The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Power, Radar, or Cassandra Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
No decks, no cards. (Unless you are VERY experienced and maybe not even then.)
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
No billets and no note pads. Lets do it for real.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Since I SPECIFICALLY say that I do "Mentalism with cards," the cards are therefore necessary. Nothing says that mentalism has to be done without any props at all!

Those who insist on doing mentalism without any props is tantamount to purists who insist on doing card magic with only a straight deck, no gaffs. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you are into. But it's always been my observation that with cards, effects that use gaffs produce results that are far more more impossible than those done without them.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
I think that mentalism, as with all art, is completely subjective, therefore, whatever you decide you want to do or how you want to present yourself or your effects is down to you and you only. Advice on the Café is all good and I have learned so much here and made friends here, but your individuality is paramount. Do what you want and if you disagree with someone here, do what YOU want.
Just my opinion.
M. Xia
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2003-11-18 18:54, Avocat wrote:
A major advantage Radar has over Cassandra is its ability to ensure different spectators select different cards. The performer can, of course, work around duplicate selections

Magically yours,

Jim

Correct me if I am wrong but the Radar deck cannot ensure that dupes do not occur. In fact two dupes are possible. It would be easy to have 2 on left pick same card and then two on right pick same card. Osterlind makes this stronger on the revelation.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Cjmagicman - you raise a good question, and I appreciate that not everyone can buy everything!, but it's not really possible to say which is 'best'. It depends what you want to achieve.

Which is best - a hammer or a saw? Kinda depends whether you need to bang in a nail or slice some wood. Same with these three decks.

There are two different approaches when it comes to buying dealer items. One is to buy an item and then think to yourself what you might do with it or use it for. The other is to first of all work out your performance and what you are trying to achieve, and then, if you need a special item or gimmick, shop around for the best tool for the job.

Derren's effect, Smoke, is the best use of a Mindpower Deck that I've ever seen. If that's the kind of trick you want to do, then go for it. But my personal vote would be for ANYTHING with Richard Osterlind's name on it. Small hint: if you haven't bought 'Dynamic Mysteries', I urge you to do so. Then you'll know why, for myself and so many others, 'Osterlind' rhymes with 'genius'.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Ian,

Could you please point me towards the Smoke effect by Derren for the MPD you mention?

Thanks.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
PalmBeachGuy,

You will find Smoke in DB’s “Pure Effect”.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Also on the Devil's Picturebook Video
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I am familiar with the Cassandra deck, but I prefer Richard Osterland's Radar Deck. In any case, you need to have his DVDs in your collection.

Although the Radar Deck cannot be subject to infinitely close scrutiny, this is not a problem. To be a mentalist, you must have a different attitude, one of innocence, from that of a magician, one of guilt. Watch Osterlind's Videos. This man reeks of innocence. He would never stoop to using trickery. This allows him to get away with a lot. As I move deeper into mentalism, I must develop more of this innocent persona.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2004-03-21 08:15, Ian Rowland wrote:
...But my personal vote would be for ANYTHING with Richard Osterlind's name on it. Small hint: if you haven't bought 'Dynamic Mysteries', I urge you to do so. Then you'll know why, for myself and so many others, 'Osterlind' rhymes with 'genius'.

Couldn't agree more, Ian. The bad news -- Dynamic Mysteries is out of print and copies are exceedingly difficult to find. The good news -- Osterlind is planning to re-release the material in a "new updated form in the near future" (see thread below).
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Power, Radar, or Cassandra Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL