The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fully Loaded - signed card to sealed deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This looks like a great routine - I loved the way Mark performed the demo.

This looks like a great addition to the signed to sealed deck repertoire - but I am still waiting for Shawn Farquhar's version one of these fine days which would I believe (hope) allow a completely non-F'd selection. If Shawn's does necessitate a F***e, then it fooled be as much as Penn & Teller on the show.

But I do really like what I saw, and in the end the spectator has no clue that F took place - only downside might be that this could only be done once at a gathering. But lets face it - this type of effect (no matter who's version) should probably only be done once in an evening anyway because of the prep needed and power of the effect.

The need for a sealer or new deck each time would not be that big a deal for me. This looks super.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Can the spectator open the case himself (remove the plastic), and also take out the cards, spread them to find the reversed card? Or is it only the magician than can do that?
In other words, is the loading done a lot in advance?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 09:37, magicinsight wrote:
Thank you very much for clarifying that you do need either a new deck or the "wonder sealer" to re-seal a deck each time it is performed. Considering this, even though it might be a very good effect, it is not for me.

Regardless of the effect being discussed, I would like to take a moment to suggest/recommend that you consider getting a Wonder Sealer. It is VERY easy tool to use, and the price-to-miracle ratio is, to me, unbeatable.

Apologies to all for the brief rabbit trail.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Saysold, I think you may be disappointed to find that Shawn's almost certainly uses a f***e. However, since that comparison comes up, I'm wondering how Mark's version looks side by side in comparison with Shawn's performance. The one thing I like about Shawn's is that the d**k s***h and open loading of the selection makes the appearance of the sealed deck a magical effect, almost akin to an omni deck.

Alternately, Mark's seems almost more like the ending of a card to impossible location (Tommy Wonder's card box comes to mind)... the only thing I didn't like in the demo was the way in which the red deck came into play - it just looks a little suspicious. I'm wondering how natural this can look.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 11:29, doriancaudal wrote:
Can the spectator open the case himself (remove the plastic), and also take out the cards, spread them to find the reversed card? Or is it only the magician than can do that?

The moment of the load is clearly seen in the demo video.

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET PER THE AD:
"Comes with three handcrafted locking/unlocking card gimmicks that load the card smoother than silk every time. Then they unlock to become a part of the spread deck. One overlap gimmick and the deck holder plus a step- by-step DVD covering everything you need to know about this incredible effect."

they can take off the plastic and open the box and probably take out the cards.
now maybe they could spread the cards, but considering the above, do you really want to chance it?
s
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If Shawn Farquhar is telling the truth that he was starting with George Schlinder's Sealed Surprise Signed Card to sealed deck from the 1970's, then it does not use a F***e. I believe the reason Shawn has not released it yet as he is still working on an alternative handling that anyone that buys the trick will be able to do. From the Penn and Teller video, it is apparent that several S****hes are used during the presentation of the effect. This would not interest most new to magic buyers.

I went back and took a look at Mark Mason's trick, and it seems to better suit the average magician or new person to magic.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Can the spectator examine the deck when it is sealed, just like in Farquhar's version here ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ2ebs9F1ek
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Bill, Shawn is telling the truth as to the inspiration of the effect, but if you watch Shawn perform his effect, it should be clear that a f***e is needed. However, I agree with you in terms of accessibility of the effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 13:30, doriancaudal wrote:
Can the spectator examine the deck when it is sealed, just like in Farquhar's version here ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ2ebs9F1ek

Go back to page 6 or 7 and watch the video, does that look like the guy is examining the sealed deck? You be the judge - as those that say they have purchased it, are not reviewing or answering any questions. Strange they have nothing to good or bad to say about the trick.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Any review yet?
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I just received an email that my order here in the US has been shipped, so I am sure I and others will be posting reviews in the next few days.

I am curious as to why those who purchased at Blackpool have not given thorough reviews, but I believe there have been enough answers here to determine a purchase decision for most. Regardless of the method, I still focus on "how does it look to the spectator?" That's what led me to pull the trigger.
Magicmagician83
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Magicmagician83
This is on it's way. Review to come soon but in my opinion you can't beat Shawn's.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 11:29, doriancaudal wrote:

The loading is done in advance.
When the plastic is removed from the case, the card is already in the deck.
The spectator can take out the cards himself.
To spread the cards out, it is best you do that yourself. (which is logic, a normal person is not so good at making a nice spread where every card can be seen)
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Shawns uses a force and is so in-depth that most people that buy it will probably not perform it. Marks seems more practical to me.

My .02
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 06:20, Jupiter47 wrote:
Shawns uses a force and is so in-depth that most people that buy it will probably not perform it. Marks seems more practical to me.

My .02

Maybe that is why Shawn has hesitated in releasing this for so long.

We know that his card handling skills are extraordinary - but the question is whether his method can be distilled into something the average Magic Café Joe can actually pull off without pulling their hair out.

Thanks also to Waterloopai for his inisights.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I watched the SF Penn & Teller performance again - note that Shawn simply asks Teller what card he chose.

That indicates to me that there was not necessarily a force but rather something else in the method that requires Shawn knowing the card chosen.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Sorry - I meant Penn!
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Or, as 1) there is likely a video edit between the initial shuffling and the cards being offered for selection (as P&T did a lot for Fool Us) and 2) Shawn is smart enough to know that we (include P&T in here) would think in a similar manner - why ask if he already knows? So that it makes us think he didn't already know, and thus psychologically confirm that the card is indeed a free choice. I use this kind of psychology all the time when I perform, and I'd expect Shawn to do so as well. Just my 2 cents ;-)

On the flip side - fully loaded is definitely on my wishlist. As someone else noted, this looks like something I may actually use. Shawn's method, I'm assuming is similar to my own, just doesn't suit me and my performance.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I've used Fully Loaded since Blackpool and it is very good, does just what it says and gets great reactions. Easy to do though the hardest bit was to figure out the motivation for the load for my presentation. It's not something you are going to repeat throughout the night but as a special trick it is up there with the best.
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hi fellas,

Sponge had noted a few times that "the Load" was obvious to any non-Newbie. In steps me: Newbie.

I can barely do a DL right 1/2 the time, the other times it is a tripple or more lift Smile.
I can p..lm as long as everyone is looking the other way for just a moment Smile
My Mer...y bend is more of a Neptune Disfigurement or Distortion

I do practice but most of the slights I attempt to learn are presented by me much like they would be presented
by Frankenstein's Monster: my "slights" usually result in some version of "52 Card Pick Up"
with cards scattered everywhere...or even bent...or missing which still mystifies me: I start out
practicing slights with 52 cards and end up, I don't know how, with 33 cards or less. I guess it is
ACCIDENTAL MAGIC of a sort...

With that in mind, would I be ok with Fully Loaded? or...is it for the Big Boys?
I CAN do Extractor, F'1 Nitro, etc.

Please think: I am replying to a "Slow-to-grasp-things Beginner" if you could help with your thoughts.
Sometimes a well meaning magi will say: "SURE, that illustion is a no-problem no-brainer" to learn,

but I have indentations on the walls of my home, upon which I banged my head, that say otherwise.

IN my particular case, just imagine you are taling with "Patrick the Star Fish" from the Cartoon: Sponge Bob Square Pants.
Patrick once walked up to a fire hydrant and asked the fire hydrant if it was his friend "Squid-ward". There was a long
pause with no answer from the fire hydrant. Then Patrick told the fire hydrant: "That's ok, take your time."
and continued to wait for an answer---that's me: Patrick the Star Fish.

@ "the Sponge", I can hear what you are thinking, please stop thinking that.

So fellas, for any of you: Thankyou for any "Review with Newbie in Mind" type of reviews you could help with.
I know a lot of beginners and non-Cafe members must come here and I think they, too, love the very detailed
simple step-by-step and point-by-point reviews of the type that Zombie or saysold1 or Ustaad and
other experienced Magicians sometimes give.

Experienced guys may not need them, but a lot of us do. When you first are exposed to magic
suppliers and resources (that you didn't even know existed until now) you just want to buy everything.
But, the more you learn, the more you lean toward only wanting to buy the Best things.

PLUS, many who view this great site have to save from their paycheck for quite a while to buy only ONE thing once in awhile.

We look to the Café Magicians for knowing what those Best Things are.
So, if anyone has the time and wouldn't mind, please give your thoughts on
"FULLY LOADED---IS IT FOR ENTRY LEVEL BEGINNERS?"

P,S, Also, dooblehorn mentioned "Torn 2" or Page 5 of this thread...is that really good also?

Thankyou for any thoughts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fully Loaded - signed card to sealed deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL