The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Royal Road to Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Which DVD set is superior to learn basic card skills. R Paul Wilson's Royal Road to Card Magic or Rudy Hunter's Royal Road to card magic (Magic Makers).
Both seem like complete sets. Anyone want to offer an opinion.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
The R. Paul Wilson version. Excellent card guy and teacher.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
I haven't seen the Rudy Hunter set, but the R. Paul Wilson set is excellent.
Presarian
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Rudy Hunter's Version have some unique effects in it. WOrth a look. But Paul is an excellent teacher (:
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have seen only part of the M.M DVD set on RRTCM. Skip it. Get the set that R.Paul Wilson is on. You will be very happy with it. If you buy the M.M. You may find that you will be very unhappy with it.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Yes.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
So far, looks like Wilson is in the lead. Thanks for the input
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It depends if you want to focus in the presentation or just the effect and technique.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
leechiswell
View Profile
Regular user
England
108 Posts

Profile of leechiswell
R. Paul Wilson's is excellent. It also does contain some effects not found in the book, such as Roy Walton's excellent Pass at Red.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
My focus is on learning basic card techniques. I've spent most of my time in magic working on everything but cards. I can palm a card and do a great double lift (thank you daryl's ambitious card) and toss the lady but not much else. Just want to be a bit more proficient in basic card magic. When someone tosses me a deck. I get by just fine with that (palm/card to pocket-ambitious card, other DL techniques (quality over quantity)- just want a reference.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
I've seen the one that's not RPW, and it's fine. however, those who have seen both appear to overwhelmingly prefer the RPW version
Xaerius
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Xaerius
I, too, prefer RPW's version. Smile

Nigel
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Wilson gets my vote too !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
After watching Wilson's version several times, you will begin to notice inconsistencies. These usually manifest in the context of "performance" versus "explanation". i.e. Paul will do a performance -- and then during the trick's explanation -- alter certain aspects of its presentation. In other words, what you see Paul perform is not always what the explanation offers, at least not precisely.

Having said all that, it's not necessarily a bad thing... it just warrants mention. Paul is a great performer, and the discrepancies certainly provide food for thought. i.e. "In the real world, would Paul perform it like he did just then, or would he adjust it slightly as in his explanation?" Of course, that leads to something much more important: "what would work best for me?" and so on.

I have no experience with the other DVD set. Paul's is great, but I just think the points I've made here are noteworthy.

Cheers.

PS -- Make sure you have the book too!!
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
This post I am going to make may get me in trouble, but, magicians helping magicians also means advising magicians against rip-off artists. Without a doubt I would advise getting R. Paul Wilson's set. I have nothing against Rudy Hunter, but I and many other magicians and dealers have serious issues with Magic Makers. They are notorious for outright lifting of effects, etc., and doing cheap knock offs. The magicians that work for them are just trying to make a buck and I understand that, but, Magic Makers has built its business on stealing. This is not slander as a search on Magic Makers in this forum and others such as Genii will reveal that Magic Makers has not changed its ways. Viking Magic/Collector's Workshop was a favorite target of Magic Makers and George has lost a lot of revenue to MM.

R. Paul Wilson is also one of the best in the business and I have yet to read a negative review of his treatment of this Hugard and Braue classic.

Best,
Vlad
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The R. Paul Wilson set is the superior set.

Royal Road is not a beginners book. It's a magcians book. Begnners as well as very seasoned magcians will derive great benefit from it.

Get the DVD set AND the book. They should be used together.
Shayde Phoenix
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
116 Posts

Profile of Shayde Phoenix
I haven't seen MM version, but have Wilson's and it's great.
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 06:56, Vlad_77 wrote:
This post I am going to make may get me in trouble, but, magicians helping magicians also means advising magicians against rip-off artists. Without a doubt I would advise getting R. Paul Wilson's set. I have nothing against Rudy Hunter, but I and many other magicians and dealers have serious issues with Magic Makers. They are notorious for outright lifting of effects, etc., and doing cheap knock offs. The magicians that work for them are just trying to make a buck and I understand that, but, Magic Makers has built its business on stealing. This is not slander as a search on Magic Makers in this forum and others such as Genii will reveal that Magic Makers has not changed its ways. Viking Magic/Collector's Workshop was a favorite target of Magic Makers and George has lost a lot of revenue to MM.

R. Paul Wilson is also one of the best in the business and I have yet to read a negative review of his treatment of this Hugard and Braue classic.

Best,
Vlad

Fine post as always. I'll be honest; I didn't even know there was another DVD set. I lean towards the bookish side but as it's one of my favourites, I had to see how it looked on DVD. Paul's set is excellent, but OP, be sure to read the original descriptions too. DVDs can -- and should -- aid in the difficulty some of us might find in understanding the written word.

Enjoy the book, and its visual counterpart.
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Vincero,

Thanks man for the kind words. I too am more of a book guy and like you, I strongly suggest to the OP that he study the book along with R. Paul's DVD set. There's a lot of love for Card College - and I am one of those who loves it - but RRTCM should never be underestimated and, if it is good enough for a magician of R. Paul Wilson's caliber, it's good for hacks like me.

Best,
Vlad
bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
I watched both of them, they are both excellent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Royal Road to Card Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL