The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Power, Radar, or Cassandra Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Does anyone have any of these decks? (John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck, Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck, or Doc Hillford's Cassandra Deck) Which one would you recommend? How hard is it to make a radar deck? Just looking for some feedback. I'm trying to figure out which one I would want. I'll probably end up using the effect in my large close up show and maybe even small stage situations. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I really would like to know what the differences are between the three decks, and as I only own the Cassandra deck, I can only say it works just great for me.
Also if you purchase the booklet "Fem Fatale" for the Cassandra Deck, you have 64 rutines to go.

Same answear as in Pick a card... any card cj, but know I remember seeing John Kennedy performing the Mind Power Deck on a video clip, and he only missed once.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
All three are basically the same effect to your audience. I have used all these and find the Radar Deck is good for multiple people looking at the cards during performance and uses what appears as less pumping.
The Kennedy and Hilford decks are constructed completely different but utilizes virtually the exact same process for the performer to determine the name of the card.
kamiruaga
View Profile
New user
The Basque Country (N. Spain)
69 Posts

Profile of kamiruaga
Hi!
John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck is quite good. Derren Brown's handling of that deck is brilliant (sometimes you'll be able to reveal which card the spec is thinking of without any question). Check his Devil's Picture book video. I'd say that Mind Power Deck is good for a close up situation.

As for Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck, the idea is very good too, but it seems to me that it's devised for a parlour/stage situation.
Best,
All those who believe in telekinesis,
raise my hand. (Kurt Vonnegut)"
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
I do not know the Cassandra Deck,so I cant comment, but own both the Mind Power and own Richard's DVD which he tips on the Radar Deck.

To me, you can show both to audience members and is ideal for parlour/stage or even close up!

The MP Deck however is gimmicked so that you may show completely and quite freely all the cards to the spectator. In fact you can count from 1 to 52 while showing them, and spread on the table for them to see.

Having said that, both of these decks cannot be examined so really it doesn't matter much if you can communicate what needs to be communicated to your audience...like the deck normal etc

And again, there are also other 'similar' but not the same decks, which you may or even have across with. The underlying principle is the same.

Hope that helps.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
It's no problem using the Radar one-to-one or close up.
It's strenght is in parlour/stage use when you can do multipple readings, though
Sven
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
Quote:
On 2003-11-17 19:17, cjmagicman wrote:
How hard is it to make a radar deck?

Well, it's not hard at all. It takes some minutes. And there is no gimmick to buy. I recommened that you buy Osterlinds' DVDs. There you can see the handling. And you will also get a lot of other good material.
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
The radar deck takes a bit of work with the head, you have to keep track of some cards...there is more of them than in a koran or similar... but, as richards says in "making magic real", if you were supposed to read minds, you would work really hard.. so that adds credability... I found it real good.

/H
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Avocat
A major advantage Radar has over Cassandra is its ability to ensure different spectators select different cards. The performer can, of course, work around duplicate selections (e.g. Max Maven's "Tossed-Out Tech" and Harry Anderson's handing from _Wiseguy_), but it's cleaner and less weaselly to reveal and confirm three or four completely different cards.

I view Cassandra as a sort of Swiss-Army-Knife-Mentalists'-Deck. It's a weaker Toss-Out than most other versions, but it WILL work as one. It's a weaker free-choice than Mindpower, but it's less gimmicked and more natural looking (especially because I made my own Cassandra with just an office paper-slicer and scissors). It's easier to "fish" for selections than the Radar, but it's slightly (SLIGHTLY) more gimmicky. Finally, Cassandra can effect a vanish (a weak one, in my view) of a mentally selected card, which Radar cannot and Mindpower can, but only some of the time.

Magically yours,

Jim
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:

As for Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck, the idea is very good too, but it seems to me that it's devised for a parlour/stage situation.
Best,

Since this was posted, I would like to clarify one point.

When we did the L&L DVD's, we decided to put all the Breakthrough Card Material on one video. I DO sometimes use the Radar Deck as shown on video one, but I often use the card calling routine there, instead. I use the Radar Deck CONSTANTLY for close-up work. I do it most often with 3 or 4 people, but it works perfectly with 2 and I have often used it for just one person.

Richard
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Hey, Richard, I cant wait for your DVD. I ordered them on Monday. I have got to say that I have never seen such rave reviews like this before. Everyone is talking about them and how good they are. Congrats.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Thank you, David!

Richard

PS Hope you enjoy them. Smile
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
I've spread the deck on the table, chatted amicably about it being a standard deck, and then went into the "Think-a-Card" phase. It boldly flies sight unseen, and fools totally.

It is the Radar deck with the warranty card and a joker added to it,s face. Richard's idea is brilliant.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Thanks for your help, guys. I just ordered the first volume of Osterlind's series. I can't wait until it shows up. Thanks again.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Solomon
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Solomon
Hey this is Sol from Seattle. I just have to say this to Mr. Richard Osterlind: I really and sincerely admire your work, presentation and everything else. You really are a master of the field, and I look forward to the day when I can shake your hand and meet you!

sol Smile Smile Smile Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ditto, Sol, on that. Richard has a way about him that I see in no other mentalist. Smile
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2003-11-17 19:17, cjmagicman wrote:
Does anyone have any of these decks? (John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck, Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck, or Doc Hillford's Cassandra Deck) Which one would you recommend?

Well, there is NOT one deck that is better. Cassandra deck is, IMO, very gimmicked, but allows you to present a lot of different effects. Mindpower deck is gimmicked, too, and the effect you get is almost the one you get with the Radar Deck.

However, because of the handling Richard uses, the impact you get with Radar Deck is greater.

And the deck itself is a piece of cake to make.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
While I have all three, I have to go with the MPD. Perhaps it's because I primarily do close-up mentalism with cards. The fact that I can spread out the cards, then after the selection LEAVE them spread out face up on the table, find the card(s) and slide out all of the chosen ones completely out from the deck face up on the table---all of that makes it super strong.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I might be biased, but Osterlind's effects work so well for me, and the Radar Deck is no exception.

Since I wrote my post in here, I have all three decks now, and my favorite has to be the Radar Deck, period.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Docc's is very cool!

Although recently, I am going 100% impromptu. I have back-engineered the effects in Docc's manual (Those that I can't live without) to work with an ungaffed deck!

I use the Cassandra for my Tossed-Out deck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Power, Radar, or Cassandra Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL