The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The memorized deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
As some of you do this effect in your mentalism shows I thought you would enjoy this gentleman's approach (as well as a few thoughts on memory work).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-ferris......940.html
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
In the event that the linked article is not being read closely I might point out there is a link in the article to a contest. That contest concerns memorizing a deck of cards and the prize is $10,000. The contest runs for the next month.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Interesting. I've never heard of that method before. I always love reading new methods and new approaches to things. I must say though (for me) I will stick to the Aronson stack and just lie to my spectators in telling them that I will attempt to memorize this deck right before their very eyes Smile

Technically I'm not fully lieing am I? I did memorize the Aronson stack, so there is SOME truth to it Smile

Matthew
Mentalist1976CGN
View Profile
New user
Köln/Cologne
23 Posts

Profile of Mentalist1976CGN
It's quite a very classical approach. The first system I learned as a pupil in the early nineties was exactly like this one. Exept it used characters from movies/tv-shows and not celebrities. Each suit was a movie or tv-show I really liked and the positions were the houses in the street where I lived. So my line was to "ring at each door and the character from the show opened the door and did something really stupid". That were very vivid images - easy to remember.
I always liked it, to have the king of clubs in the first position, because that position was the church at the end of our street and KoC stood for Darth Vader (Clubs were characters from the old - one and only - SW Trilogy).

I like this system and to use celebrities is a very neat idea, especially, when you can create very strange images with them.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I think mnemonics is a very powerful tool for anyone, especially for a mentalist. The best books on the subject I've ever read were written by Harry Lorayne who is a member of the Café. It's not difficult to learn and you'll be amazed at what you can do.
Steve
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I also recommend David Berglas' work on how to memorize a deck of cards... One of his stack is marvelous for that kind of memorization method.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I've been known to do a card memory demonstration on occasion.

:eek:
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
Many, many people who are smarter than me have come up with much more clever ways to memorize a stack than the way I did it. I first posted the method I used, verbatim to what I've included below, in January 2007 when Michael Close was a Café guest. I repeat it here just in case someone out there learns the same way I do. Is it legal for me to artificially inflate the number of posts that I have by including the exact same post twice over my nine year membership here?

Thanks.

Frank

My cryptic, and likely unoriginal, approach:

I memorized Aronson's stack by making "clock faces" out of four paper plates and putting card values at the number positions. The plates were named A,B,C,D. To get the associated stack number for each card: A(1-12), B(add 12 to clock indice), C(add 24 to clock indice), D(add 36 to clock indice). Associating cards at positions on a clock worked for me because it had somewhat of a visual aspect to it. After watching TV for several nights with plates in hand, I had it. Also, it was kind of interesting how some card/number combinations were very easy to remember due to some pattern or where they fell on a clock face. Testing yourself is also rather easy (e.g., 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock A through D, etc...). The last four cards of the stack I just had to do through brute memorization. Sorry for chiming in ... I know nobody asked me.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
This approach sounds interesting. However, I'm a little lost. Do you think it might be possible to make a video?
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
Matthew,

Sorry for the confusion. I'll work on putting a video together and PM you a link.

Thanks.

Frank
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Luke Jermay has some nice stuff in his 49 seconds manuscript. I also LOVE richard osterlinds breakthrough card system.
John.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
....which has nothing to do with a mem deck, of course.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 17:22, Nicolino wrote:

God, no!..................... Smile
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2187 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Phill Smith has some interesting work on REALLY memorizing a deck.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
I've successfully used the Derren Brown method in the past. Takes about half an hour after reading the method. Not hard at all.
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 16:03, mastermindreader wrote:
I've been known to do a card memory demonstration on occasion.

:eek:

I think it is there on Bob's DVD as a closer and also in one of his books !
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 19:06, OTTOEMEZZO wrote:
I've successfully used the Derren Brown method in the past. Takes about half an hour after reading the method. Not hard at all.

plerophoria?
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
231 Posts

Profile of Darby
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 17:22, Nicolino wrote:

Except that Osterlind also released a pamphlet on the Memorized BCS.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Quote:
On 2013-02-18 08:30, John Raff M wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 19:06, OTTOEMEZZO wrote:

plerophoria?

No, it was actually from his "Tricks of the Mind" book.
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
tony diss
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tony diss
With Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System you can't really get "lost" as it is more of a system. I use mnemonics and Breakthrough to do a ACAAN so if you "lose" a card you can still get to it if you know the card at the number one or two before that place in the deck. In other words I know most of the 52 positions in the deck but a few I have a little trouble with so if someone calls the number like 26 and I'm not sure of the that card I can backtrack. I KNOW the 25th card is 25 cents or one quarter with 5 diamonds encrusted into it(5♦). From there I can get to the next card the A♦. So as I said you really can't get stuck on a card the has slipped your memory at the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The memorized deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL