The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Illusion works – Illusion Systems – Inexpensive Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Dilemma - which one/set for a beginner?

Thanks for your help,

Mike.
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Inexpensive Illusions would probably be your best bet, starting out. Illusion Systems is also good for beginners. Illusion Works should be considered an excellent reference by someone who already knows the principles, concepts and ideas behind large stage illusions.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Illusions do not make a magician, it is the audience connection and how they relate to the effect and the entertainer.
Dennis Michael
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I am in your shoes, being a beginner wanting to get into illusions and maybe making a show? (I'm guessing.)

If you want to make very chap and easy illusions (from cardboard boxes, etc), then go for Innexpensive Illusions.

I built a sub trunk with no plans just by basic knowledge, but now I have bought my first illusion book which is great. I have Osborne's System of Illusions Volume 1 and it is everything I have been looking for.

System of Illusions has 7 great plans within it that are made from mostly wood, and can look very professional with a little work. Out of the 7, there are about 4 that interest me very much so already! I have only had the book for about a week! Also, there is a ton of information for beignners in general. There is a section about the machinery and tools you need, finishing and painting, universal ideas/building plans (swords, table legs, blades, basic and advanced bases for illusions, etc.) I highly recommend this book!

Hope this helps,

Evan
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Necessarily have ILLUSIONWORKS. Smile
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Remember that the audience is there to be entertained, not to witness a prop trade show. Like most magicians my age (58) I have spent a fortune on props that don't add much to my show. More people remember my doves and rope routine better than the expensive props I also use. Don't forget that even for the most seasoned pro, props always spend more hours in storage than minutes on stage for the audience.

1. Entertainment is primary.
2. Magic is the vehicle.
3. Props are just tools.

Most audiences stop at stage #1. What color suit and tie did President Bush wear in his last news release you read? Remember many details? They probably cost more than some of the best magic acts' props in the business. They know what they are doing. Magic props for use in magic shows are not the primary reason for being there. When the band is more important than your date, you're missing the point.

Very entertaining shows don't really require more investment in props than talent. Collecting magic props is a separate thing. It's like the difference between playing baseball and collecting baseball cards. They are two different occupations. Both are honorable, but they are only vaguely related. Doing magic is based upon what you sell. Prop collecting is based upon what you buy. If you can't afford both, you must be pretty close to normal, even for a magician.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Thanks for the reply's everyone,

Where is the best place to purchase Darwins Inexpensive Illusions? It would have to be an internet dealer cause I'm from downunder hehe.

Thanks everyone,

Mike.
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Illusion works – Illusion Systems – Inexpensive Illusions (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL