The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doing Card Magic In The Old West (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 21:32, mastermindreader wrote:

Here's another interesting thing to think about. Imagine doing tarot readings in 17th Century Salem Village.

Well since the Salem Trials were in the Seventeenth Century and they didn't start using the Tarot for divination until the Eighteenth Century. It is highly unlikely that such a scenario took place.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 20:56, daffydoug wrote:
I'm probably wrong then, but I was assuming that before the US playing card company, and our modern manufacturing techniques, playing cards were inferior to today's, and with no quality control, they were irregular at best.,

I hadn't considered that until a couple posts back.

Yes, you are quite wrong Smile Playing Card Manufacturing was a meticulous and painstaking operation. Controlled by guilds and regulated by the government as cards were highly taxed. Counterfeiting or printing cards without a license was punishable by death.

Here is a short article on some of the processes used at various times http://historicgames.com/gamemakers/cardmaking.html
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The Old West?

Card trick and bullet catch. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Tommy, where did you find the Police Gazette article?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thank you for posting the link to White Knuckle Cards, Bob. A lot of great information there!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 01:58, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 21:32, mastermindreader wrote:

Here's another interesting thing to think about. Imagine doing tarot readings in 17th Century Salem Village.

Well since the Salem Trials were in the Seventeenth Century and they didn't start using the Tarot for divination until the Eighteenth Century. It is highly unlikely that such a scenario took place.

Picky picky. But card divination goes back before that and Tarot variants did exist at the time, although they were primarily used for games.

Beyond that, though, it was a joke!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is it people assume just because people lived in earlier times they were automatically stupid?

They probably had more skills as they had less gimicks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 11:16, mastermindreader wrote:

Picky picky. But card divination goes back before that and Tarot variants did exist at the time, although they were primarily used for games.

Do you have any references to cartomancy being used before the eighteenth century? I've been looking for reliable information on this subject. I found reference to an Oracle type of deck used in Elizabethan England. But no primary documentable evidence of playing cards being used in such a fashion much before 1750. So if you could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Beyond that, though, it was a joke!

I did realize that. M y reply didn't come out as tongue in cheek as I had hoped.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Sorry, Payne, I don't know of any primary sources. But I have round a reference to cartomancy "meanings" published in a book dating as early as 1720. Unless the authors invented cartomancy themselves, which is unlikely, it would seem that they were writing of something that was already known at the time.

Quote:
Dr. Flamstead’s and Mr. Patridge’s New Fortune-Book containing . . . Their new-invented method of knowing one’s fortune by a pack of cards appears to be the oldest book with instructions on fortune-telling-with-cards in the English language. The first edition seems to be from 1729—well before Etteilla wrote his 1770 book on “cartonomancie” and contains a “lot” style method of divination in which the card chosen leads to a verse based on your choice from a list of pre-set questions. However we know from the 1730 play Jack the Gyant-Killer that multi-card spreads with meanings for each card were already current in England.

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2010/01/1......english/

It might be interesting to research the 1730 play referred to in the above quote.

And, from the same source:

Quote:
Two 17th century works of art attest to the use of playing cards in witchcraft. “Depart pour le Sabat” by David Teniers the Younger (1610-1690) shows playing cards as part of a magical circle (see picture at top and to the right.)

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/category/....../page/2/

Good thoughts,

Bob
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
If you are interested in Tarot history, there is an amusing and instructive blog by Michael Hurst called "pre-gebelin" at blogspot. He is very opinionated and often uses vulgar expressions, but his grasp of the documented history is I think sound, and based generally on Professor Michael Dummett's work.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
"They were raising the devil at the other end of the bar...had him about six feet off the floor when suddenly he up and challenged me to a game of ten card tarot, pentacles wild..." --Firesign Theater
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Which reminds me that Tarot decks are used in playing card games in Europe. Sometimes called "Tarock," I think.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-02-21 14:06, Woland wrote:
Which reminds me that Tarot decks are used in playing card games in Europe. Sometimes called "Tarock," I think.

The tarot was originally used for card games.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 20:33, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 18:26, daffydoug wrote:
Ed,

Ya' know, you're right! It slipped my mind, but they didn't have Bikes back then or Hoyle or any of our modern cards. Let's say I had a time machine and went back in time and had my Bikes with me. They would be foreign to those guys. D'oh! I might get lynched just for bringing them out. Scratch that plan. With the poor quality of the cards of the day, who knows if you could even smoothly execute an Elmsley.

Again, you're making an assumption. Some of the cards back then were actually of VERY high quality and some were comparatively expensive.

Y'know, you are right. The salons and gentlemen's clubs of the 1800's probably had the finest playing cards money could buy. Those cards probably rivaled anything we might have today. However, I'm pretty certain those cards didn't make their way into the bars and saloons of the Old West of the 1800s that we're talking about here.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Bob. I had meant to say "still."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 12:48, Woland wrote:
If you are interested in Tarot history, there is an amusing and instructive blog by Michael Hurst called "pre-gebelin" at blogspot. He is very opinionated and often uses vulgar expressions, but his grasp of the documented history is I think sound, and based generally on Professor Michael Dummett's work.

Thanks for the link. I am fortunate to own a copy of Dummett's The Game of Tarot. Which, as far as I know, is the definative work on the subject.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 12:26, mastermindreader wrote:
Sorry, Payne, I don't know of any primary sources. But I have round a reference to cartomancy "meanings" published in a book dating as early as 1720. Unless the authors invented cartomancy themselves, which is unlikely, it would seem that they were writing of something that was already known at the time.

Quote:
Dr. Flamstead’s and Mr. Patridge’s New Fortune-Book containing . . . Their new-invented method of knowing one’s fortune by a pack of cards appears to be the oldest book with instructions on fortune-telling-with-cards in the English language. The first edition seems to be from 1729—well before Etteilla wrote his 1770 book on “cartonomancie” and contains a “lot” style method of divination in which the card chosen leads to a verse based on your choice from a list of pre-set questions. However we know from the 1730 play Jack the Gyant-Killer that multi-card spreads with meanings for each card were already current in England.

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2010/01/1......english/

It might be interesting to research the 1730 play referred to in the above quote.

And, from the same source:

Quote:
Two 17th century works of art attest to the use of playing cards in witchcraft. “Depart pour le Sabat” by David Teniers the Younger (1610-1690) shows playing cards as part of a magical circle (see picture at top and to the right.)

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/category/....../page/2/

Good thoughts,

Bob

Thanks for this info. It gives me some new avenues to persue.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Along with Gertrude Moakley's work, I think Dummett's work is definitive.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
No offense to the OP, and I haven't really read through this thread yet, but IIRC, many of the sleights we still use today were being used during the old west and employed as devices to assist gamblers in cheating at cards. Am I right? Erdnase wrote Expert at the Card Table during an era where the aging verneer of the old west was still hanging over eastern towns like St. Louis, Virginia City, Savannah, and Branson, among others.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-02-22 08:47, magicjack1977 wrote:
Erdnase wrote Expert at the Card Table during an era where the aging verneer of the old west was still hanging over eastern towns like St. Louis, Virginia City, Savannah, and Branson, among others.

Exactly. And I think we can assume that Erdnase was working card tables for quite a long time before writing his book, before the veneer had aged as much. Also, it is clear that he learned a good deal from cheats who preceded him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doing Card Magic In The Old West (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL