The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Born to Perform VS Daryls Ambitous Card DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
My next purchase is going to be on of these. Now on Born to Perform I know most of the stuff, I would be getting it for The biddle trick, The ambitous Card, The erdnase change, and some of the fans/spreads. I know the biddle trick, but that's just from watching a performance of it I figured it out, it would be nice to get a good explanation of it, and I've always wanted to learn the erdnase change. The thing is I don't have an ambitous card routine, I know nothing about ambitous card, because it never really interested me, but I see that laymen love it so I am going to learn it. So do you think I should get Daryls Ambitous or Born to Perform? Thanks in advance!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Get Ammar's ETMCM volume 2 and learn the ambitious card there...then buy royal road and expert card technique and learn some more sleights for it. as for the erdnase change, buy the expert at the card table by SW Erdnase to learn it. that book has some gems in it and it is only like $8 at Borders. Daryl's stuff you can buy if you have the money. born to perform...ummm..your choice...
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
I've got royal road and expert card, you think etmcm vol2 ambitous card is better than daryls dvd?
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
The Ambitous Card is, if rightly executed, a killer for lay people. I always use it as a finale pice, cause its very hard to beat.
The tape is a must if you want to learn this classical card effect.
If you also can get your hands on a copy of Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus, by Stephen Minch (long out of print), buy it. Everything on the tape is in this wonderful book.

Can't say much about Born To Perform, cause I don't have it yet

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
My suggestion to you would be not to buy any of Oz's tapes as they are basicly repeats of everything. If you are truly interested in the ambitious card then don't get any of the repeats, get the original and the one that got an award, get Daryls.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Daryl's DVD, I feel, is the best resource to date for the Ambitious Card routine. As for the Oz DVD, I like Oz, but the stuff on there can be learned from much better sources, as mentioned above.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Get Daryl's DVD. There's NO competition. I don't think I've ever been more pleased with a purchase than with Daryl's Ambitious Card.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Born To Preform teaches you a strong Ambitous Card Routine along with some other extremely useful material...Daryl gives you the moves for creating your own Ambitous card.

I'll let you be the judge...I'd go with BTP (getting more with you $$)
~joeKing
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
I don't own Born to Perform, so you have to take that under consideration when I give advice. I can say that I do own Daryl's Ambit. Card. It's great. Not only does he teach his own insanely long Ambit. Card routine, but then he says "Hey, let me show you about 20 other moves that work well with the ambit. card." Having his Encyc. of Card Magic, I thought that I wouldn't see anything I wasn't already exposed to, but I was very wrong. Nice sleights are on display on this DVD. I think you'd enjoy it.

I've heard good things about born to perform, so chances are you aren't going to make a bad choice.

Good Luck,

Curtis
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I would get Daryl's Ambitious and everything Oz teaches in his vid can be learned anywhere.

get Card College for the same price and learn more!

Hope That Helps.

Adam
immortaldusk
View Profile
New user
NY
60 Posts

Profile of immortaldusk
Daryl's Ambitious Card is a necessity to any magic video library. The jury is still out on Born to Perform.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Daryl's....anyday.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Daryl's video hands down!!!

There is no competition. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Another vote for Daryls videos.
JasonMythos
View Profile
New user
Hsinchu, Taiwan
86 Posts

Profile of JasonMythos
Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD is my first magic DVD.
It also contains a lot of useful sleights which you can apply to YOUR Ambitious Card routine.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
My vote is for Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD also. But I'm not comparing it to Born to Perfom.
I just love the amount of quality moves Daryl teaches. It's one of my favorite DVD's out of the 5 I own.
But I've heard the OZ DVD is good too.
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
OMG! Was that even a question? Get Daryl! I mean come on, who is Oz compared to Daryl. I for one had no clue what an ambitious card routine was, and after getting that video, you will understand it from A to Z, plus tons of moves to make YOUR routine , plus you'll get his FISM gold medal routine!! Is that enough to convince you?
-aka-
Phoenix
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Daryl all the way. Daryl is the original and the DVD was very comprehensive. You can go back for years and learn material.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I have Daryl's as well as Born To Perform. I say if you want a quick and concise ACR than go with Oz's BTP. I find Daryl's routine a little complex, albeit comprehensive, and he does not really go over the moves/techniques in great details. I won't recommend Daryl if you are a beginner in cards. Nonetheless, you will need to rewind a few times in BTP. Just my 2 cents.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2003-11-16 16:39, TheNightBringer89 wrote:
My next purchase is going to be on of these. Now on Born to Perform I know most of the stuff, I would be getting it for The biddle trick, The ambitous Card, The erdnase change, and some of the fans/spreads. I know the biddle trick, but that's just from watching a performance of it I figured it out, it would be nice to get a good explanation of it, and I've always wanted to learn the erdnase change. The thing is I don't have an ambitous card routine, I know nothing about ambitous card, because it never really interested me, but I see that laymen love it so I am going to learn it. So do you think I should get Daryls Ambitous or Born to Perform? Thanks in advance!

Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD is far suiperior than Oz short explanation on Born To perform.

Johnny Thompson does an excellent version of the Biddle Trick on his DVD set.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Born to Perform VS Daryls Ambitous Card DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL