The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Trailer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
They were all pretty funny. I really got a kick out of the movie. Laughs are what count. And I got a lot of those.

As far as the critics? Most of 'em wouldn't know a good movie if it snuck up and bit 'em in the arse.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-03-19 01:14, Bob1Dog wrote:

Couldn't agree more about Steve Buscemi. I think his character, Nucky Thompson on Boardwalk Empire helped revive his career though; not that it needed reviving for me. He's always been at the top of his game in any performance I've seen. I'll see it on the big screen just to see Buscemi.

It's too bad they gave him absolutely nothing to do in the film except sit around and look embarrassed. A tremendous waste of a good actor.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 01:44, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't agree more about Steve Buscemi. I think his character, Nucky Thompson on Boardwalk Empire helped revive his career though; not that it needed reviving for me. He's always been at the top of his game in any performance I've seen. I'll see it on the big screen just to see Buscemi.

It's too bad they gave him absolutely nothing to do in the film except sit around and look embarrassed. A tremendous waste of a good actor.

Less is more. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 01:44, Payne wrote:
Quote:

You said early on in this thread that you weren't going to go see the film and that you'd wait for its release on BluRay/DVD.

Are your later comments based on what some critics have said, or have you actually seen the film?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 02:00, mastermindreader wrote:

You said early on in this thread that you weren't going to go see the film and that you'd wait for its release on BluRay/DVD.

Are your later comments based on what some critics have said, or have you actually seen the film?

I saw it last Friday at the Regal Meridian with my wife and about 20 other people in the audience. Apart from one guy in the back who laughed out loud several times. The rest of the audience were acting as if they were at a funeral. It's a truly bad film. I almost walked out. Something I haven't done at a film since mistakenly going to see Moulin Rouge a few years ago.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I Loved the movie Moulin Rouge. I just may like Burt Wonderstone.

If everyone in the audience was like me, you would not hear any laughter or sound at all except maybe a chuckle now and then. I don't show my pleasure or displeasure in public. A silent audience is not always a sign of displeasure. Maybe I'm wrong but this is just my take on things.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I'll watch it twice at the cinemas just for the Criss Angel Parody. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I saw it last week. I liked it. I thought there were a lot of funny parts and I thought the rediscovery of magic was sweet.

I made the mistake of having high expectations for the movie and was a little disappointed because I thought it could have been better, but I definitely did have a good time.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Well, it looks as though it has a great approval rating from those here in the Café......With the exception of Payne it seems like everyone else liked it.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen! I actually laughed three times! (and that was just from watching the trailer!!)

I still laughed two times during the actual movie! It was much much funnier than Schindler's List, during which I didn't laugh at all.

I'm a big Steve Buscemi fan, and I can't wait to see the return of Boardwalk Empire. Steve Carell is funny on the Office, so I think I'll watch a rerun of that tonight.

To be fair, there was one guy sitting two rows in front of me who was laughing out loud a lot during the movie (while he was texting).

The folks in this thread didn't have such a positive experience: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

All in all, if this is the type of movie people like, they will enjoy it. If they don't like this type of movie, they won't.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 06:42, irossall wrote:
I don't care about reviews or what other's thought of the movie. With Steve Buscemi in it, I will watch it anyway. Steve Buscemi will always get me to the theatre or make a DVD purchase.
Thanks for posting.
Iven Smile

Agree about Buscemi. His son and my son used to play in the same band, and he's a really nice guy to boot. He did a lot of indie film early in his career and those performances are hilarious.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I really wanted to like the movie and I thought it was OK but really, the best stuff WAS in the trailer. EXCEPT for the end where they gave away the big trick. That had me practically falling out of my chair.

I think they made Steve Carell too unlikeable in the first half of the movie, so much so that you didn't really care if he pulled it out at the end or not. Maybe I was expecting too much. My wife only went to it because I wanted to see it and thought it was better than she expected.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd give it about a 7. It doesn't take itself seriously, and you can't, either, but accept it for what it is, and it's got funny moments and good in-jokes. I was LOL more than a few times.

Best line was when Buscemi said that the "Incredible" applied to both of them and Carrell says that's a hateful thing to say.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Teepee
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Teepee
Moviewise it's not really that much a great movie. But for magicians I think it's definately a must-see. It has a few jokes in it that will make magicians laugh but will leave laymen clueless.

Btw: am I the only one who couldn't help thinking that this was basically Penn&Teller VS Blaine/Chris Angel?

And does anyone know the trick with the saltshaker and the pigeon?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-04-21 09:39, Teepee wrote:

I tried it but I'm afraid the pigeon didn't survive the experiment.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Penn and Teller? I can't see the paralell.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
Just saw it.
I liked it.
Saltshaker and pigeon? Easy: The solution is called CGI Smile
The end, when they reveal their last trick WAS Hilerious!!
And the theme of the movie can teach us also some stuff.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Just seen this & liked it.

They based Rance Holloway on Dai Vernon haven't they? Grumpy old grandfather of magic.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
We watched it tonight and I thought some of it was just OK. If you weren't into magic, I'm not sure how entertaining this would be. Jim Carey crashing the kids b-day party didn't work and was painful to watch. The ending was dumb.

My wife, who knows the TT and silk vanish, got fooled by it. She said "I can't believe I didn't see the thumb". That's why that is STILL is a great trick.

The part that I really laughed at was Alan Arkin vanishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7EUUOdTp6g
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:

Btw: am I the only one who couldn't help thinking that this was basically Penn&Teller VS Blaine/Chris Angel?

Yup, I think you are, unless you're confusing Penn & Teller with Siegfried and Roy.

(And the saltshaker/pigeon trick is ancient. It's in Tarbell.)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Trailer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL