The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What's your favorite Three Fly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
... and Kenner's (his handling of the last coin that is).

Would that be the ending he actually uses or the one he published in TOOC?
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Ummmm, what about presentational ideas for the trick?
Do you present it just as 3 coins disappear at the fingertips only to reappear at the other fingertips?

Or is there a story to be told, a reason, a metaphor for a principle at work or even a situational premise?

I only read about a presentational premise from Jon (the originator) on the Genii forum. Besides that...none.

My presentational premise is about perspective; it includes The Matrix (not the effect, the film) and poses questions about the power of the media.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Amon-Re
View Profile
New user
Holland
86 Posts

Profile of Amon-Re
My presentation at this moment is about the difference between dreaming and being awake. In your dreams everything is possible and you don't ask why or how. When your awake and would see exactly the same thing you would immediatly ask yourself how and why? In the end I conclude that it's ok to sometimes dream even though your awake. I hope it puts the people in the mode where they don't try too figure out how it's working. Btw I don't do three fly for very long and it never appealed to me until very recently.
TheGreatDane
View Profile
Regular user
White Plains, NY
183 Posts

Profile of TheGreatDane
I like Michael Rubinstein's Retro Fly from his coinvention lecture -- but I'm a tad biased: He's my cousin.
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." ~Vincent Van Gogh
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
I must admit all the variations of 3-fly are fantastic, as well as the magicians performing them, however I really find "Michael Rubinstein's" to be my favorite and the most enjoyable to watch. If you haven't seen it, you really should! I believe he calls it RETRO-FLY!.....GOOD JOB MIKE..,

Mickey
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hey Mickey, how about your Spit-Fly?????
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Actually Frank! I used to do "spit fly" as a joke. However people started to really like it. I changed the moves. I start out with 3 silver dollars in my right hand. I eat one silver dollar at a time, chew it, then spit it cleanly over to my left hand finger tips, where it magicaly appears one at a time till they all arrive. During the whole routine I show both hands emty at all times. I came up with a new form of mechanics. It really looks magical!
THANKS FOR ASKING FRANK!

Mickey
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Spit fly is definitely nearly normal.

It is the first routine that got me thinking about actually using a 3 fly.

Also I am blessed to have Jason Dean in my "home area". His work is creative and very interesting to watch.

Harris "Palms of Aluminum Foil" Deutsch
For the Lighter Side of Coin Magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Since folks are looking and thinking about the trick, perhaps a few ideas on 'formats' or 'presentations' might be useful

1) From Elbow to fingertips:
This is an extension of the classic penetration effect where a coin is passed through the hand and comes out at the palm or fingers...
The coins start in a fan at the left fingertips. The magician talks about those fancy old coin banks that you set in motion by putting coin in the slot somewhere. In this case, the slot is in the elbow over here... moving Left hand over to Right elbow. The mechanical bank does its thing... 'make funny noise if that's your style'... and the coin pops out over here * indicating coin pushed to fingertips of Right hand * The coin eventually gets dropped to the table or into a glass after any needed transfers.

2) The grey void:
A piece of cardboard about 12/24 is introduced and clipped to the mike stand. The performer remarks that the thing is only two dimensional and has length, width though no depth. The thing is turned to the side to show how it has negligable depth. The performer takes a coin and taps one side of the board, then passes it over to the other hand at the other side. The board is now turned sideways to the audience and the 'remarkable property' is demonstrated again Smile One hand holding coins comes just to one edge of the rectangle and behind it just a hair. The other hand does similarly and the mimed action is that of passing a coin from hand to hand just like before. Even though the hands come NOWHERE near each other, a coin winds up in the other hand. Again the theme here is that there is no distance behind the rectangle, as pseudo demonstrated by turning the thing sideways.

Qestions, comments and suggestions welcome
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1683 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Jon, Sounds like a gret idea, Having something to seperate the hands.

One question, Why cardboard and not a small frame with some glass?

Dan LeFay,
RE:Or is there a story to be told, a reason, a metaphor for a principle at work or even a situational premise?

I only read about a presentational premise from Jon (the originator) on the Genii forum. Besides that...none.

My presentation is for my International 3 fly, it's about having a race with 3 flies Housefly,horsefly and a dragonfly.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Joe, do time flies like an arrow?

The 'grey void' is the opaque area behind the cardboard which seems to have no physical distance even though it looks 24 inches wide.

Try this simple experiment to get a better idea of the premise here. Hold a coin at your Left fingertips at the LEFT edge of the monitor now. Take your right hand up and over the the left edge of the monitor and take the coin from the left fingertips. keeping this getsture in mind, reset the coin to your left fingertips. Dring your right hand up to the RIGHT edge of the monitor screen. Now for some imagination in action. Imagine the screen itself were somehow 'odd' in that when you bring the coin just inside the LEFT edge of the image area of the screen... the coin would appear and poke out from the RIGHT edge of the screen into your waiting right hand.

The premise is set by first turning the side of the cardboard to the audience and stating that the 'grey void' has no depth. Then turning the rectangle long side towards the audience and showing how anything you put in from one side shows up on the other side Smile

Using a transparent glass or (starting with) a frame would leave the audience looking for what is happening as opposed to imagining what is supposed to be happening. I rarely find moves or methods that look as good as what people can imagine.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
So Jon, it is kinda like a cosmic wormhole huh?

Micheal Leath
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Folks, I suspect that using 'wormholes' in a magic routine would benefit from some setup and plotting. Do you really want to present the audience with a stage or table full of space-time deformities? Likewise the explanation could get as trite as 'up his sleeve'. Perhaps a good theme for a well routined act?
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Jon, as I expected both your ideas are beyond cool.
You are the first person I'd call a "wormhole-type-a-guy":-)

I think the adding of an opaque screen between the "imaginable plane of travel" is a very interesting idea.
It's kinda like the tenyo trick with the pen and the spiral (invisible zone?).
How about a long, more or less hourglass shaped cylinder held horizontally (A bit like how they draw wormholes in science literature)?
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
TheGreatDane
View Profile
Regular user
White Plains, NY
183 Posts

Profile of TheGreatDane
If you are prone to overselling the trick, you might even find a way to confine your hands to one side or the other of the barrier (chain them up or something) so as to dispell any notion of them possibly coming near each other. Just a thought... Smile
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." ~Vincent Van Gogh
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Sankey had a coins across routine in which he used an hollow glass tube as a "wand". The coins rolled up and slid through the tube into the other hand where they unrolled.
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
It's called 'Bridging the Gap' and can be found in 'Sankey Panky' (Richard Kaufman 1986)... Great book! Smile

Although it's not a 3Fly routine...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

I love this forum...

Where I try to visualize a version of 'run rabbit run' using coins... someone else visualized a different take using a thumb tie or handcuffs.

Such is the creative diversity that helps us all.

For now I will stay with the simpler visual fun of the 'run rabbit run'. And I will keep the image of a coin trick happening while hands are restrained for future exploration.

Is anyone exploring a visual disintegration of the coins from a fan at the fingertips?
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Jon I have been working on a piece at a time coin flight. Basically it is a handling for the final coin. Instead of going all at once I get one piece to go then another until the entire coin has travelled. It isn't exactly where I want it yet but the basic method is. I am sure those knowledgeable workers can find the same road (perhaps a better one than I took).
Jason
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4150 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
For the few people that inquired, my routine "Retro Fly", is available in my COINvention lecture notes. Inquiries can be made to me by E mail, rubinsteindvm@aol.com
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What's your favorite Three Fly? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL