The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Vortex by Dan Harlan (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I concur. It was an absolute pleasure to work with Card-Shark on this and the beautiful results speak for themselves. I'm always concerned when I have to hand over art to a second party, because I was a full-time graphic designer (since 1983) and part-time professional magician before reversing those roles. That should clear up any mystery regarding my knowledge of PhotoShop! I was actually one of the first users of the 1984 "toaster" known as a Macintosh, and subsequently an original "power-user" of all graphics-related programs... including Photoshop. So, I was thrilled to hear that my original files (good enough for me) would be replaced with exact hi-res color matched art... and then, my typical concerns were quelled when I started speaking tech-geek about how I created the art, and Card-Shark understood me! Yay!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
Is the deck in the other hand required to perform the trick?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3527 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Maxeroo,

It may not be necessary, but it helps to sell the effect, and it helps to end clean.

On a very separate note, you can't hand out the merged cards for close examination. I don't think that is an issue, as there are many good effects that can't be handed out. Also, handing out props is something that IMO we all have to figure out a way to avoid, even if they can be inspected, because it is not very entertaining for the rest of the spectators to sit around and wait for the "cynic" in the group to fully examine everything. I think a good routine shows what needs to be showed and doesn't get bogged down in turning over the "entertainment" to someone who wants to inspect something.

I think it is best when magic is entertainment, not a challenge. I don't ask to look down the throat of a singer, I don't think people should ask to examine our pockets and props.

You may not have been asking because of this, but perhaps others might be wondering, it came to mind, and I thought I would share.

KJ
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 14:35, Maxeroo wrote:
Is the deck in the other hand required to perform the trick?

Technically... no... but to do it the way I do it, yes, absolutely. In my performance, I use the entire deck of cards. I am doing something which involves all of the cards. The deck is normal and has been "in play" for quite some time. I merely take out the two queens (which are examined) and then "visibly fuse them together in a vortex!" I peel the queens apart and continue using the deck. There is nothing gimmicked about the deck itself, and... if you have moderate skill... the deck may be thoroughly inspected before and after the effect, but I can't imagine why that would be necessary or desirable.

Actually, I can imagine a possibility that you might like. Perhaps you may want to borrow someone's deck, take out only the two queens, get your lighter out of your pocket, place the queens as shown, gently heat their middles... [FLASH] ...the queens visibly merge into a Vortex! You shake them to cool them off and they eventually, visibly return to normal. You put your lighter away and the cards may be returned (unharmed) to your friend's deck. That's a presentation that could be done "isolated" if wish. Again, that requires a basic understanding of various techniques.

The existing DVD features Vortex integrated into other routines because that's the way I like to do it, but... I'll tell you what... if I had to shoot the video again, I'd stick a piece of flashpaper to the center of my gimmick! Maybe not all the time, but for special occasions (TV, VIP, etc.) it would be fabulous! Thank you for inspiring me to imagine an alternate handling which might appeal to anyone who gets one of these. That's why I love our little chats. Yay! Free bonus ideas!
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5263 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Flash paper - what a great idea!

While holding the deck in your opposite hand can be a bit daunting (at least for me... I'm not sure what to do with the darned thing most of the time!), but come time to take the Vortex apart and I can hand out the two queens completely clean and there is no gimmick in the way. That makes it worthwhile to hold onto the deck!

Great effect Dan! Thanks!

Jim
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1703 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
You can easily use the Flash Thumb Tip that is as destracting as Flash Paper. I have a lot of fun eith these things.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Dan, Great suggestion! Question for you: Eventually, cards wear out. Are there refills for sale without having to purchase the DVD again?
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Card-Shark,
What a great idea! I'm not familiar with flash TT. I'll have to look into it.
I would think that by using flash TT, you wouldn't run the risk of staining your gimmick card(s), right?
KJ.
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
KJ, I agree wholeheartedly about the entertainment aspect of magic. When a skeptic demands to see something, I am so tempted to walk over in a friendly and welcoming manner ask his name, courteously explain that we just don't have time to discuss each and every trick but that he's welcome to wait around after the show, and then thank him, pat him on the back and return to my place leaving him with a sign stuck to his back which reads, "Magician Wannabe".

Dan, Thanks for the explanation. What I really wanted to know (but did a poor job in asking) was if the deck could be any deck, and you answered that. Thanks! Vortex looks great. Good job, sir!
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Dan "The Man" Harlan...

You have got to love a creator who continuously gives the magic community good strong, commercial and visual effects that are thought out and routined to perfection. Not only is this a super visual effect with quality produced gimmicks (shout out to Card Shark) that has been worked out to be simple, direct and super clean...but he gives it to us for $20.00!!! I'm fairly certain a good deal of creators would have charged at least $24.95, some more like $30.00 - $35.00. Thank you Dan for another winner that I will be trying out in my walk-around gigs for sure. I can't wait to see what kind of reactions I get with that "moment of mayhem" when the two queens meld together and then the amazement when I cleanly and fairly peel them apart and hand them to my spectators. Now THAT is what "The Art of Astonishment" is all about! Bravo Mr. Harlan, Bravo.
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Are any UK Dealers looking at stocking this ?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7196 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You'll have to ask penguin that. I would have thought so.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 20:33, 1KJ wrote:
Are there refills for sale without having to purchase the DVD again?

Fortunately, there's very little handling so the gimmicks won't be subjected to constant wear. Refills/replacements might become officially available, but you can always contact me regarding any customer service follow-up issues and I'll make sure you're happy... regardless where you initially acquire any of my effects, I stand behind them.

For my friends who are waiting to purchase this directly from me, I have received tracking info which indicates I'll have them on Wed., March 6. I'll let you know the moment it's in stock and on my site.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments/reviews! I try to create effects and routines which are practical, unusual, and amazing... that we all can use.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Dan,
Thank you.

Maxeroo,
Well said. You geve me a good idea: Instead of sticking a sign to their back, stick a duplicate card, do a card vanish routine, and reveal it by having everyone listen to where the energy sucking sound is coming from in the room.

KJ.
mikesmithmagic
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mikesmithmagic
Brilliant stuff Dan, thanks for another superb visual piece of magic.
"I seriously love the disarming flexibility of Mick Wilson's SDP...one of those rare
card-handling procedures that exemplifies the concept of 'why run when no one is
chasing you'. SDP is an open-handed utility tool that conjurers will use to great
advantage when creating new effects in the years to come."

Mick Ayres, South Carolina, 2016
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
KJ,
Now THAT'S funny! And clever. And doable!
Gotta go work on my card vanish!
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
What I meant to say was, I gotta go work on my card vanish . . . and Vortex!!! Can't wait to see Mr. Cynic's expression when the cards morph.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1165 Posts

Profile of Jared
Took this out for a 'spin' this weekend using a marked deck. Spectator has a truly free choice and then you pull his thought form the Vortex....played very strong!
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Told ya that I'd let ya know... in-stock now on my site:
http://www.danharlanmagic.com/Vortex-vortex.htm
Thanks for your patience.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Rogerstatonmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Rogerstatonmagic
Dan,
I love this and will be purchasing from your site next week (payday) is it possible to make the gimmick for someone like myself who uses tally ho cards...or is there ever a chance of you releasing these with tally ho backs...not enough gimmicks with those...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Vortex by Dan Harlan (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL