The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Knot Funny (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1178 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I just started using the Kandu Knot Funny, it took me a while to get around to putting in the show. It killed - I got so many laughs. I really hammed up the "trouble' I had getting the ropes in the tube - having them fall out the bottom and the cap popping off, etc. Oh, and here is a tip for sound effects. I bought answer buzzers made by Learning Resources. They come in sets of 4, each one has a different goofy sound effect and are battery operated. I velcro'd the one with the boing sound onto the back of the box and the kids generally won't see it and if they do, no big whoop. When the top lid falls down or the bottom tube falls out I press the boing button and the kids think it's funny. I can also press the button by pressing it against my chest as I hold the box. I'm going to try variations of the buzzers on other props - sometimes I'll hide them, other times I'll have the kids press the button. I won't over-do it, but I think I'm on to something here. I also use the Kandu Comedy Carton and the Comedy Cup and those are great also. I developed my own routine with the Carton that combines other props and stuff.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
It's one of my fave routines, still , and I've been using it for 10 years or more.

Love the sound effects ideas, Dan.

You just can't go wrong with "Knot Funny", it's a masterpiece. Probably the routine I've used more than any other....funny....one of my tubes split today, I've been using my second set for years, without a hitch. About time I got meself a new set.

Jef Eaton has some awesome props, but this one is way, way, above all the rest. Ten to fifteen minutes of hilarity, with laughter every few seconds. I don't know of any other magic routine with quite so many gags and laughs built in.

100% pure entertainment, quite brilliant.

10/10 no question, ages 3-6 years.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Would this be ok for kids 7 and above? Or is it a youngster trick?
Josh
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

In my opinion, for kids 3-6 years. I think younger kids will not understand it, and older kids will find it too "silly", and the method too obvious.

This routine uses a colourful box, and is full of silly nonsense. Absolutely briliant for that specific age-group.

For older kids use a cut & restored rope routine, for instance "The Short & Long Rope Mystery" p136 of Abbott's "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians".
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1178 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I think the trick can work for 6-9 year olds sometimes too, especially if the older kids are in the minority. I like to judge the kids as soon as I get there, and as I'm doing other tricks. If they seem into the silly stuff then this can wok for older kids, but I'd say it's more for 8 and under. And with kids 8-ish and older you can do some silly young kid magic (depending on their mood and personalities) successfully if you balance it out with cooler more sophisticated stuff.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 17:19, danfreed wrote- above:
I like to judge the kids as soon as I get there.

Do they all get life sentences, or just the bad ones? Smile
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1178 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Jay,
I make the bad ones disappear, or I transform them into a tiger. All 7th and 8th graders are pre-judged, meaning they should all be locked up for a few years. Of course, I used to be a substitute teacher on occasion, mostly for middle school, hence my attitude. I'm just kidding (a little).
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Hey Guys, Kandu here.
Thanks so much for the nice comments on my Knot Funny. It has been a great seller, and does make kids laugh. I use it all the time at my fair shows and the adults laugh just as much as the kids. (It could be the 6 beers they have consumed before lunch.) I am making more around April 1st (no fooling) and will definitely hold one for you Potty!
Anyway, thanks for the continued support and keep 'em laughing.
Jef
PS If you stall a bit after dropping the bottom out of the box,trying another magic word etc. it takes the heat off the switch.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

I totally agree about the switch - I have lots more silliness before the ropes are removed, when, in fact, it appears nothing's happened anyway.

By the time the actual reveal happens, I think most kids don't retrace back to when the switch might have occurred. Certainly never had a single kid call me on it.

I also find that most times I don't need to tell the kids to pull the rope at the end. I simply tell them to "hold it with both hands". 9 times out of 10, they instincively pull on the ropes when I wave the wand.

At yesterday's show, as often happens, the knots came off one at a time, which appears even more magical.

Most entertainingly, the two kids helping were named "Zander" and "Maria". Of course, when the magic finally worked, I sang "Zander Maria, Mater Dei". Of course, the kids didn't get it, but the adults had a good laugh. Now, you couldn't make that up!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1178 Posts

Profile of danfreed
That's cool that you employ spontaneous stuff (improv), I wish more entertainers did that. I've never heard of that song though, maybe Europeans know it more than here. But if I sang I wouldn't get paid!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

You know the song, everyone does! But I only sang the one line, from the middle. Can't find the version with "Mater Dei", that was what came to me at the time. There are many different versions:

Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum Et Benedicta tu in mulieribus Et Benedictus fructus ventris Ventris tui Jesus
Santa Maria, Santa Maria, MariaOra pro nobis, nobis pecatoribusNunc et in hora in hora mortis nostraeAmen
Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecumEt Benedicta tu in mulieribusEt Benedictus fructusVentris tui Jesus
Santa Maria, Santa Maria, MariaOra pro nobis, nobis pecatoribusNunc et in hora in hora mortis nostraeAmen, amen
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

That reminds me of meeting twins at a hospital a few months back, named "Holly" and "April"...I told them that on their birthday, it was an "April Holly Day". Mum burst out laughing - she'd never thought of that!
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
After the drop, I assure the audience that my invention probably worked anyway and pull out the still knotted rope. I re-tube the rope, have my two helpers hold the ends of the tube, and drape a foulard over the tube to provide an additional three seconds of darkness to complete the process. The foulard first goes over the girl's head, then the boy's, and finally mine. And still the knots remain, so we have to use the ultimate magic word for making knots disappear: "Mommy!"

Used it yesterday at a Purim party to the usual great response.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I love the bit with the foulard. I have used it on another trick but never on this one. I will have to try it out if I have your permission.
And the "Mommy" words are classic and funny!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Please do. Seriously, I be honored if it found a place in your presentation. And the "Mommy!" line, drawn out and loud, always gets a big laugh. By the time the foulard goes over my head, I'm kneeling betwixt the two laughing children with my hands out in front like a zombie and the foulard sucked into my mouth.

Need I say that I love performing Knot Funny?
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Thanks! I will give it a try.
And I am glad that you love performing my trick.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
767 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Dan. I love the answer buzzer idea. It sounds great. Yes, I also get good mileage out of Knot Funny for the younger ones.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5005 Posts

Profile of RNK
I finally put this in one of my shows and what a great prop/routine! The laughs were non-stop. Knot Funny is one of the few props/routines were the laughs are truly built in.

RNK
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

I have a brand-new pirate adaption on it's way from Jef, can't wait! Smile
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

My new pirated-up "Knot Funny" arrived today. I have a performance of "Magic Island" (my story show) tomorrow morning, and it will be tested for the first time.

Thanks, Jef, this is one of the props that's earned me more than any other......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Knot Funny (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL