The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Tremaine - Close-up Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Anyone have this video? I would be interested in opinions of the material on it.

Thanks
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
It's a very good video and Tremaine does a great show with explanations afterward. I found it interesting that he is seated during the performance for a group at a party. His presentations are strong and the folks watching the show seemed to enjoy it a lot.
I don't recall how many different effects he does but they run the gamut and all are good. I especially liked his version of 'Out Of This World" during which he involved a number of audience participants.
I think the blurb on the tape mentions that this show was one which took him around the world working cruise ships.
I think it would be a great addition to your library.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
I'd strongly disagree with John here. I bought the video a few months back and can honestly say it is one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

Extremely unoriginal handling of basic mentalist effects. You'll learn the center tear (complete with lapping - believe it or not), the most tepid Q+A routine (using clipboards) anyone has ever done, a blatant rip off of Ben Harris' key bending gimmick, amongst others.
No credits given to any of the originators either.

There is one very good trick on here - a Hen Fetsch routine called "Symbologic". Tremaine gives it the clever title "Extra-Sensory Perception".

I hate to be negative but this really does suck hard. I would strongly suggest you save your money, forget about video's in general, and invest in a couple of books instead. A far better value!

Comments?

Sniper
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

I guess I'll have to be the final judge once I have a look at the video first hand. As far as books go I do have a decent library of reference material including mentalism. Videos, for me anyway, compliment what has already been laid down in text.

Thanks to both of you for some good feedback.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2283 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I'll take the middle road here by saying that it's a mixed bag, but there are definitely some good things here... particularly his very nice handling of "Out of This World".

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
WEll Sniper, it may not be the best video on mentalism ever, but one has to consider Tremaine is a professional entertainer who has earned a living from that material for many years and so there is no reason why someone else could not.

re;
Extremely unoriginal handling of basic mentalist effects.

May have been original when he first started doing them:)
Are you so sure the keybender was ripped off from Harris? Tremaine was doing mentalism while Harris was in his nappies, was involved in the compilation of 13 Steps to Mentalism (who cares if methods are old as long as they work!)

As John said above;
"the folks watching the show seemed to enjoy it a lot."

Isn't that the bottom line?

It wasn't an L & L staff audience, it was a real house party show.

He is thriller writer John Gardner's favourite mentalist (Boysie Oakes, James Bond, etc.)and I believe is mentioned in one of his books.

Yes books are better value than videotapes but one can always learn from watching a complete act.

Paul Hallas.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
My opinion (since you asked) is that its a good tape. I got a lot out of it. As Paul said, Tremaine was doing some of these things with these methods since the 1960's and STILL, 40 years later, gets a good audience reaction.
Isn't that the idea?
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Doogie
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Doogie
I agree that this is a mixed bag of effects. Mr. Tremaine's act was interesting and did contain some useful material. The audience reaction to most of the effects was rather humdrum, but it was a British audience, so don't expect to see people freaking like American's do to Blaine's weak use of a Swami Gimmick. Smile I was very disappointed with the production values of the tape. In the middle of one of the explanations there is some kind of radio interference which can clealy be heard on the tape...pretty annoying. In summary, you can find better tapes.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
John Tremaine's close-up mentalism video was the first mentalism video I saw, about the time I was beginning to read the basic mentalism texts, and I was pretty impressed by the video as a novice. Mr Tremaine has good presentation, including patter and a sense of timing and drama, and of course that is what counts in mentalism.

We must remember that to most lay people, a mentalism show is an unusual event, not necessarily sharply distinguished from megic, and the "traditional" approach of Mr Tremaine is likely to impress them as much, or more, than the latest "fancy stuff" performed at some convention in front of a group of seasoned mentalists.

I agree that, in general, books are much better value for money than videos, but videos can give details of presentation, moves, etc, which are hard to express in a book. I don't think they're a substitute for books, but they can be very useful.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
I have to join the pro- Tremaine camp here very strongly. This is a bread and butter act. I suspect, it kept Mr. Tremaine well fed for many years. Yes it's true there's not much new in the act. Standard effects, classics. Good handling. If you want to learn how it's done in the real world, most of the time, this is it. It's not what that Cassidy fellow called edgy. I doubt Tremaine would not be the hit of a magic convention. Most of the audience, would think they could do the act. They couldn't.
from
Ford
Ford has a better idea
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
I have not seen the tape but I do have some input. If the material "sucks" then how can you make it better? This, in my opinion, seperates the professionals from the amateurs.

Charles Spector Smile
Hunter
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hunter
There is a lot to be learned from this tape and my vote is in favor of it. The material holds the lay audience and it obviously entertains and that is what counts. Also, I have to agree that books are better, but videos help the learning process. Both used in conjunction give you a leg up on presentation.
Hunter
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Speaking of the Tremaine video and his work on Hen Fetsch's "Symbologic" ...

Does anyone know a source for the original routine?
Didier Chantome
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
57 Posts

Profile of Didier Chantome
I liked very much this video, finding this act entertaining and smart.
It contains a coincidence effect with Zenner cards which I applied to business cards...

Best regards

Didier Chantôme
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
If nothing else, Mr Tremaine's video is testament to the power of a well rehearsed script. Listen to his delivery during the act, and then compare with the explanations. A mastered, honed script makes things much easier for the performer.

And the material ain't shaggy, either.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Judging from all the active, well thought out feedback I'm going to enjoy this tape which is in the mail to me now.

Thanks to all who responded.

John
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
John Tremaines close up video is a tape I have owned for about a year or so, I would have to say to any person who purchases magical media, what is it that we look for in any magical media? Tricks that we can carbon copy or pieces of creativity, presentation or method that fuel our own imaginations? I know that my own preference is to learn from my peers both the good and the bad, what suits my style etc etc. Johns Video is a purchase that I certainly do not regret, I think his Out of this World is one of the cheekiest methods I have ever seen and it isn't too perfect which adds to the effect for mentalism. If they are all red and black it's a trick. If you build drama and really try to send them the colours it can be a killer. The routine with the Zenner cards is also a very practical effect that gets a good reaction on the tape as does a clock effect with cards that has a nice moment of being mentalism with a kicker. Would I perform all of the material? No not at all but I'm a believer that if you get one routine or idea that sparks your own mind then it's worth it..

Just my opinion....

Smile
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
716 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I have had his video now for almost 10 years. There are two very cool effects that are easily the price of the tape. His performance style may not be for everyone but he presents a few really fine pieces of mentalism here that are quite worthy.

I hve been performing his effect that has a spectator merely think of any card and uses an imaginary marker to draw a large X on it. Then the maentalist removes a pack of cards, no rough and s***th or Svengali principals here, and actually shows one card and only card card with a large black X on it.

This effect is worth the tape price and I use it in all my stand up parlour shows.

It will play strong and stun the audience.
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
716 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
Woops, sorry about my lack of detail to spelling on my last post. I just performed 4 shows today (14 hour day of magic performances) and it is late. I really should have proof read it.

My apologies, BUY THE TREMAINE TAPE OR DVD. That is just my humble opinion but I certainly enjoyed most of the effects he presented and there is some great material here.
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
14 hour day !
wow ! you're the Stakanovitch of magic ! lol
I'll call the Guiness book Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Tremaine - Close-up Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL