The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Trailer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
All 3 of the movies mentioned in this discussion look highly entertaining to me.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I hope we didn't see all of the good parts in the trailer.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-03-15 16:40, NicholasD wrote:
I hope we didn't see all of the good parts in the trailer.

There were good parts in the trailer? Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Well just got back from the 5:30 showing. Theater was mostly empty and only two people were at the previous showing.

I went in with pretty low expectations for this film. Yet the movie still failed to meet them. The film had a couple of mild chuckles. But there were no laugh out loud moments. What few jokes there were were badly telegraphed or the timing completely wrong.

To be fair I'm not a big Steve Carell fan, and even less of a Will Ferrel one. So to watch Carell trying to do Ferrel for me was extremely painful.

The only glimmer of hope this film had was the scenes with Alan Arkin. But they were too few and far between to save the movie.

All in all I'd say "Wait for DVD" then you could use it as a coaster so it at least would serve a useful purpose.

The only high point of the evening was that I got to fill out a survey about the movie as I was leaving the theater. So at least I could tell them their movie was less, far, far less than stellar.

Burt Wonderstone --- Bad for magic, bad for Movies.

If you want to see a far better film about the foibles of a pair of magicians try to find a copy of the Turkish film Hokkabaz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3RGPX7ar8
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
- I agree that the Alan Arkin character was the strongest character.
I disagree that Steve carell Was doing a will ferell.
This movie obviously had a script unlike most Ferrell movies.
I thought the take on S & R and chris angel were very funny.. And there was a lot of attention to detail here too..Even down to the 'just off timing' of the switch with the hangman illusion. I loved the line about the Elmsley count..
thought the archetypes in this movie were well pulled off.
The message to this movie should be taken to heart by a lot of magicians and performers.. Yes, I actually got something out of this..
Too many of us never change and get stuck in a rut with our shows.. Forgetting why we started doing this magic game in the first place.
I usually take anything that master payne says as gospel, and of course peoples enjoyment of movies vary greatly..but I respectfully disagree with his
Panning of this motion picture and still urge everyone to check it out.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Comedies are hard to recommend because of the many difference in what people think "funny is". I went in a good mood, and expecting it to be "so-so" and I was pleasantly surprised. It's OK that Payne didn't like it.

I have difficulty understand "British Humor" so I was surprised that I like a Monty Python movie.

There are so many "in" humor bits for magicians in this movie, the Elmsley count, quick "card change" but it wasn't a card that changed, audience vanish, stuck in a rut, etc.

I also can understand why a lay person may think this is an OK film.

Like many above, it's a night out with the potential of a lot of laughter.

Take a chance...you may find it putting a nice smile on your face. Have a drink before hand, relax, and watch the movie.
Dennis Michael
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Just got back from the theatre. Took my mom to see it.

I thought it was pretty doggone funny! I got a kick out of it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-03-16 21:24, daffydoug wrote:

I thought it was pretty doggone funny! I got a kick out of it.

It seems you're one of the few. Most of the rest of the country wasn't so amused it seems.

From http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0......fice/?hp

Steve Carell’s “Burt Wonderstone” (Warner Brothers) was a disappointing third, taking in an estimated $10.3 million. This film, which received dismal reviews and a C-plus score from audiences in exit polls, cost $32 million to make.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
While the film only got 39% approval from the critics, it nonetheless got 63% approval from audiences. (63% gave it a rating of 3 stars or higher)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incr......erstone/
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I started watching "The Great Buck Howard" but haven't quite finished it. Rather a disappointment, actually. One of those films that seeks to achieve humor by ridiculing everyone in it. At least so far.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I don't care about reviews or what other's thought of the movie. With Steve Buscemi in it, I will watch it anyway. Steve Buscemi will always get me to the theatre or make a DVD purchase.
Thanks for posting.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Buscemi is great.

I enjoyed the film. It wasn't "The Prestige," but it had me laughing and I was entertained. And that's all I was hoping for.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-03-18 07:10, mastermindreader wrote:
I enjoyed the film. It wasn't "The Prestige," but it had me laughing and I was entertained. And that's all I was hoping for.

Well said!
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-03-17 22:12, Payne wrote:

Steve Carell’s “Burt Wonderstone” (Warner Brothers) was a disappointing third, taking in an estimated $10.3 million. This film, which received dismal reviews and a C-plus score from audiences in exit polls, cost $32 million to make.

I never listen to critics when it comes to comedy movies. Critics generally have a different opinion on what is funny. Some people hate the "Three Stooges" slap-stick comedy, while others think the "Hangover" is funny.

This movie fits the well for most magicians, and a lot will go over the heads of critics.

This is one of those comedies one can't predict who will like it and who won't for varies reasons.

When most here on this Café thread recommend it, I would think most Café members should see it.
Dennis Michael
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
We had a group of 4 go watch it and we laughed all the way through it. I think it really is a movie for magicians. There were about 30 in the theater when we went and everyone was laughing. Everyone in our group said they'd like to see it again. But we all like Carell, Buscemi and Carrey anyway so...
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
I thought it was OK, it was funny and my wife and I laughed which is what I paid to do.

The plot was dumb but funny so not that bad I guess.

I do believe they will at least make back what they put into the film. However, it will by no means be a blockbuster hit.

Look at Silver Linings Playbook it only raked in about 2.5 million opening weekend which is pathetic now since its been out has made over 120 million I believe.

Burt Wonderstone made 10 million opening weekend so it still has a chance.

-Bobby
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 05:05, mastermindreader wrote:
While the film only got 39% approval from the critics, it nonetheless got 63% approval from audiences. (63% gave it a rating of 3 stars or higher)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incr......erstone/

We are BRAGGING on 63%? Ouch...this sounds truly terrible. Smile

I'm typically right in line with the critics, maybe because I've seen so many movies. Dunno. I really REALLY hope I'm wrong. Maybe the good thing is that now I have pretty much no hope of this being a decent movie and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Not BRAGGING on anything. Just reporting that more audience members liked the film than didn't.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
262 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Quote:
On 2013-03-16 00:46, Payne wrote:
If you want to see a far better film about the foibles of a pair of magicians try to find a copy of the Turkish film Hokkabaz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3RGPX7ar8

The trailer for Hokkabaz looks hilarious, but it doesn't seem to be available as a Region 1 DVD (U.S.). Bummer!

Going to see Burt Wonderstone on Thursday and couldn't care less about the naysayers. Carell + Carrey + Buscemi + magic is my kind of combo.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 06:42, irossall wrote:
I don't care about reviews or what other's thought of the movie. With Steve Buscemi in it, I will watch it anyway. Steve Buscemi will always get me to the theatre or make a DVD purchase.
Thanks for posting.
Iven Smile

Couldn't agree more about Steve Buscemi. I think his character, Nucky Thompson on Boardwalk Empire helped revive his career though; not that it needed reviving for me. He's always been at the top of his game in any performance I've seen. I'll see it on the big screen just to see Buscemi.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Trailer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL