We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Botania Origins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Serrodash
View Profile
New user
Alaska
52 Posts

Profile of Serrodash
I've known about this gaudy mess for awhile but I've also known that it is based on a truly beautiful and old effect (learned through the books of wonder). Where can I find the original method? I'm a card worker but I really want to see this effect and maybe someday perform it. Thanks for the help.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
"gaudy mess"

I'm wondering what effect you have seen, or whose product.

Are you talking about a tube and flower production? This has existed for centuries (literally), with the more mechanical versions being more "recent".

B

(P.S. Save me time and give the ref. in the B of W to which you are referring, perhaps I can give you more info.)
Serrodash
View Profile
New user
Alaska
52 Posts

Profile of Serrodash
He talks about it in his essay "Practical Thinking" on page 271. He describes the original as follows. "A pot is filled with earth and covered with an empty cone. When the cone is lifted , a small sprout is seen to have grown. The pot is again covered, and eventually the sprout becomes a full grown rosebush. At the conclusion of the effect, the roses are cut off and given to members of the audience." The essay is about how the more popular 'botania' sprang from this effect, explaining how practicality had created a much worse effect. I am talking about the tube and flower production, but I can only find the modern mechanical versions. I am looking for a resource on the older effect which uses a real rosebush and allows the performer to show the tube as empty. I have seen the common botania and a few ones which had prettier and less cheap looking load, but I don't want to buy such a thing as even the nicest looking ones are a far cry from the effect I'm looking for. I am woefully ignorant of stage illusion, so thanks for bearing with me.
Serrodash
View Profile
New user
Alaska
52 Posts

Profile of Serrodash
Page 271 of volume 1 that is
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The Growth of Flowers has been a popular plot for a long, long time. Many magicians performed this and most had their own spin on it. You will have to look for some older books for the most part to find references to these.

You might find info or leads online if you search for, Mango Tree, or Kellar Flower Growth, or Germain Flower Growth.

Without looking myself, I am pretty sure there will be some info in books by Hoffmann, Goldston, and others.

The large book on Karl Germain has his version described in good detail.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

I was going to suggest Germain also, another reference may be those Chinese acrobats that also did magic with flowers and bowls of water etc.

B

P.S. PM sent
Serrodash
View Profile
New user
Alaska
52 Posts

Profile of Serrodash
Thanks for all the help, I'll definitelly be hunting down the versions you've listed.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1495 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The Kellar version is well explained in Fitzkee...probably as a lesson of sorts in Magic by Misdirection./

Regards
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

I'll have to take a look there also! Can you indicate which volume as a reference for this thread?

B
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Thought ya'll might wanna see this, if you haven't already, http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......0aetvln4
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

LOL Now Serrodash has a visual of the method I described to him in a PM!!

B
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
There is also this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUflIIFJ7U

~M~
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think we have to look at flower growths/productions versus botania productions. When you say botania, I think of the mechanical mechanism that allows a bush about 1/3 to 1/2 taller than the production tubes. The first actual botanias were made in Germany near as I have been able to trace.

Flower Growths can be traced back to the Hindu fakirs of India. Kellar's routine is also in Elliot's Last Legacy.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Check an interesting version in HoYam's book.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Mmmmmm....I will! Loved some of his effects.

B
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I got to see several of them up close at the History Conference in LA. Pretty crude but in his hands a work of art.

Jay Leslie did a lot of work restoring the act. The flowers were still all original Marshall that had been reworked.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I built a version of his flower bush, although my production method was different. At the time, I was making my own feather flowers, so I used his method to make a production bush. It was almost four feet high when fully opened. The mechanics are quite simple. I stole the load similar to a stack of bowls, but using a silk fountain that has a 6 footer in the center. Plenty of cover.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Botania Origins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL