The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What's your favorite Three Fly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
Hi everyone! I've been performing three fly for a while. I use several different routines. Some Troy Hooser, some McClintock to name a couple. My favorite right now is Scream Fly by McClintock. What is your favorite?
-Chris
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I have to say that Troy Hooser's Redirected Coins Across is my favorite. It's not technically a 3 fly but its the same basic plot with coins of vanishing at the fingertips and reappearing at the other.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
For some reason I'm still doing the same one from a long time ago. Open to better ideas though.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I have a mixture of moves I do to accomplish 3Fly. Some ideas I got from Curtis, Reed, Paul, and some moves I have no clue where they come from.LOL

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Watching Chris Kenner do his version. Smile Smile Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I like Chris Kenner's version too (seen it at the COINvention). I use Reed's Screamfly. Chris Kenner convinced me enough to use dollar coins (Morgans).
Smile
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I have been working on a full framed U3F routine that I like. One of the best ungaffed 3Fly routines I've seen, is by our own Jason Dean, though. He deals with many of the issues I've always had with the trick. For example, starting and ending clean, the second coin, and the final vanish. Jason, you are the rock star of the magic world.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
The only 3 fly that I know how to do is crowded coins by paul wilson. I really like the handeling and it is pretty easy to perform. I haven't gone to any effort to learn another version because this one is godd enough for me and has suited me well.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Paul Wilson has a greatone too, but he more often uses Kohler's now, he says. I sa Jamy Swiss at the Close U Convenion here in Phila who also kow, I believe, said he uses Kohler's but had worked out a marvelous routine years before the Kohler gaff. However, I still get cross-eyed following the coins. The oldler coins -across routines perhaps becasue they were longer,or because they made you focus on only one hand ,seemed better. They still do. Smile
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Quote:
On 2003-11-16 18:37, JonTown wrote:
Open to better ideas though.

You may have to wait a while...
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
The routine I perform is a cross of many others and a few moves of my own, but is basically the same as Chris Kenner's has ended up. I saw him at Coinvention and we have both landed at almost exactly the same spot.

It uses just coins, and the main differences is in hand placement for the vanishes and my second exchange prep. I like using just coins in case I drop them, or others come in contact with them. There is nothing to find.

I have found that you have to pace your routine on your audience. If they are the type with big reactions that look away, they miss the moment and hence the impact of the effect. Either condition them to watch closely, or do a different trick. A standard (miracle) coins across will work better for them, since the movement of the coins is better framed.

Whatever routine you do, I stress the need for no readjustments of the the coins or the fingers. By all means move the coins in displays, but after than, don't twitch or fumble. It goes to method.

Kirk
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Any 3 Fly that also works in a fingertip muscle pass.... Smile

Also Garrett Thomas's from Any Questions? takes most of the hard work out of the routine, as well as anything that looks like a "move," capturing the effect of 3 Fly at it's best.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Fingertip Muscle Pass? Yeah I still need Cointopia! Anyway I am working on Kainoa's Another Flippin' 3 Fly.

I start and end clean although I do something that if Kainoa found out about, he would probably punish me to eternal fire and ***ation....ok not that bad but he would cringe most definitly!

At least it looks VERY fair when I do it.

Chris
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I use a combo of Gary Kurtz, Wilson, and Kenner's (his handling of the last coin that is).
Jason
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Actually, Seismic, if it's what I think you might be doing (are you gaffing things again?) I have to confess that I might also be doing the same thing.

I'm tossing my purity issues to the wind, because I think technology is one of the few things that could actually sell 3-Fly (i.e. a gaff could capture the essence of the effect better than sleight of hand).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Folks, Please accept it from the guy who started this 'coin magic entirely in display/fingertips' thing... go for the EFFECT! The method is only there to enable you to perform the effect. I see great benefit in using a soldered or nesting set/flipper or such with a hook, pull or holdout to get things tidied up. Were I to be doing a 20 min set, a few times a night you can bet your most precious I woud be using such methods... and much more Smile

Me
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Paul Wilson's 3 Fly routine in the Knock Em Dead DVD.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Kainoa, I may just be doing what you're thinking. I'll send you a PM.

Chris
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Well I've waited long enough. I've been performing Reed's Freedom Fly which IMHO is great. However I've been trying to find my own little method of doing 3 Fly. Any of you guys out there have any good ideas where I could start?

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1677 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Wise words above from JonTown. I am constantly asking myself as I perform the trick: Is the effect clear? Are people un-confused? Does it look like real magic?

I say "BINGO!" to whatever method achieves these results.

Personally, I use Bob Kohler's. It eliminates some dodgy moments and really LOOKs magical.

I do think the effect works better if you produce the three coins first and, if possible, vanish them at the end. This frames the central Three Fly routine and adds even more magic to the presentation.

Cheers,
Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What's your favorite Three Fly? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL