if you put enough on the ITR that comes with the DVD it locks up due to no space. I would also stock up on elastic thread since that is what the ITR uses for tension. I tried regular rubber bands but the type I had are way too thick. The illusion is great but way too much work, risk to try attempting in close up I would say. If you get it for a kid expect them to get very frustrated and possibly cry, throw things and be a total shxt cause I almost did after about the 5th hour of ITR assembly and burning through my Infinity V2 roll. Like I stated I make my own loops and am no stranger to string magic but this is nuts heavy pressure and I honestly do not see how anyone with ANY experience can get regular IT to work on the ITR as packaged! WOW I am needing a rest after this crap..........
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
Zombie, I have been performing for people who I don't know as well as friends/family. I don't get them to hold the ring at the end because that bit I have found not to be practical in real life performing conditions. The pushing the ring bit does work though.
Evilstalkerhorne, I'm surprised you have had so much trouble- I've been using the original thread since the start with only the usual practice breakages.
I love sponges
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Professorwho, thanks for sharing your experiences!
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
No problems, I also use the second hook up which is a bit higher and has less friction in my opinion (those with the DVD will know what I mean) so I may have a smoother run for the IT.
I love sponges
Nikki78
View Profile
Special user
I impaled Dracula with
511 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Hi Zombie,

I forgot to mention that I do the "push to the side & pluck the ring out of mid air" move myself.
I don't want to let the spectator get tangled in thread Smile

@Evilstalkerhorne: if you need stronger thread use the Vectra. It's perfect! I'm using it with my
Spider Pen Pro.
BTW: I don't know what you are doing but the ITR that comes with the DVD is 100% ok: it does what it
has to do and the thread doesn't break faster than other threads. (I only had problems with the SpiderPen thread that's why I changed it)

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
Evilstalkerhorne
View Profile
New user
USA Waterloo Iowa
70 Posts

Profile of Evilstalkerhorne
The thread that came in the ITR was totally junk. Maybe they have some quality control issues (quality is the issue from where I see from) but that being said, I could not even put the card part in place because each time I would fish out the end and put it in the wax more breakage == start all over. The Infinity V2 did not wind on the ITR correctly so that idea busted. I did manage to work with some loops and got a similar effect. When I try Vectra I will re-post.
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Infinity V2 EIT rather than IT and as such the wrong sort of thread for an ITR?
I love sponges
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Can this be performed with Vectra Virtuoso and Vectra Standard? And with other reels like the locking ITR or the Titan ITR or the Micro ITR?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Vectra Virt., no way, way too weak, but most invisible I have ever seen. Vectra standard, yes sir. This is the best thread and Fearson will send you how to rethread your ITR with Vectra. You can also buy prethreaded, but it is expensive. Vectra is the best on the market, wish I new where Fearson got his supply! Smile
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Thank you.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Magic Piet
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Magic Piet
I use this with the spider pen pro now, works like a sharm! People who have this are maybe thinking about the 30sec issue, but this is not a problem. When you are floating the ring you clearly feel when the 30 seconds are over. The ring will not go down all of a sudden, just take your other hand and give a push at the thread Smile if you want to know how my hook-up of the SPP looks like, please don't hesitate and PM me.

P.S. : I'm using Vectra thread. I tried vectra virtuoso but it is too weak like Memory-Jah said.
Magic Piet
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Magic Piet
By the way, anybody who is working that pen trick at the dvd? With some pens you can turn the little part near the writing side and 'unscrew' it a tiny bit: that way you have a little slit in your pen near the writing side. Do the last phase and you can tilt the pen from horizontal to almost vertical! Really cool when it's done with a borrowed pen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Invisible - Damien Savina (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL