The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Invisible - Damien Savina (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
I hope I am credited. I was kind enough to show Damien my handling of my final destination floating 3fly after I performed it as part of my competition act at FISM Europe in Blackpool in 2011 when he and Xavier Belmont ( the guy who made his gimmick) approached me. Of course it was already published on my Unusual Suspect DVD of 2009 and was on Youtube way before that as part of my Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year winning act in 2008.

I knew Damien was working on his own version ( which I believe is a step backward from my own as the gravity method seems rather obvious). I encouraged Damien to work on it but had no idea he was planning to release it.

Interesting.
SupaHEEro
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of SupaHEEro
I am big fan of 3 Fly routines, saw Matthew's "Final Destination" in person a couple days ago. Oh man, it's way better than video on the web, especially when the coin floating cross slowly and "anti-gravitily"!! Killer stuff~!

"Iinvisible" looks very cool in the vid, but not sure how practical it is. And also would like to know what differences are between the ITR included in the Package and the others on the market. I hope it's better, otherwise, It would much more economical to just purchase the digital version DVD for oversea buyers who has already own an ITR.

Cheers, Mike
Jagged Steel
View Profile
New user
Ellusionist.com
19 Posts

Profile of Jagged Steel
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 23:26, RandyScott wrote:
@Xiqual,

This link was posted n page 1

http://www.esp-origins.com/product/20

Is this a way around Ellusionist?

Absolutely. This is Ludo's English Language site. I believe everything still ships from Marchand De Trucs in France - so don't balk at shipping if you choose to purchase there (I mean that sincerely - I haven't looked at shipping charges from Ludo or even whether he passes the larger cost onto international customers - just a heads up if the costs are slightly more - that'll be the reason why.)

I have read the other questions, and I'm confident Damien has credited correctly with the 3-Fly routine, but I want to be 100% sure of my answer before I say definitively. Will get back to those questions shortly.

-Jake
- He who rolls up his sleeves, seldom loses his shirt -
*** jake [at] ellusionist.com ***
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
This DVD looks great. There seems to have been a sudden resurgence in thread effects over the last year. Very exciting stuff.
Saqib16
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Saqib16
Hi Everyone! Its been almost 10 years since I started using this board, but I'm trying to get back into the magic world! I saw this video and pre-ordered. Hope to contribute more
Jagged Steel
View Profile
New user
Ellusionist.com
19 Posts

Profile of Jagged Steel
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 21:37, rockwall wrote:
Does this have all the same lighting limitations as any other t****d work would?
How difficult to learn? Do you need to be pretty good with t****d already to be able to do this?

The short answer, is yes. This is t****dwork, so we have to recommend against performing in a lab coat under fluorescent lights. That said, this is a novel hook-up - you don't have swaying head movements or rigid hands telegraphing its use or location - so that may be a psychological advantage keeping it hidden. As you can see by our trailer - it's forgiving in most lighting.

As for how difficult - I'm not going to lie. You can watch the DVD, strap it on and perform it instantly - whilst fine, it's going to look rough. As with anything this 'magical' - it deserves the effort in practice, it's a skill like any other - though prior knowledge of t****dwork is certainly not required. Damien teaches both foundation and subtleties for all six effects on the DVD.

Quote:
On 2013-02-07 21:37, rockwall wrote:
I understand the Matthew Wright is releasing Final Destination at Blackpool also and coin across looks like the same thing. Does Matthew get crediting and/or did he give permission? (I THINK Matthew came up with this effect although I couldn't say for sure.)

Damien created his Coins Across in 2007. In May of 2008 whilst Matthew was putting together his DVD, he asked whether anyone had a flying coin effect as solution to the final 3-Fly phase. Damien stated that he had been performing his solution and discussed it with Matthew in private. Both magicians came to the conclusion that they had independently created separate methods. The bones of that discussion is here on the Café - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=3

I haven't seen Matthew's DVD (sorry Matthew) so I can't comment as to whether Damien was credited there, though I'd think if the methods differed enough and no 'inspiration' was taken from Damien's method, whilst a mention would be generously courteous, it would not be necessary. Likewise, vice-versa.

At Blackpool in 2011, Damien met up with Matthew and showed him his Coins Across and told Matthew that he planned to release it on DVD. Damien did not see Matthew's version. Just prior to starting the project with Ludo in 2011, Damien contacted Matthew (via Facebook message) to let him know that work had begun on his DVD that would include the Coins Across.

As I said earlier - Damien is comprehensive with his credits and effect lineage. He has listed Matthew among the credits in the booklet, despite their methods differing.

I did read a question somewhere that asked about the reel. These are built in the USA by James George, who is THE guy when it comes to ITR construction. Most these days come from India or China and are of inferior construction. This is a high-quality, precision-engineered (which I think means built well, but small) ITR that surpasses quite a number of those on the market at higher prices than the whole Invisible package. Yes - it is a 'standard' ITR - so if you have a favorite you're welcome to continue using it, however we have not made this effect available as a download - so if you pick it up, I guess you'll have a back-up ITR.

All the best,

-Jake
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Jake, thank you for answering all of my questions! And thanks for showing that link where Matthew asked about if others had solved the problem before releasing his video.

I'm going to be buying all 3 of Matthew's Blackpool releases including Final Destination but I think I'll bite the bullet and get this too. It certainly looks great! (Too bad I'll have to leave my lab coat at home! Smile)

Mike
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

That is not how I remember it happening.

Anyway,
Here is the original effect as performedby me for many thousands of magicians all across the world.

https://vimeo.com/54608051
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 15:48, Blindside785 wrote:
I'll take the plunge for you guys.

I get my tax return between the 9th and 19th of this month, I'll pre-order whenever I get it. Promise Smile

THANK YOU SIR!! LET ME KNOW!
Jagged Steel
View Profile
New user
Ellusionist.com
19 Posts

Profile of Jagged Steel
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 15:48, Jagged Steel wrote:
At Blackpool in 2011, Damien met up with Matthew and showed him his Coins Across and told Matthew that he planned to release it on DVD. Damien did not see Matthew's version.

Quote:
On 2013-02-08 17:17, matthew wright wrote:
That is not how I remember it happening.

Apologies - that should read 'Damien did not see the method of Matthew's version.'

I can only provide what information I have at hand - which is that above. I was not personally present for any of these discussions. As per the thread here on the Café linked earlier, the methods do differ, and Matthew has been credited as having an alternative Method in the credits for Invisible.

All the best,

-Jake
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 18:37, paisa23 wrote:
Quote:

I get my tax return between the 9th and 19th of this month, I'll pre-order whenever I get it. Promise Smile

Will do!
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Damien did not see that method on that particular occasion. He did not need to. He had already seen it. It had been published three years earlier.
zoneinfinite
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zoneinfinite
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 20:46, Blindside785 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 18:37, paisa23 wrote:
Quote:

Will do!

LOL I find it amusing there's a guy named "Blindside785" posting in a topic where another guy possibly got blindsided for real. Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Oh that deserves a knee slap.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 18:40, Xiqual wrote:
I'll wait till Penguin sells this. Ellusionist is the worst. I bought a HALO bracelet for my 16 year old son. They did not even ship it for a month. When it arrived the switch was broken so it stayed on until the battery ran out. The bracelet itself is really crappy, the ink is smeared in the print and the printing is crooked. Easily checked with quality control but they have none at E. Same issues with Pure smoke. Oh look at the pretty colored smoke! meh.
James

I agree, I have 2 pos pure smoke units that don't work.

I too will wait until Penguin has this.

Mike
DrAz
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of DrAz
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 22:58, matthew wright wrote:
Damien did not see that method on that particular occasion. He did not need to. He had already seen it. It had been published three years earlier.

The old post shows that you both had the idea around the same time, that your versions are different, and that your methods are also different. Damien was kind enough to list your name in the credits. Ain't life grand?
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:

Oh we love that term don't we.... "Underground"... Oooh... ahhhh

Frankly its a term that makes me wonder why... If these guys are so great... Why are they "Underground". Silly term IMHO.

But I digress...

From my experience, underground means that usually they are not regular performers but rather just extremely talented hobbyists. Sometimes for good reason such as stage fright or just because they suck on stage. But they have a great capacity to create.
Not a bad thing. Or perhaps they actually live in an underground world. After all we all know the Earth is hollow!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
What Chad says does ring true.

If you think about professional guitarists, you can't name the best one. Simply because the best one is locked away "underground" or in his basement jamming away sight unseen and unknown.

Some thing goes for magic creators and possibly performers that are not yet performers.
Tfet
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tfet
Quote:
On 2013-02-09 16:21, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Quote:

Oh we love that term don't we.... "Underground"... Oooh... ahhhh

Frankly its a term that makes me wonder why... If these guys are so great... Why are they "Underground". Silly term IMHO.

But I digress...

From my experience, underground means that usually they are not regular performers but rather just extremely talented hobbyists. Sometimes for good reason such as stage fright or just because they suck on stage. But they have a great capacity to create.
Not a bad thing. Or perhaps they actually live in an underground world. After all we all know the Earth is hollow!

Oh I agree with your assessment that that's what it is suppose to mean. I just meant that for some reason the term gets thrown around as some sort of mysterious (So good no one else knows it) selling point. (Underground gaffs for example.... What does that even mean? Do the gaffs come from under the ground? I suppose the gaffs could be hobbyists or have stage fright).

At any rate, It was just an observation. I think the effect looks good and in the end I just hope the set-up is practical and can actually be used in the real world.... Underground or not.
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Just spotted this thread. When I saw the demo video of the 'hovering' ring, I immediately thought it appears to be similar to Terry Lunceford’s floating finger ring.

Will be interested in the reviews after February 26th 2013.

All the best

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Invisible - Damien Savina (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL