The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar shows a new way to begin the cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1673 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I don't think the audience members where laymen, especially the person who participated in the routine. He was the host. His expressions of "shut up!" were too much. And if we have to purposely knock a ball "by accident" onto the floor for misdirection, that's pretty bad.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
140 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
I bought 4 minutes of fame some months ago...I find it interesting for a lay audience though, in my opinion, it's not 100% perfect...it could be improved for sure....
Also I'm not so sure to show the big ball load at the beginning....why not to start without the large ball hidden in the pocket arleady?
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I try and watch magicians perform, as difficult as it can be, like a lay person. I try and not look for any tricky business and it helps concentrating on what the performer has to say and go along with what he's saying. Doing that and usually being use to vernon and gazzo type routines the first phase of the trick did surprise me and I would say it genuinely suprised some the people that were at the performance as well. The first guy that kept saying "shut up" I know was fooled with the first part and after that it looked like he payed attention and his subsequent "shut up" burst were fake. I think he was caught off guard as well being use to the standard routines. So trying not to pay too much attention to what was happening, just anticipataing some nice effects, I was impressed.

Lay people don't know anything about loads. In this routine It comes along before the spectator has a chance to follow whats going on, which they wont because of the sleights used to load the little balls in the second phase. I was fooled here and there like I said because of being used to the usual routines, and the switching around of the cups as well. I liked the routine because it did elicit reactions in the performance videos, its short, not to repititous and of course a spectator is involved.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If the final load ball had a reason for "being there" at the beginning, it would make it better.
Tommy Wonder's loads, for instance, have reasons for existing so you more eaily forget about them during the routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I was thinking about what Frank just said about "If the final load ball had a reason for being there at the beginning which I think is a very good point.

Michael Ammar uses baseballs for loads and final loads, so I am assuming that lay-people would not find anything unusual about this. Since my final load is a gold glitter ball it would look very strange if I had shown this at the beginning, and therefore probably a really bad idea.

Another thing is that Michael Ammar is using silver colored cups (no clue what his cups are made of) and therefore white baseballs probably look better in silver colored cups. He is probably assuming that the lay-person would not find anything unusual and therefore would be surprise at the end.

Using spectator to move the cups in this routine makes sense because of the loads being baseballs. Many people like baseballs so why not let them be part of the game or magic.

I do believe this routine probably works great because of the loads being baseballs, the use of silver cups, and allowing spectator to move the cups as if they were part of a baseball game.

Therefore, I feel that this routine makes works well.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1673 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Works for whom? Jaded magicians?
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 10:56, Ray Haining wrote:
Works for whom? Jaded magicians?

So you don't like it eh?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

I just think the large ball in Ammar's presentation is not the best choice.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 12:55, Frank Starsini wrote:
I just think the large ball in Ammar's presentation is not the best choice.

Frank: I'm interested in what you would suggest.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I would suggest to show one ball in the beginning, claim that near the end the big ball will end up under one of the cups and end up with three or four balls.
Here is why: The appearance of the first final load indicates the ending of the trick. People will feel that everything has come around full circle. Yet you are able to top this effect, by revealing the other final loads. So it's impossibility over anticipation, you meet and surpass the inital claim of the big ball appearing and people rememeber the feeling of getting way more than was promised.

Is it better than the final loads being reveal as a total surprise? Yes! Definitely.

I've been doing it like that for years and have been doing it the traditional way before that. The above way is the better way to go.

classic way = just surprise.
announcing one final load = Suspense and surprise. You get the best of both worlds.

If there a disadvantage? Yes if you loads are sloppy!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

Nice thoughts Roland.

Terry, I think that depends on you and your act.
How about something appearing that you'd previously misplaced earlier in the act and shrugged off as "oh, well... whatever. on with the show"?

Crossing trick boundaries with props and bits is always a big plus, I think.
running gags, callbacks, surprises, etc....

Roland's idea can also cross trick boundaries too.

I feel that things like this can really add texture and creativity to a show and set you apart from the masses that basically just do
trick, trick, trick off the Magic Café "What are your top 5" threads.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I remember flooring a crowd using one sponge ball for a final load using styrofoam cups after doing the standard beginners routine where you hide the ball in the cup and stack them for the penetration effect like the insructions you get when you buy toy magic cups.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Thought of another reason to show ball up front and then pocket it.
No one wonders what that lump in your pocket is.
BRMagic
View Profile
New user
NYC
38 Posts

Profile of BRMagic
I think this is a great use of audience participation. I look forward to learning this routine.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1609 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I've never seen this, but Dick Williams taught me his opening that uses one or two kids, and the old " turn over two cups" bar bet. I had bought his book and didn't think much of it, but Dick showed me the power of " stop a kid and stop the world'.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 14:18, Roland Henning wrote:
I would suggest to show one ball in the beginning, claim that near the end the big ball will end up under one of the cups and end up with three or four balls.
Here is why: The appearance of the first final load indicates the ending of the trick. People will feel that everything has come around full circle. Yet you are able to top this effect, by revealing the other final loads. So it's impossibility over anticipation, you meet and surpass the inital claim of the big ball appearing and people rememeber the feeling of getting way more than was promised.

Is it better than the final loads being reveal as a total surprise? Yes! Definitely.

I've been doing it like that for years and have been doing it the traditional way before that. The above way is the better way to go.

classic way = just surprise.
announcing one final load = Suspense and surprise. You get the best of both worlds.

If there a disadvantage? Yes if you loads are sloppy!

I really like those ideas ( suspense and surprise ). Thanks for sharing them.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I've never seen anything that Michael Ammar does that ISN'T terrific....

Michael does Magic right!
jarro_2783
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of jarro_2783
Wow I thought that was really smooth. I loved watching that. My first impression of the baseball was to dismiss it actually, because he put it away as though it were of no consequence. Then when it appeared it was great, I was all like when did he put that in there! Then finally, because the baseball was not actually last, the bag blew me away even more.
Jarryd Beck, Sydney, Australia
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
WOW that Brian guy is obnoxious. "Shut your face!!" I wish he would...
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I often close with the cups and balls.

I don't like saying that the cups and balls is like the shellgame. Confusion is not magic. I have seen many routines where there is one load ball and then load the bag. Yet I don't think it is as "strong" as a 3 ball load or the added 6 ball double load.

I like my closing routines to have max impact. And in my opinion the bag load and a single ball load is not to me a max impact.

However I found a two ball and bag load worked well for a chop cup routine I used to do. But that was not my closing routine.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar shows a new way to begin the cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL