The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Oasis Book Test (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Has or can anyone do a review of the Oasis Book Test which is being pushed at Blackpool? Thanks.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
My thoughts, exactly!
Just saw the trailer and it has my curiosity.
I suspect it will be a few days before the early-adopters have their hands on it and are able to report back to the masses.

I also had to laugh - because this is a classic case of "I really, really, don't need another book test!"
Yet it does look intriguing and it is, after all, the latest shiny new thing!

e
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
I don't own it so this is without any specific knowledge, but the demo reminds me a little of Becker's Ultimate Flashback. One question is how examinable is the book? Can it be scanned quickly from one page to another without spotting the gaffing? There are a lot of great book tests that are examinable. However, this one's claim--also a wonderful feature--is no memory work, no letter guessing, no progressive anagrams, etc. Where are you, oh wise ones, with your pro and con reviews and your discussions of strengths and weaknesses?
realghost
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of realghost
Hi just looket your question about the oasis book test I can tell you that its not the same method as bekkas flash back, the books can be examined from start to finish and you can even hand the book to spectator they choose a page and you tell them the word amazing me telling you this already knows the method but don't realise it lolwell worth getting you wont be disapointed
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Mine is scheduled to arrive today.
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Wonderful, eSamuels. I would really appreciate a full review. Thank you in advance.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Mixed feelings about this one.

On the positive side, I really like the overall look and design. Seems that it was made with durability in mind, yet it looks like a legitimate, contemporary book.
The method does have some clever ploys, is relatively easy to learn, and the presentation is generally well put together.

On the negative side, a page number is required to do the work. This is not inconsistent with some other BTs, but I've always felt it's a compromise that waters things down, including runing the risk of people simply thinking that you've memorized the book. That would be quite a feat, mind you, but not nearly as impressive as reaching in to their mind and pulling out a thought!

My other 'meh' mark, is for the overall design. Two issues here. I won't get into too many specifics about the first issue, as it would tip some of the workings, but let's just say that I wasn't crazy about what I was able to see with only marginal scrutiny (including the old riffle examination).
The second thing is that there are absolutely no paragraphs breaks in the book. I don't know why it was typeset this way, and perhaps I'm out of touch with publishing, but it looks and feels intuitively wrong. It wouldn't have required much more of an effort to add breaks, so I really don't get this. Perhaps I am missing something in this decision.

Overall, it's not bad, particularly at that price point.
However, in my case, I just don't think it will crack the starting line-up of MOAB, Ne Plus Ultra & (my own BT!)

Cheers!

e
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Thanks for a really informative and helpful review! It is much appreciated! I like your starting "line-up." It helps me understand your thinking. Is your own BT commercially available?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Not as yet.
Perhaps some day soon.
I like to work all my creations for a while before 'unleashing' them Smile

e
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
I will look forward to hearing about it when you are ready. Thanks!
clintbarron
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of clintbarron
Hi guys. Clint Barron here, the creator of the Oasis Book Test. Am happy to answer any questions you may have, please ask.

This is my first product launch through Alakazam and I am very pleased with the quality of the end result. Obviously I won't be tipping any methods here, but am happy to answer any questions I can on this item.

Thanks,
Clint.
clintbarron
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of clintbarron
Quote:
On the negative side, a page number is required to do the work. This is not inconsistent with some other BTs, but I've always felt it's a compromise that waters things down, including runing the risk of people simply thinking that you've memorized the book. That would be quite a feat, mind you, but not nearly as impressive as reaching in to their mind and pulling out a thought!

A valid point. In performance I always try to use at least two people. That way, as a way of reinforcing nothing is set up, I have one spectator call out a page number for the other spectator to look up. This justifies having a page number called out and shows that there was no pre-show.
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Hi Clint, Congratulations and thank you for creating a new book test to tempt me. I have not purchased it yet, which is why I started this topic.

I am purely an amateur and thus have the challenges that come from that status. On the plus side, it sounds like Oasis is easy to learn and doesn't require significant memory work. Is that accurate? From an amateur perspective, that is great because I have very limited audiences and opportunities to perform. So I may practice it up and then perform it for audiences 10 times over the first month that I own it and then not perform it again for six months. Nothing to forget is great.

While I am OK with anagrams, it is nice that Oasis does not use one.

As a result of my personality and amateur status, I have less control and intimidation over my audiences than a pro on stage would, so a reasonable degree of examinability is very desirable. How examinable is Oasis?

I agree with your thoughts about the "call out a page number" process and am not concerned there.

I like the fact that the "force" words can be the basis of a mental image--a great patter angle. As I recall, Flashback (which sounds like it has some similarities with Oasis) often did not use picture words. How similar is Oasis to Flashback?

The ad for Oasis contains an ambiguity as to the second test as to what "middle" means--does it mean "middle of the first line" or "middle of the page"? The second interpretation would be more powerful.

Thanks again!
overflow
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
186 Posts

Profile of overflow
Good morning,

can the book test be performed using the italian language ?

Thanks
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
I don't understand the question. The book is written in English. That much I know.
overflow
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
186 Posts

Profile of overflow
Hi,

maybe I was not clear .....because I am italian.

Ok, I unterstood that the book is written in english. Does the book test use something related to the language used during the explanation of the test or is the test related just to the book (so the speaking language is not relevant) ?

Thanks
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Or maybe I don't understand well...because I'm American [smile]. Now I understand your good question. Hopefully Clint will come back on this topic and give you a definitive answer. Ciao!
clintbarron
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of clintbarron
Quote:
Does the book test use something related to the language used during the explanation of the test or is the test related just to the book (so the speaking language is not relevant) ?

Overflow,

The effect can be performed with just the words, therefore provided your spectator can read the word in the book, you can reveal it. Personally, I always try to go down the angle of the book is simply a tool to get a word thought of, and I focus more on them picturing the word in their mind, or converting the word to a visual image. However, they could simply just use the word, so speaking in this case is not relevant.

Hope that answers your question.
clintbarron
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of clintbarron
CaMagic51

Thank you for your kind words. I will do my best to answer your questions.

Firstly, the method is easy to learn. Without giving anything away, the core concept behind the method will likely be known to many in the mentalism field already. One of my main objectives in developing the method was for exactly what you said...extended periods between performances. With this method, you should easily be able to pick it up after 6 months or a year, and still be able to perform it just as well with little or no re-practice.

Indeed, no anagrams!

How examinable is Oasis? That depends on your audience. Clearly the effect relies on a gaffed book. As such, anyone intent on working out the method and with good time scrutinising the book will likely see some of its workings. I have tried to make the book as examinable as possible, and I am confident it would withstand an average browse through. As with most others, MOAB, Economicon etc, anyone intent on finding out and with enough time will find oddities. The key, as with any book test, is to take the heat off of the book and as I mentioned earlier, emphasise that it is a tool for finding a word. If your audience spend time wanting to examine the book then as a performer you have implied that the book is doing the magic, not you.

With all due respect, I don't want to comment on Oasis' similarity to Flashback. I haven't used it that much and don't want to give any false information.

To clear up the "middle" word, this refers to you asking a spectator to open the book at the page number called out, and placing their finger in the middle of the page. Again, without tipping any method, you use a little bit of linguistic manipulation to ensure you know they have the correct word selected.

Just a bit of more info for you in case it's not clear. Each page can reveal up to 3 words. A word in the top line (this will be the first word OR the last word, depending on the page), a word in the middle of the page, and the first word in the bottom line of the page. There are also additional "quotes" pages, as I call them, which allow for a killer reveal if called out.

I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to bounce any more to me.

Clint.
clintbarron
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of clintbarron
ESamuels,

Thanks for putting this review out there. Always good to hear feedback. I just wanted to address you point...

Quote:
The second thing is that there are absolutely no paragraphs breaks in the book. I don't know why it was typeset this way, and perhaps I'm out of touch with publishing, but it looks and feels intuitively wrong. It wouldn't have required much more of an effort to add breaks, so I really don't get this. Perhaps I am missing something in this decision.

This was indeed a deliberate choice. In order to ensure the middle word option works, I didn't want to add in any paragraph breaks that would detract the eye from where I wanted it to look. Whilst I appreciate that this comes as a cost, my personal feeling at time of creation was that it was worth it. Due to the limited time a spectator is looking at the book, I've never had them comment on this. However, valid point so thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Oasis Book Test (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL