The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do something Nice? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 22:37, S2000magician wrote:
Make people google "alabaster".

;)

Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 11:25, Dennis Michael wrote:
Nice Dream...but not reality

The dream is reality my friend Smile

Keep dreaming that it can't be reality if you wish, but there are at least 30,000 neighborhoods globally where this pattern of sustainable development is starting to take shape.

It's a shame that so many in the world cannot fathom a dream to ever be real....

As I have said in threads in the past here, by 2021, there will not be a person on earth who is not aware, or is actually part of, this pattern of sustainable community advancement Smile

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I would give every American a large dose on tolerance.

Sorry Laurie, John and Balducci but you Canadians already have plenty of tolerance.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 23:08, Al Angello wrote:
I would give every American a large dose on tolerance.

Sorry Laurie, John and Balducci but you Canadians already have plenty of tolerance.

And the rest of the world if you have any left. Smile
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 18:15, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
give the world the gift of sustainable clean water!

Matt Damon is the spokesperson for an organization trying to do that very thing. Info here: thewaterproject.org
Quote:

I'll pay 10x my share.

For $5,000 you can underwrite a well in a 3rd world country. Make your $50,000 check out to The Water Project or to Matt, I'm sure he'll pass it on. Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I remember one of the most eventful days of my life was attending the funeral of a friend whom I hadn't known for very long. His name was Ian and his path touched the lives of so many that he inspired me and still does to this day.

We met when I saw an ad in the newspaper asking gardeners if they'd like to donate plants for an upcoming fundraiser for the SPCA. I brought in some from my garden and when dropping them off I was asked if I could help with the sale on the weekend. I agreed and that's where I met Ian. Ian was an older gentleman who had a very caring nature and he invited the six of us "gardeners to his home the following Sunday for "tea". We were seated in his beautiful yard and desert served on his best china. So started the weekly ritual until I was informed that Ian had terminal cancer. I was devestated and some of my most memorable conversations came from Ian as we often worked in his garden and he spoke candidly of his impending death of his living will.

I attended his funeral which was held in a Jewish High school. He wasn't Jewish, but he had taught at the school until his retirement several years before. The hallways leading to the Gym were lite up by hundreds of candles.

I looked around and saw members of the Aboriginal Community (he wasn't Aboriginal), I saw people from the business community dressed in suits and ties, I saw others dressed as he had, in what I referred to as his probably past hippie days, I saw a numerous young men and woman who I found out were his past students some who were still attending school and others who had graduated many years before. There were members from a Human Rights Coalition - I found out he had won several awards for his Humanitarism, and there were many members of the gay community and this was when it still wasn't as politically correct as it is today.

Each group took turns telling the others of Ian's merits and his life's work. I only knew my friend as a fellow gardener! I had no idea of his depth, but it didn't suprise me. I often think back on that event and hope that at the end of my days I can even come close to what he achieved. They were his friends no doubt, but that he touched so many and made a difference and achieved this in his lifetime was something to emulate. I only hope to come close to a fraction of what he was able to do. I wish I had more time to know him but he's left an impact on me forever.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Beautiful quote Pakar!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If I had one wish, I would wish for everybody a wish,

and then they could wish for three more wishes. Smile

Tom
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 18:58, Chrystal wrote:
Beautiful quote Pakar!

Thanks Chrystal. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 00:18, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 18:15, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
give the world the gift of sustainable clean water!

Matt Damon is the spokesperson for an organization trying to do that very thing. Info here: thewaterproject.org
Quote:

I'll pay 10x my share.

For $5,000 you can underwrite a well in a 3rd world country. Make your $50,000 check out to The Water Project or to Matt, I'm sure he'll pass it on. Smile

Thanks. I will check that out.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Magnus,

Clean water and the building of wells.

That is one of the gifts that would probably have more impact on the world, resulting from the trickle down effect if a well was built in a village.

Just yesterday, I listened to a speaker connected with Save the Children and listened to the stats given. Examples of how women and children in some villages in Uganda have to walk 3 hours each way to collect water for their families. Access to clean water would not only have an impact on their health and safety but free up time for the children to go to school, resulting in all the villagers benefiting from clean water.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
The biggest problem is aid agencies......no aid agency has succeeded ever, according to this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXsLtHqfdM

....and I tend to agree with him. What is required is sustainable accompaniment to enhance capacity for indigenous populations to take ownership for their own socio-economic development, based on their own superior knowledge on what is and what is not required in their village, then will progress occur....

I've heard stories of villages developing disharmony because aid agencies waltz in, thinking they know it all, build a water well, and go home thinking they've done their good deed for the day, only to later realise that the entire social structure of the village is built on the women having that "3 hour walk"

Food for thought......

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Call me ethnocentric, but there's just got to be a viable social structure that doesn't revolve around having to walk three hours to get water.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 10:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Call me ethnocentric, but there's just got to be a viable social structure that doesn't revolve around having to walk three hours to get water.

Yes there is Lobo, but its not for me to go out there and tell them what it is.

Sure, I can go there and create a space for the community to come together and I can facilitate the constructive consultation for this solution to be found, but the solution lies entirely in the hands of the indigenous residents, not me.

I can even go there and be the source for the diffusion of knowledge ("hey guys, this is whats out there"), but again, what they do with this knowledge is completely in their hands. This creates sustainability and ownership for development.

Its the only sustainable way, and I can vouch, personally that it works, whether you are doing development work in so called "developed" countries or the so-called "third world" countries

Kam
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2013, Dennis Michael wrote:
If you could do something nice for humanity what would it be? And it shouldn't cost much if any.

That depends.

Could I do it without getting caught?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I would make a strong effort to no longer fart in public places.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
At our age who can trust a fart?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'd like people to find better ways of coping with the seed reasons for their avarice.

I'd like people to see that other people's Children have the same hopes as their own.

I'd like people to feel free to be their highest self (which can be scary).

I like the idea of fruit trees in general.

I'd ask people to do less chemical treatments to maintain yards. A few weeds and bugs (especially pollinators) are good for the world.

I'd hope that people see that our bio-sphere is our Mother and family.

-Mary Mowder
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
If you could do something nice for humanity what would it be? And it shouldn't cost much if any.

The first step to improving the world is realizing that it's not really a hypothetical question.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

The first step to improving the world is realizing that it's not really a hypothetical question.

Now we're talking!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do something Nice? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL