The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Oasis Book Test (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Clint, Thanks for the great answers. Oasis sounds very well thought out.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2465 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Yes, you have been Insightful and helpful.

s
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2013-03-01 11:42, clintbarron wrote:
ESamuels,

Thanks for putting this review out there. Always good to hear feedback. I just wanted to address you point...

Quote:
The second thing is that there are absolutely no paragraphs breaks in the book. I don't know why it was typeset this way, and perhaps I'm out of touch with publishing, but it looks and feels intuitively wrong. It wouldn't have required much more of an effort to add breaks, so I really don't get this. Perhaps I am missing something in this decision.

This was indeed a deliberate choice. In order to ensure the middle word option works, I didn't want to add in any paragraph breaks that would detract the eye from where I wanted it to look. Whilst I appreciate that this comes as a cost, my personal feeling at time of creation was that it was worth it. Due to the limited time a spectator is looking at the book, I've never had them comment on this. However, valid point so thanks.

I suspected that might have been your motivation for the layout, Clint.

I concur that we never want to allow a participant sufficient 'down-time' to consciously scrutinize any gaffed book (or other device, for that matter).
My concern is always the potential for a person to intuitively sense that something is 'not quite right' with a prop.
And I'm not referring to some ethereal 'spectator 6th sense,' but the legitimate (sub-conscious) neurological process of thin-slicing/deduction.

But I also don't want to make too find a point of it.
I very much liked the thinking behind your method, but had the two expressed issues that prevented Oasis from becoming a 'go-to' option for me.
This is, suffice it to say, subjective, as we each have our own criterion for assessing the tools that we use.

e
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
Based on Clint's information, I intend to purchase Oasis. Thanks, Clint! P.S. I'm a book test addict anyway [smile]
kwhs
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kwhs
I purchased Oasis. I have other book tests and have made a few of my own. This way I do not have to force the book. However, I do like the simplicity which gives me an air of being able to delve into the spectators minds. Thank you Chris. I am enjoying using it.
kwhs
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kwhs
Oops, I meant Clint. Thank again for producing Oasis.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I posted a review of this on my blog today, hope it's not too late to help some people make a decision!
clintbarron
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of clintbarron
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 16:15, Olympic Adam wrote:
I posted a review of this on my blog today, hope it's not too late to help some people make a decision!

Thanks for your review Olympic Adam. I take on board your points and welcome your comments. I do hope you get some good mileage out of it and would like to thank you for purchasing it.

Clint.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 16:27, clintbarron wrote:
Thanks for your review Olympic Adam. I take on board your points and welcome your comments. I do hope you get some good mileage out of it and would like to thank you for purchasing it.

Clint.

Thanks for checking it out, it's a really nice book and does what it sets out to do!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Alakazam have it on offer with free worldwide shipping this week.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1663 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Old thread, but just got this from Hocus Pocus on sale. It's GREAT!
The method, in comparison to some other book tests, is very easy!
As with many book tests, and suggested in instructions, this would go well in conjunction with some other ESP type effect,
as opposed to standalone. Two thumbs up!
Juno-How
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Juno-How
Looks interesting! Not sure how I missed this one. Just ordered now. Looks like it would be a good addition to a pick a book type set up with multiple participants Smile
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
127 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Thank You Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Oasis is a solid, fun, easy BT.
I own most, and this is a nice addition.
Easy to get going with compared to most.

No mental gymnastics to speak of.
I'm very happy with this one.

252Oasis
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
326 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but if anyone was wanting this item but not willing to pay the original $80.00 price tag, MJM Magic has lowered the price of OASIS to only $29.95 while supplies last. Would be a great time to pick it up at a clearance price: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-15710.html
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah I got the email! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Oasis Book Test (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL