The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Fortune Telling Kit (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Today I was out antique (or should that be hauntique)shopping and found a fortune telling kit. Staff tell me it dates to the 1930s but am yet to confirm this. This has a great aged look and high novelty value. The technique is to hold the container in a horizontal position and shake it until one of the lots falls out, then you look up the section in the manual which corresponds to the number printed on the lot. Best part was the price, only 8 bucks.

Looking forward to using this for some readings.

Brynmore

Click here to view attached image.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Nice find; have fun with it Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
A classical Chinese Oracle. You should try to find Poe to complete the set. There're various methods to 'force' the right stick by shaking the container...
But you're a magician, you know that.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
And a nice essay in Scryer's Band of Readers on these...
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Here is a set I came across some time ago. The sticks [appears like they are bamboo] have different #'s of notches that are painted red. The sticks are prevented from falling out totally. The wood box itself has [slightly corroded] metal bands that seem to permanently seal it. There is also [slightly faded] calligraphy painted on two of the sides.

That is all I know about this piece.

Perhaps The Curator could kindly share some knowledge. Thank-you.

http://tinyurl.com/d8kxeu6

Rich
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Mikame Magic makes a nice outfit that is gimmicked to dispense a forced stick. It's not nearly as charming as the examples above, but an interesting prop none-the-less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKlrjKBvL3A
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Septimus Hexx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Septimus Hexx
Wonderful the mind is working overtime and there are indeed a number of ways to force them
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
It's a Temple Oracle, called Kau Cim or Cim bucket. The Oracle of Kuan Yin is also a widespread name for those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kau_cim

Quote:
It origins from Jin Dyansty book Jade Box Records.[2] The prediction begins with the cup storing a number of the sticks. After the querent has finished their devotions to the main deity, the querent kneels and thinks silently or whispers it to the deity about their question while holding the cup between their palms. This part needs to be done decisively as one should not shift questions or hesitate on the question in the middle of the rite. The shaking of the cylinder, which is usually tipped slightly downward, results in at least one stick leaving the cylinder and being dropped onto the floor. In most cases, if multiple sticks leave the cylinder, those fortunes would not count and must be shaken again. Each stick, with its designated number, represents one answer.

When a single stick falls out, the number will correspond to the 100 written oracles with an answer on it. The writing on the piece of paper will provide an answer to the question. To confirm the validity of the answer given by the deity, the querent will pick up and toss two jiaobei blocks (¹R±­). Each block is round on one side and flat on the other. A successful answer requires one flat and one round side to be facing up, a failed answer will result in two round sides facing up. In some practices, much emphasis is placed on denial when both sides flat are tossed; some legends that say when this happens, the deities are laughing at the querent. The querent will have the option to ask for a fortune again until a successful answer can be made.

Following a successful fortune, interpretation may be needed to comprehend the answer. Answers can be interpreted by a temple priest or volunteers or can be interpreted by the querent. In many cases, an offering is made prior to the asking of the question in order to carry good favor from the higher powers. These offerings typically consist of incense, fresh fruits, cakes, a roasted pig or fowl, or monetary donations.

Sometimes it's called Foo Chu , MYSTIC Fortune Teller, Pic-A-Stick Fortunetelling, Chi Chi or Chien Tung... in America. They are quite easy to find on Ebay. (I have three diferent versions at the Surnateum).
The divination must be confirmed by the throwing of half moon bamboo tablets called Po-e, Kua or Jiaobei. Logically, they must be colored in red, color linked to magic.
Logically, you first throw the Po-es, if the answer is ok, you prey then shake the bamboo recipient, until one stick jumps out. The stick has a number, and you go to the local 'priest' to interpret your number. Sometimes, the tablets are thrown after the stick oracle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaobei

I hope this helps.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Curator knows! Smile
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
OZ...Thank-you for that video link. If anyone has a Mikame Fortune Telling Box they would sell or trade...please PM me.

Curator....superb information! Thank-you VERY much.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator

Jiaobei
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Great information everyone, thanks for sharing. Great info, pics and videos.

I particularly want to thank the Curator for all the background information. I'm also a huge fan of The Shadow, so I dig that quote too.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I remind you another thread about bone divination: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
396 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
Thanks for this superb information. I had never heard of these Chinese chop stick oracles. Smile
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Well if we are on the topic of Chinese divination AND divination using bones, then it would be worth mentioning the Chinese Shang Oracle Bones. These are reputed to contain the earliest examples of Chinese written characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_bone

Back when I was studying and teaching Qigong and Gongfu many years ago, I had my wife tattoo my shoulder with oracle bone script for heaven, earth and humanity, a trinity representing a shamanic cosmological model popular in early Chinese religious thought.

Chinese magico-religious practice is full of wonderful material for the Bizarrist. If I may I would recommend two books by Ong Hean Tatt, The Chinese Pakua & Chinese Black Magic. If you can find these, you may find them interesting. I think the author has a very specific belief system he's pushing, but none the less, there is a wealth of genuine information in amongst the contents of both books.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I've two Shang Oracle Bones in my collection (one on a turtle and one on a scapula), but I've always been a little doubtful about the authenticity of those.
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 09:02, The Curator wrote:
I've two Shang Oracle Bones in my collection (one on a turtle and one on a scapula), but I've always been a little doubtful about the authenticity of those.

Curator,

Your collection must indeed be truly magnificent. Even fake oracle bones would still be some items that would generate a lot of interest, after all it would take some serious archaeology/anthropology to prove them fake or not. This would be skills and knowledge not available to most people.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well, as I work sometimes for archaelogist and anthropologist, I prefer my 'objects' to be authentic. And yes, I've a nice collection of weird artifacts.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=14&183
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
I'm fortunate enough that my wife, Belinda, is an anthropologist. Having helped her study for university was a great insite into this field. Check out her museum blog, from our trip to Europe and the UK in 2008:

http://belindasmuseumsblog.blogspot.com.au/

Here you will find photos of Ogham stones, totem poles, Egyptian mummies and enough cool stuff to give a Bizarrist pause.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Looks like my museum...
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 07:37, The Curator wrote:
Looks like my museum...

LOL at the Curator
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Fortune Telling Kit (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL