The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fabric for backdrop system? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
So I have a couple of different systems that I use depending on the venue. However, one system I have that I haven't used for a while is the photography setup. I'm sure you know the one with two tripods and crossbars. The main reason is that the fabric I use for it, crushed velvet, is so heavy and doesn't pack small at all!

Does anyone have any fabric recommendations that look good on stage? I like the crushed velvet because it can't get visible wrinkles no matter how it's folded. Anyone have a similar fabric that doesn't wrinkle and is lighter weight?
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I roll my crushed velvet drapes and don't have any trouble. I pack my tripod (1) with t-bar into a carry bag along with the rolled drapes. I roll the drapes on PVC tubes which slide onto each side of the t-bar and it allows me to adjust my width quite nicely. I also havea set of Nulash drapes as well.

Dan.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Joey,

Look at getting a heavier duty T-bar and tripod.

American DJ has tripod light stands that will hold your velvet, probably even you.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I might be wrong Joey but panne velvet does not show wrinkles and I believe panne velvet is lighter. But check with a fabric store.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Thanks guys! I'll check about the panne velvet.

gothike, it's not about the weight on the rods so much as the size and weight of the fabric in the suitcase. It takes a lot of space and doesn't collapse very small.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Here's an out-of-the box approach you may like:

Use a thin white fabric like spandex, lycra, or even a plain white bed sheet. Pull it tight; don't just hang it like a curtain, anchor it from the corners so there are no folds or wrinkles.

Using your computer and a projector, you can design a custom backdrop for any show and project it from behind (projectors have a rear-projection setting that displays your image in reverse so it looks right from the front). Of course, you can also have your own standard custom backdrop with your name or whatever you want.

The major benefit: Unlimited customized backdrops, for an investment that will run you less than the cost of one custom backdrop.

Caveats: You need about 20' of space behind the backdrop, so it won't work in tight working space. It's also a pain and may run up some additional expense if you're not good with Photoshop and need to rely on someone else to do your design. It won't work if there is a support bar in the middle of your stand.

Attached is an example of this in use. It's a photo from a benefit show my son and I put together for the Haiti earthquake victims back in 2010.

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fabric for backdrop system? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL