The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A strong Magic Square performance (standing ovation every time) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I was speaking at a marketing event in Los Angeles last week and performed my Magic Square routine which is a lot different than the way everyone performs it. So if you would like to see a completely different twist on it, the link is below. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/YKYF6DQlMeA
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I like the way you put yourself into it, communicating something more than trickery or superior skills. Nice.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Thank you. The crowd gave you its opinion on the performance. It's nice to see some good original thinking on presenting the Square!

If I can offer a suggestion, I'd really like to watch you slowly write the original numbers on the blank board, so all can watch it build into its finale. That way, you get a clean build from start to finish.

I can see folks using your approach with Doug Dyment's new Square method in his new book.

Nicely done, I was certainly impressed. Congrats.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Thanks guys

@Tom...

When you say to write it slowly, do you mean to write down one number, lets say at 20 seconds into it...then another at 30 seconds...etc etc until the board is complete?

The reason I don't do that is because the one that has to "write" it on the board is not "Benji Bruce" but the other version of "Benji Bruce." So when "Benji Bruce" is wondering what to do, the other version says "I will write down these words for your mind to break free...." and he writes it all down for "Benji Bruce" to see.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Wow. Awesome performance Benji. Well, well done. I love the presentational premise...very strong.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I liked not being able to see any of it, your intentions are not known, you could be doing anything, what is writing numbers? people might start to add, PLUS it may give away a thought process, or show the time taken

when you turn it around, it could be anything, they may think it is a grid to get to the number, and in their heads the speed is key, it looks like quick scribbles, then it's actually a lot more

it's a small moment but the doubt can be there when they do not see the number,

don't change it
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
372 Posts

Profile of chill
Nicely done Benji Bruce.
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Perhaps at that point slow down a bit with dialogue so that you are laying on the numbers and emphasizing the points? I'd assumed yu'd be putting them all in at once, like you do now, but visually... Laying it in a bit at a time sounds real intriguing...can that be done? The more curiosity you draw to the random numbers and "What's your point?" the more amazing when you show all the parts are created from the whole, the whole is in all the parts.

You're excellent like you are, tho. I'm pondering just from the point of me being an audience member, what would work for me. I believe perfection is there to poke and kick.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
.(Doublepost)
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1316 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
That was POWERFUL. Extremely well done Benji!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 18:16, Olympic Adam wrote:
I liked not being able to see any of it, your intentions are not known, you could be doing anything, what is writing numbers? people might start to add, PLUS it may give away a thought process, or show the time taken

when you turn it around, it could be anything, they may think it is a grid to get to the number, and in their heads the speed is key, it looks like quick scribbles, then it's actually a lot more

it's a small moment but the doubt can be there when they do not see the number,

don't change it

Exactly!

Thanks guys. The main thing I plan on changing are my "eyes"...I feel like my eyes should show more "aggression"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Wonderfully entertaining performance. Loved it.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Kudos sirrah
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Good job, Benji!
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Bravo Benji!
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
MindreaderDavid
View Profile
New user
St Paul
68 Posts

Profile of MindreaderDavid
This is incredible. I only hope I can create something just as powerful.

This is literally one of the only magic square presentations I have ever liked.

What was your process of coming up with and piecing the premise of this together?
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
What do I see?? Benji Bruce .... making an absolute fortune with presentations like that. Smile

That was fantastic, mate. Well done.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3041 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Benji: sent you an email.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 22:32, Paul Shirley wrote:
What do I see?? Benji Bruce .... making an absolute fortune with presentations like that. Smile

That was fantastic, mate. Well done.

Thanks lol
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 22:19, DavidGamut wrote:
This is incredible. I only hope I can create something just as powerful.

This is literally one of the only magic square presentations I have ever liked.

What was your process of coming up with and piecing the premise of this together?

I actually came up with it when I was in college. I've always been into Slam Poetry and I thought the magic square was a perfect combination because it builds to overwhelm the audience. So when combining that overwhelming revelation with a massive amount of energy from a slam poem...I figured it would be a good presentation Smile

And I've always watched how people have this inner battle with themselves. We say "I'm going to work out more" and then we don't. We say "Money is the root of all evil" and it's merely something someone told us which led us to believe it.

Combining everything seemed like such a good fit Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A strong Magic Square performance (standing ovation every time) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL