The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shim shell advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
I am planning on purchasing a PK ring from SuperMagnetMan, and would like some advice (or a resource) on what types of tricks I could perform. My first choice would be to turn a half dollar into a quarter, or quarter into a ??? with the wave of my hand over a spectators open palm. In looking at shim shells, I'm hearing reviews like "too shiney", or "get the exapanded version". Since I've been spending money like crazy, I'm not looking to spend more than $20. All suggestions appreciated. Also, does shim = steel ?

Thanks,

Mike
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4838 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea most the time! And shims Are great for Magnetic Hold outs too!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Here is a very inexpensive option to do what you say you want to do:

http://www.chazpro.com/servlet/Detail?no=14

It even answers the question marks of "quarter into a ???" for you. (I usually try to borrow a quarter then switch in the gaff when I do this - then make their quarter reappear)

You might also want to consider the raven (if you wear long sleeves) as you can then immediately show your hands empty and have nothing to ditch. If you want to really explore what you can do with pk, I recommend that you call Chuck or Barbara at Chazpro (well known for its PK line and for the excellent Buddha coin boxes):

http://www.chazpro.com/servlet/Page?template=about

They even have an 800 number. They make quality products for reasonable prices and will have a lot of information for you about your options. They're also incredibly nice to talk to.

Regards,

Alan
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Also, I'm not sure why you want an expanded shell for a PK ring. The only reason I can think of that someone suggested this to you is if it is going to do double duty as a gaff to be used with more advanced coin magic. In that event, I would focus on spending a bit for a well made exp [. There are a lot of options now for that which were unavailable a few years ago. You will need to save up a bit - not too much, but you can't get very much for $20. Here is one option:

http://toddlassen.com/commercial/?page_id=9

Which you can shim yourself with the best and thinnest shims currently available:

http://toddlassen.com/commercial/?page_id=18

Unless you buy real silver coin gaffs (and quite frankly, even if you do) you will not beat the quality of these coins.
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
BanzaiMagic,

Nobody suggested an expanded shell; you are correct in that I was thinking ahead about using the gaff for other coin magic. I have more than $20 I can spend, I'm just trying not to alert the wife. About a year ago I lost my wedding ring. I believe my daughter accidently knocked it off the bathroom counter into the garbage without knowing. Since I'm in the market for a new ring, it might as well be a PK ring. If the shrinking quarter comes with its own mini coin, is it similarily as easy to use the quarter shell to switch to a standard nickle?
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
Alan,

I received my Raven Shrinking quarter and a steel core quarter. At the risk of sounding like a novice (I am), how does one avoid or mask the clinking sound when the PK ring and coin connect? Since I didn't purchase the Raven, and my PK ring came from supermagnetman, I don't have any source of information yet.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Pm'd you. The answers to your questions prob should not be in open forum.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
BTW, did you try talking to Chuck at Chazpro? No nicer guy in magic, and he has been doing and manufacturing PK for years.
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
Got the IM thanks. I talked to the woman that answered, not Chuck
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
That's probably Barbara. She's nice but Chuck's the man you need to talk to about PK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shim shell advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL