The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mystery of the Magical Mummy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pseph Choy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
28 Posts

Profile of Pseph Choy
Hi friends. I'm interested in performing Mystery of the Magical Mummy (Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic (1988) page 449. I've also seen it described in Tarbell) for a university fundraiser in late April for free clinics for undeserved populations in the city. I selected this piece because we readily came up with a fun story that fits with the overall fundraiser's theme and seems appropriate for a busy student's time and money budgets (we're open to other illusions that can produce a similar effect in terms of body count). However, the stage is more of an academic platform, elliptical in shape approximately 4 x 6 meters wide with no curtains anywhere, a permanent projector/flat screen upstage center, visible exit doors one each at downstage left and right. I wanted to ask for advice for such an illusion. I'm concerned about burning the stage exits or any additional props I may bring on stage in addition to similar issues as to the size of my sheet and how I display it. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to build or store particularly elaborate props. Feel free to PM me. Thank you for your help!
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I think our cloth is about 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall. It is two panels thick to make sure no light shines through. There's no fire involved so you shouldn't worry about burning things. With no curtains on the stage you'll have to have a means to hide people though.
Pseph Choy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
28 Posts

Profile of Pseph Choy
Thanks for your input Binky! To clarify, I'm not concerned with fire. I am worried that the audience will pay extra attention to the exit doors, hence "burning" the stage exits. I'm sorry for my confusing word choice. I will likely see if I can find other means to hide people.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
We put an Egyptian Pharaoh design on the first side and a black & white striped fabric on the back side. Then when they wrap up it looks kind of like mummy bandages.
RobertPaulson
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of RobertPaulson
Pseph -
I might recommend a "victory cartons" type effect. I'm almost positive you can find that in the Wilson book also. Depending on your stage, um, layout... it might be a little difficult to perform - and definitely not as deceptive - if you don't have the necessary drapery.
Pseph Choy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
28 Posts

Profile of Pseph Choy
Thanks Robert! I've thought about doing a hybrid with victory cartons... doing the mummy in front of a set of folded victory cartons, which sets up my cartons as the effect to immediately follow the mummy. (Although I imagine this might be overdoing it and making it obvious how the illusions are performed).
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
That's an interesting idea... I like it.
The way I envision it is... Find an excuse to wrap the person and keep them wrapped until after you assemble the cartons (or an Arabian tent)...
THEN unwrap/show the change THEN the original person appears from the boxes.
Crap. That's a really neat idea.

Hopefully bumping this post back up to the top will bring in some fresh faces and ideas. Keep me updated if you decide to combo the effects. I'd like to see that in action.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The late Joe Smiley was booked into a theatre to perform an illusion show. He asked how big the stage was and was told that it was some 60 feet wide. When he arrived he found that is was a Cinerama theatre with a permanent curved screen that went right up to the procenium arches at either side and curved so that there was about 4 feet of depth in the center of the stage! He didn't want to cancel the show, but how was he going to get his equipment on and off the stage? He traveled with only his wife as his assistant and their big finale was the buzz saw illusion. He hired 3 or 4 sturdy young fellows and they put the props on the floor in front of the stage and the guys lifted things on and off the stage.

So everything was supposed to work. However, at one point in his act he produced a Flagstaff with a big flag. As he swung the staff in his usual fashion, the end ripped a long gash in the movie screen! Joe was very upset, the theatre manager was even more upset, and the insurance company was irate.

The moral is, Pseph Choy, is watch out for that "... permanent upstage projector and screen..." whatever you do.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Pseph Choy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
28 Posts

Profile of Pseph Choy
I like the idea of blending the steps of the two illusions even more, T. Durden. You got my started thinking of this possible sequence (described as how the audience would see it):

Premise will be a magician duo A and B.
Magician A convinces a reluctant possibly rebellious magician B to be wrapped mummy-style for an illusion. Maybe for good measure, the A further ties up the wrapped B with ropes/chains, etc. Next, A assembles the cartons/tent and instructs B to get in the cartons... suggesting that duo intends to perform an escape effect. Since And B will be wired with a wireless microphones, you can still hear the wrapped/tied-up B complaining and comically struggling to hop towards the cartons. Exhausted, the wrapped B announces he'll try something different; he wiggles under the mummy sheets as if trying to free himself until he suddenly pauses and remains standing eerily straight and still... magically, B rises from the cartons, steps out, and is visibly elated to be free. A and B then direct their attention to the mysterious mummy. They do a magical gesture and unwrap to reveal a surprise assistant.

Thanks for the advice and story Dennis... I'll definitely be careful especially since this movie screen that I'll be performing beside is owned by lawyers.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Rebellious magician. Yes. That gives the wrapping motivation.
This guy is being a pain in the backside. "Hey," says the other magician, "I have a new trick. This is so neat. We'll just wrap you up first..."
Magician wraps the troublemaker... Then ties him up further. Helps him wobble to the side of the stage, out of the way.

"Now then," says the visible magician, "With THAT GUY out of the way, let's continue..."

me gusta.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
This popped into my head while I was taking a bubble bath just now. Have a stooge "heckle" you. Have him come up onstage and wrap HIM. When he pops out of the carton, have him act really REALLY confused and just wander through the audience to the door to leave, shaking his head the whole time.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mystery of the Magical Mummy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL