The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Practicing everywhere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
I'm curious to hear if anyone else practices in public when they get a few spare minutes, and in particular, what do you practice? I tend to practice cards, particularly DL's, false cuts, and some flourishes.
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of failed_drummer
Yep. Any time I'm bored I play with my cards or elastic bands. I mostly just practice stuff like the TG Murphy deck flip or whatever technical move I'm working on, like Ernest Earick's broadside/longitudinal swivel steal. Or the pass.
The_Great_Dubini
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of The_Great_Dubini
I always have a deck of cards on me. Always practicing.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Practice while you drive a car to raise the stakes.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Everytime I'm walking, I'm practising either push-off DLs or the pass (which I every other step). In the elevator, I do one-handed shuffles and cuts, and at work, seated, turn-over and table passes, or overhand shuffle controls of all kinds.

P!
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 16:53, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
Practice while you drive a car to raise the stakes.

If you can do this while texting it becomes a real art.
Mentalism in Ontario.
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Got a total of two hours on a bus getting to and from work each day and utilise it whenever I can, I wont get my deck out if its crowded but I've learned over time what I can practice, various ML's and the pass being obvious examples.

Due to the random changes in momentum fancy cuts are out the question while moving, I've felt a bit of a tit at times when the deck ends up on the deck, cards falling on a gritty bus floor destroys the air cushion finish too.

The windows have a mirror-like quality depending on light level which is handy too, if its quiet I'll happily work on the 3P, side steal, colour changes, ACR etc

You can toy with people a bit as well, I like practicing the elmsey with about 8 cards, I assume that anyone paying attention thinks I've got OCD or something until I remove a card, still count 4 for a bit then repeat until I'm counting 2 as 3.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 13:05, ahattrick wrote:
I'm curious to hear if anyone else practices in public when they get a few spare minutes, and in particular, what do you practice? I tend to practice cards, particularly DL's, false cuts, and some flourishes.

I think that you must find practicing to be pleasurable if you want to make progress as a magician. With that said, I must confess that I don't do overt practice (that is, practice that would telegraph that I'm practicing) in public. (I find it easier to focus on that sort of practice when it's conducted in private.) Also, it seems to me that practicing in public can sometimes be a bit rude.

I have practiced covert moves and sleights while in public. For instance, I once spent weeks classic palming a coin. I'd do everything that I'd normally do, but with a coin secretly hidden. I got to the point where I could button my shirt, pick up a glass and drink from it, and tie my shoes, all the while with a coin secretly palmed. After a while, my hands quit feeling like they were 'guilty' of something.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 18:51, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 13:05, ahattrick wrote:

I think that you must find practicing to be pleasurable if you want to make progress as a magician. With that said, I must confess that I don't do overt practice (that is, practice that would telegraph that I'm practicing) in public. (I find it easier to focus on that sort of practice when it's conducted in private.) Also, it seems to me that practicing in public can sometimes be a bit rude.

I have practiced covert moves and sleights while in public. For instance, I once spent weeks classic palming a coin. I'd do everything that I'd normally do, but with a coin secretly hidden. I got to the point where I could button my shirt, pick up a glass and drink from it, and tie my shoes, all the while with a coin secretly palmed. After a while, my hands quit feeling like they were 'guilty' of something.

I try that at work too, using a keyboard all day with coins in palm took a while to get use to.
sroccaserra
View Profile
New user
Asnières, France
56 Posts

Profile of sroccaserra
Hi,

I love to practice anywhere. Since I have little private time, I have no choice but to practice in the train, or at work.

In the train, I do mostly DLs or passes. At my desk, when I read code or programming docs, I practice the push through shuffle and up the ladder.

One time I was practicing the push through in the coffee room with a red black separated deck. Someone was watching me and said "hey, show me a trick!". I did one more push through and said "Is it shuffled enough?" He said "Yes, you've been shuffling for five minutes." Someone else joined in and I did Out of This World. They enjoyed it a lot, and they left talking about the trick, and how the cards were shuffled, and how I did nothing at all!

So I like practicing, but I don't show what I do, and sometimes it gives me a lucky break.

Cheers!
Sébastien.
Bluebird
View Profile
New user
Poland
16 Posts

Profile of Bluebird
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 18:51, BarryFernelius wrote:

I think that you must find practicing to be pleasurable if you want to make progress as a magician.

I've recently heard a great piece of advice that helps me do more "formal" practice (i.e. with mirrors and paying close attetion to the moves): When I don't quite feel like practicing (but don't feel too strong about it), I will just think to myself: "I'm going to practice for just 5 minutes, and then if I don't like it, I will stop". Most of the time, once I get started I really enjoy it and don't want to stop.
Siekomagic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
76 Posts

Profile of Siekomagic
I pretty much practice everywhere ! At home in the car in the office, every minute that I can. Mostly coins and card flourishes. It depends where I am as to what I am going to practice.
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
I tend to practice at school a lot. Everyone is in their own little world so no one really notices. I keep my practice to small things anyway. DL's and card control. No one is bothered and no one bothers me. It works pretty well.
-Jason Porter
BRMagic
View Profile
New user
NYC
40 Posts

Profile of BRMagic
I practice at work. I tend to find a corner in the Caféteria and practice different sleights. No one really knows what I'm doing to be honest.
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I like that idea of covert practice. To that end, I tend to practice stud seconds or bottoms on the plane, since it looks like I'm playing solitaire. Practicing spread culls and pinky counts also shouldn't attract much attention.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 18:38, Stevie Tricker wrote:
Got a total of two hours on a bus getting to and from work each day and utilise it whenever I can, I wont get my deck out if its crowded but I've learned over time what I can practice, various ML's and the pass being obvious examples.

Due to the random changes in momentum fancy cuts are out the question while moving, I've felt a bit of a tit at times when the deck ends up on the deck, cards falling on a gritty bus floor destroys the air cushion finish too.

The windows have a mirror-like quality depending on light level which is handy too, if its quiet I'll happily work on the 3P, side steal, colour changes, ACR etc

You can toy with people a bit as well, I like practicing the elmsey with about 8 cards, I assume that anyone paying attention thinks I've got OCD or something until I remove a card, still count 4 for a bit then repeat until I'm counting 2 as 3.

Hey Trick, sounds like me somewhat. Smile

I'm much more of a coin guy but like to play with cards while on the bus to and from work. Coins you can really play with as you're moving around and I do all the time but nothing's better than practicing with cards when you got yourself a seat. I'm no great worker or anything like that but some people on the bus might think so at times, Smile as I practice flourishes and cuts. Smile I often catch people watching me, happened this morning, Smile and will try out the DL and TLs on them in an Ambitious sorta way. Nothing's better than the deck flips though, they can't believe it. Smile Me either but I dropped a lot of cards early on to be able to do that stuff now so consistently on a moving, bouncy bus. Smile It was really all a part of the practice to not let the bus control me but let me control my actions. Kept playing with it and it worked. Smile So you should try it more Trick. The more you get through it and challenge your command of the deck, the better you get at it all. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
I practice in the crapper. I have a deck of cards in all my bathrooms.
joesquire
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of joesquire
Been practicing a move that apparently turns a d**ble over but leaves the t*p card on the table and the b****m card p**med.

Been doing it at my desk with my business cards...
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I don't practice new material in public at all. Mostly because I perform the same set during walk around gigs so frequently. I like to practice my new material at home.
Josh
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
Not in public but I keep a deck of cards, a few coins and some rubberbands in my desk at work.

I practice as I get a chance.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Practicing everywhere (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL