The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar shows a new way to begin the cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
We all learned to show the cups empty. Here...you show a final load before the routine starts, put it in your pocket and it appears later under the cup!

http://youtu.be/DTuRh5b6wBg?t=53s

I think I'll stick with the old way.

:sun:
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I found some interesting points to the routine. At first I was not sure about showing the large ball in the beginning. But at the end, everything came full circle, so I did see the aesthetic quality in that. There were a few other points I found of interest. The first was to let the spectator do the magic. The moves and sequences could be kept to a minimum, because different than a magician doing the trick, the spectator had to prove nothing. Sequences that are quite common to us magicians, were augmented just because the spectator seemed to be doing the magic. Multum in parvo.

Mext, was how he brought the spectator into the frame, and the blocking proceedure for that. Unless I was mistaken, this served another purpose. Although I have only viewed the video once, the ball hitting the floor may have been "scheduled", too. I'll have to recheck that.

All in all, I found it to be well-choreographed. So often, magicians perform with only X/Y/Z linear consideration. Michael seems to well-understand that the focal point is the center of a large sphere, and his manner of darting in, out, and around that center was a lesson in itself.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I liked the routine. It would be interesting to hear Michael talk about his thinking on showing the large ball at the beginning.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
127 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
I thought it was great. I had not considered having the spectator do the work.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The routine is Dick Williams's "4 Minutes Of Fame".

Michael talks about it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......PnB5eaps

Another performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNm-oCcbieY

And he sells it as a download:

http://michaelammarmagic.com/4-Minutes-of-Fame-4min.htm

I myself don't care for the load being shown in the beginning. I think with final loads there's the "where did that come from?" factor. If you show it first, put it in your pocket and it returns, then they know exactly where it came from ( not that they actually think it's real magic ).

But, others may love that aspect to it. We're all different in our likes and approaches to stuff.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I can understand the hesitation and opinions of people not liking the visual reveal of the final load at the beginning of the routine. However, I have a real appreciation for it. Let me start by pointing out, that this isn't the first time any of us have seen a routine where the final load is shown at the very start. Tommy Wonder shows his final load before the cups... it just happens to be the pompom ball on the bag and no real attention is drawn to it. In fact, that pom pom gets loaded TWICE as a final load in his routine, which many would consider even MORE dangerous. Then, of course, the final load of the bag (in both routines) is just a great kicker! I don't think anyone here would say that Tommy Wonder's routine isn't to their liking. The problem we have have here is the attention drawn to the final load before the trick starts. And from a lay perspective, no significant attention is drawn to it at all.

So WHY did he do it? Here is my humble guess...

What this subtlety but effectively does is change the psychology of the trick from "where did that come from?" to "how did that get there?" maybe to the everyday magician this isn't a huge difference, but to the lay audience it changes the perspective greatly. In this routine, Ammar changes the essence of the trick from "Magic Trick" to "Harmless Scam". It's the same as changing the spectators reaction from "it MUST be magic" to "Oh... he's goooood!" Which perhaps in today's modern age is more likely to get a reaction from people.

Personally, I thought the routine was great. I loved the spin of having a spectator in control (however, who ever does this must have AMAZING control over the volunteer, nerves of steel, and the ability to read people quickly). I can't say I would feel comfortable performing this, but not because of the final load... it's a down right GUTSY routine.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I have Dick Williams' booklet titled "Cups & Balls for the New Millennium" which he published in 1999, but there is no load ball revealed in the beginning. The following link contains one of the phases of "New Millennium", but adds quite a bit more while subtracting one final load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9EvabU36go

I still would like to know Michael's thinking on showing the first load. I didn't hear him mentioning the rationale for it in the "4 Minutes" video.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
You may purchase Ammar's version of "Four Minutes of Fame" from Michael's web site or from lybrary.com. The download instructions include video links that teach many of the moves and each of the segments of the routine. I like the routine a lot.

Mark
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
398 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
To those that have purchased Michael's manuscript "Four Minutes of Fame", Question, Which of the following video clips in more in line with the manuscript?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNm-oCcbieY

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9EvabU36go

Thanks,,,

allen
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
The first video link is the performance routine included with the download. Ammar does a very good job teaching it.

Mark
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
This is the first time I have seen a routine where spectator gets to move the cups, seems like an interesting idea, but I would be terrified of them handling my precious cups.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

I wonder what size cups he is using? They are not mini cups nor large cups so I assume they are somewhat medium cups?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1673 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I didn't like it. Give me a good old-fashioned cups and balls routine, please. Thank you.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Overall the routine works well. The focus on someone other than the Magician is good.

Been giving D.J.'s train of thought on why the F.L. flash at the start. I think if his train was on the track, and it's a darn good train, that there would be more attention drawn to the F.L. The F.L. is given no attention and put away as if it was in the way, move along, nothing to see here.

My guess is it's for ease of transport and the packing up bit at the end works too. I think D.J.'s train would pull it's weight but more thought may have to given to pull it off.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If you have issues with the ball as the final load, leave it out and go the Tommy Wonder route and just load the bag instead. The reason the bag (or pom pom) works in the first place is that it's not considered central to the effect and catches people by surprise. If you think the surprise is diminished by showing the ball early, just do away with it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5269 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
And don't forget that Tommy Wonder loaded a ball (large pom-pom) that was seen at the beginning of the trick too. All final loads were in play at the beginning of the routine. I think that made them even more surprising when they appeared under the cups.

Don't like it? Don't do it. Simple as that. Early iterations of this routine as performed by Mr. Ammar didn't have the ball seen at the beginning.

I think the plot, the look on audience member's face as he/she "performs" the magic, and the directness of the routine make it well worth study. Heck pull out three plastic cups roll up some dollar bills, and do the routine. put your money clip in for the final load, or lemon, or...
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1673 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think the routine works best for the spectator involved. The rest of the audience is probably going, "ho hum, let me take a nap."
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

I bought this routine and learned some new ways to handle the cups, as a student of C&Bs I believe it was worth the money I paid for it. Smile
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I agree, Keith.

Mark
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
It looked magical enough for me. Audience in both clips liked it especially the one at the show. But I think you have to size up and gauge your audience first and see if its the right crowd to perform it for.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar shows a new way to begin the cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL