The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Asia Ray (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
steve-pistolas
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of steve-pistolas
I thought there was another female sword swallower that was 12?
MagiciennesUnlimited
View Profile
Regular user
of the phrase 'Bite Me'.
197 Posts

Profile of MagiciennesUnlimited
If Amy (Miss Behave) is still under 20, she's it, but the 12 year old was a guy.
Sia Synn
www.siasynn.com

"Pain solves everything" -Russ Fox's T-Shirt
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
My daughter did it at 19.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Second paragraph down, it says "youngest /professional/ female sword swallower" in the world. I reckon that's the distinction that let's 'em get away with it. Smile
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
And, of course, there have never been any exaggerated claims in the world of sideshow. . .
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Not everybody needs to exaggerate, CJ. Only the ones with mediocre abilities and inflated egos.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Like THIS GUY?
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

Ezekiel the Green
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Originated nothing. Made many claims of origination. Got lots of attention. Yup.

www.bladewalker.com
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Still, with regard to Ms. Ray's claim, it seems to be that she is CURRENTLY the world's youngest professional female sword swallower. It doesn't mean she started swallowing swords at a younger age than anyone else.

As with any advertisement, puffery or not, carefully chosen words can often make a claim true.

It's not like calling a capybara a "giant rat," not that anyone would ever do that, of course. . .

Ezekiel the Green
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I do believe the claim was made by Dan Meyer, not Asia herself. In her defense as well, she has been swallowing swords for a quite some time prior to this show, so.....

Now get on your ROUS and beat it!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
How many performers in history have been touted simultaneously as "the one and only original..." or "the smallest woman who ever lived" or whatever? It's a carny thing, let the girl have her bally.

Besides, she's hot.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Harley, Asia also learned to swallow swords when she was 19. She currently does over 20 shows a day at the Freakshow and has been doing that since she was 13. Do the math....that's at least 36,000 shows she has actually performed in front of a paying audience inside a real Freakshow/Sideshow. I don't even think you can say you've done that......I doubt there's anyone on this website that can say that and it's not exaggeration. She does many acts in every show including the Rubber girl (contortion), Fire Eating, the Electric Lady and Sword Swallowing. When you say the name Asia Ray, you are speaking of a female Sideshow Legend in the making.....and I'm not just saying that because she's my daughter....I'm saying that because I have seen them all come and go and she's the only one that can do it non-stop without whining. On top of everything, like Ross says, she is beautiful and is a sweetheart of a person. The guys LOVE her, the girls want to be her and thanks to the millions of people who have now watched our TV show FREAKSHOW on AMC, she could be the Most Famous Female Sword Swallower In The WORLD!!! Smile Can you tell that I'm proud of her?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I don't blame you for being proud of your daughter, nor for your practice of hyperbole. She's obviously a cool kid, and you're doing what you need to do, to keep your show going.

We may disagree about the value of 36,000 performances. Quality and quantity are not necessarily related. We all know, for example, that a lousy band can play a lousy song 1,000 times. It still won't be a good song, and it still won't be something that anybody wants to listen to. One problem I've seen frequently with performers who keep that kind of schedule, is that they become stuck in a particular presentation and style, and have great difficulty shifting gears. I hope this doesn't happen to Asia.

You make an apples and oranges comparison. I haven't worked that many shows in that amount of time, but I do not work in the same venue, or have the same performance conventions. Technically, some of our material is the same, but our goals and presentations are very different.

www.bladewalker.com
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Harley, I would expect you to be a little more supportive of a young female Sideshow performer. Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm not being unsupportive at all. She has potential to go far in this business.

I AM hesitant about things like records, because too many of them are BS. And hyperbole, while it runs a lot of our business, should never be believed.

www.bladewalker.com
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Ok....Well, we are having fun over here.......
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's FAR more important! Hooray!

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2013-02-26 11:30, Harley Newman wrote:
...I AM hesitant about things like records, because too many of them are BS. And hyperbole, while it runs a lot of our business, should never be believed.

None of MY records are BS, and SHOULD be believed.... I have LOTS of fun with it. Personally, setting and breaking world records has become addictive, like tattoos.... and shaving. Having a GWR is also like being in a club of sorts. You see one hanging on a wall and you know your in good company. Kind of like a gang totem. We spent our anniversary in a downtown Philly hotel and took a wine flight at the bar. Hanging up on the wall is a GWR for largest wine taps, over 950!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I prefer the letter that rejects me for being too dangerous.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Asia Ray (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL