The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman Pinch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt_M
View Profile
New user
Good Old Southampton
11 Posts

Profile of Matt_M
I recently have been trying to find out how to do Sankey's "Found Money". I am finding out that since I have small hands I can't open my hand and show that my hand is empty and then make a fist again with the Goshman pinch. Any suggestions?

Matt
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
What size coins are you using ? I have not learned this particular routine but I use the pinch a lot. I started with Tenkai pennies, then 'graduated' to 3/4 across, I perform them with quarters but I have also done it with halves occasionally, and as for suggestions, all I can say is just keep practicing over and over and use a mirror to watch for where you flash -- you CAN do it if you put the time in, and it is something that you'll use.

If I can do it -- anyone can Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Matt_M
View Profile
New user
Good Old Southampton
11 Posts

Profile of Matt_M
I have been using coins, and I've been finding it quite difficult. Also, when I open my hand you can see the quarter protruding a little bit. Where can I get Tenkai penny? Thanks!

Matt
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Tenkai pennies is in the hardcover edition of Bobo's & also can be found on Jay Sankey's 'Sankeytized 2' which are both great resources for a lot more effects as well. Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Matt_M
View Profile
New user
Good Old Southampton
11 Posts

Profile of Matt_M
Thanks again bigchuck.

Matt
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
What sized coins have you been using Matt? Try something smaller. Also at first try opening your hand really slowly being very conscious of your fingers and how they are holding the coins. I found that this really helped me to get the hang of it.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I have small hands, and therefore started with small coins. After WEEKS of practicing, I shifted to larger ones. Don´t give up.

HÃ¥kan

Smile
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Actually here's a funny suggestion. Go as fast as you can! Literially throw it there. Sometimes as you go slow you strain and drop it. By going fast your muscles slip by one another more easily. Now I am not saying perform it fast, just in practice. Try all the methods to get it there, ie Goshman, York, Apollo Robbins, etc. That way you will get your fingers used to what it feels like and you will be more comfortable.

Also a main point is correct display position. If "pinching" in your right hand, the hand should be palm up with fingers pointing to the LEFT. This position hides any peak of the coin. Over time, as you improve, you will be able to peak less and point fingers more to the right, but it really is better with fingers to the left.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
IMHO this move is worth the time to learn.

I just learned a new application on Dr. Rubensteins Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights in the Spell Bound Section.

My hands are some of the smallest of the magicians that I have met over the years. I like doing the move with small american coins like dimes and quarter.(Though I can do it with larger size coins.)

I learned from books and manuscripts.(of course I was blessed to see Mr. Goshman work in the mid 70's)

As others will tell you Mr. Goshman's pinch comes from the Tenkai Pinch. Bobo, I think refered to it both ways in his Modern Coin....(At least to my best recollection after being awake since 5:30 this morning.

Small amounts of repition helped my learning curve in the early days.

Of course 1 to 1 is the best.

Check out one of your local "coin guys" or try to get to a convention.

I have only been to 3 in the last 22 years. 2 have been in the last year. I have got the magic bug once again.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Anthatron
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Anthatron
It was tricky for me to get this pinch just right until I saw Sol Stone explain it on his video Quick and Casual Close-Up. He does not push the coin into postion but allows it to roll as he closes his hand. It's very smooth. I like to use quaters whenever using this pinch. Also keep in mind that although you may be able to see a sliver of the coin edge through your fingers the spectator will never think of it.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
If they see it, they will think of it. Just turn your hand so the thumb side is facing the spectators.

Spectators are more noticable than you think, they are just being polite. You will see a diffference in their reaction when you really fry them.

Kirk
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I learned this from Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD. Jay uses it a lot in his routines and so takes the time to explain it well at the begining and then goes over little subtleties in other places on the DVD. He also shows two ways of getting into the pinch, the traditional way and a newer way involving a fist. I can't do it the traditional way, but the second method works really well. He also goes through turning the hand to expose the empty palm

David.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I agree with David's post. Jay has a great way to get into it and teaches it well. One other thing to keep in mind is that Jay has small (but talented) hands,also.
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Quote:
Bobo, I think refered to it both ways in his Modern Coin....

I have Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and was just looking for this. The only mention of Tenkai I could find was in the description of a routine where there's no pinch involved. And I couldn't find Goshman at all.

I've heard that there are two editions of Bobo's book, though; I have the paperback Dover edition. Does this mean that I don't have the Tenkai/Goshman Pinch in my copy? Or is it just under a different name altogether?
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
You need the New Modern Coin Magic, by J.B. Bobo, revised and expanded, copyright 1966, by Magic, Inc. The dover edition is the original Carl Waring Jones edition, and is substantially smaller in terms of content.

There is a terrific way to get into the pinch that was first proposed and popularized by Scotty York, in his "Scotty York on Coins". And there is the standard technique as described in Bobo. The history of this move/concealment has been discussed at length here in the past. Do a search and you will be amazed at the information that is at your disposal!

I have used this for decades, and have several effects that cannot be duplicated in any other way - it is definitely worth learning.

By the way, here is an interesting version of the Tenkai Pennies: use a Kennedy half and an English Penny! The contrasting coins cancel out the possibility of a substitution and makes the trick unfathomable... Oh yeah, there are really just two coins.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 18:00, pchosse wrote:

By the way, here is an interesting version of the Tenkai Pennies: use a Kennedy half and an English Penny! The contrasting coins cancel out the possibility of a substitution and makes the trick unfathomable... Oh yeah, there are really just two coins.

Would one of those coins happen to be a c/s?

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 18:12, psherman wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 18:00, pchosse wrote:

Would one of those coins happen to be a c/s?

Paul

But of course! That is one part of a coin routine I constructed that includes a production, a c/s transposition in the spectator's hand, a Penetration Through the Hand, Presto Chango, a Coin Through the Table, a hand to hand transposition, and a surprise ending - none of it in that order, and not all of the effects mentioned included at all times. The idea was to carry three coins (half, penny, and c/s) and do a complete coin act. Believe it or not, it was developed when I worked in a magic shop, specifically to sell c/s's. I ultimately worked out several sets with the coins mentioned, and after 30 years I still carry those three coins plus a large coin (an English penny from 1797 called a cartwheel - the size of a silver dollar, but thicker, and solid copper) all the time...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
I would use a different way than Sankey teaches.

I just found out a new and easier way to get the coin into pinch much easier.

PM me for details.

TJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman Pinch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL