The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Tremaine - Close-up Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
I found the video very educational for several reasons.

You see a very seasoned professional performing effects that have the most simple methods. Every single one (about 9) are skeletal in structure and he does what he can to make them entertaining.

From this, it's clear to see that the audience enjoyed them. You can learn a lot from this premise alone. Often, we over think our methods, and as such, come up with the craziest presentational ploys to try to get by with them. Many times, all are unnecessary. There are a couple effects which will get you thinking, the others are there to just see how very traditional methods play.

I say pick it up. You may not add any of the effects to your repertoire, but you'll learn something along the way.

Jason.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I liked his OOTW routine as well.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Like some others, this was the first "mentalism" video I can remember seeing.

I enjoyed it years ago, and still enjoy watching it every once in awhile. There are quite a few things that are very usable on the tape. The effects for the most part are entertaining and most importantly the people at the show are enjoying it.

I think that sometimes we get too caught up in the latest DVD or effect and forget about the people and effects that have taken the art to the higher level it is at today.

Just my two cents worth.
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
I got this several on VHS years ago when many of the shops were dumping video tapes cheap and going completely DVD. I agree that it is a bit of a mixed bag. The OOTW has some nice touches that A) Made it play better for a small group. B) Made a whole deck OOTW play much quicker. and C) Helped solve the situation I ran into a while ago when performing OOTW for a lady and she named the same color over and over again.

I also liked the ESP card routine. The other lesson from watching him is how he interacts with people. He seemed a genuine nice man, and it his audience liked him a lot.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
This is very good indeed. Very nice ideas and nice touches but it's a matter of taste...

I'm glad I have it Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Tremaine - Close-up Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL