The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Quality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Hello

I was just wondering on what your thoughts are on the coins you use. My opinion is that I use Walking Liberty Half Dollars because they are interesting. I'm English, so not only is this not my currency but it might be considered very unnatural. However, I feel that bringing out some interesting, never before seen coins would be inherently interesting. If anyone questioned me about them, I could give an honest answer showing I've invested time and money in my props.

A friend of mine uses English 2p pieces. He says that this is natural and works for him. However these coins, to me, are worthless (financially they are too). They are made form copper, have a very boring design and are easily obtained. I believe if he uses coins of a higher value, or currency it would make his magic stronger.

What do you guys think?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Hi Shaun,

As I live in Sweden, we have Swedish currency here, which is, just as for you, boring to work with. The best thing to use for magic that we have is the Swedish 5 crown, which in size is a bit smaller than an American half dollar.

So when it comes to coin magic I really prefer to use half dollars, because they are just right for my hands. And the riffled edges makes them excellent to work with. The Swedish 5 crown coins don't have that.

When people ask me about these "strange" coins I perform with (half/dollars, silver dollars, pennys, and chinese coins), I tell them that I got them when I travelled around the world, and I like to perform with them because they are exotic looking.
I usally let the audience investigate the coins before my performance, to see that they are what they seem to be: oridnary foreign coins.

Then I make switches later when need be for gimmicked coins.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
I don't think it has as much to do with whether there is something "strange" with the coins as the fact that it doesn't aid the notion that you could do magic with ANY coins. There are different schools of thought, but the only one I ever seem to read about on these forums is whether the coins are gaffed or not. There is one guy on these forums, I can't remember his name right now but he posts a lot, that says he uses quarters mostly, because they can be borrowed.

By the way, I agree about foreign coins being a point of interest. I use Morgan dollars so Im not preaching one way over another, just wanted the idea to be clear:

It isn't always about whether the coins you use are gimmicks (most people have no idea about gimmicked coins) but can you do the magic with the coins in their pocket?

Just a thought
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I use what ever props look good and classy. The only time I use "local" money, is when the magic happens to the coin, ie coin in bottle, coin bending or cigarette thru coin. There the question rightfully centers on, Hey! "That's impossible!. "Let me see that coin."

Otherwise, it is just like using "local" chinese linking rings.

I also offer the point, that larger coins are easier to see and harder for me to "do any thing with." I don't use the word "palming" in front of lay audiences as per my earlier posts.

Kirk
GFord
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
53 Posts

Profile of GFord
The coins you are using are beautiful and interesting. The real magic happens in their mind. I think this can add to the presentation. And should you be challenged I'm sure that you can do something magical with any coins that they might provide.
Best wishes,
--GF
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2003-11-18 14:46, Shaun Robinson wrote:
Hello

I was just wondering on what your thoughts are on the coins you use. My opinion is that I use Walking Liberty Half Dollars because they are interesting. I'm English, so not only is this not my currency but it might be considered very unnatural. However, I feel that bringing out some interesting, never before seen coins would be inherently interesting. If anyone questioned me about them, I could give an honest answer showing I've invested time and money in my props.
The Walking Liberty is a really beautiful coin, which is certainly enough reason to use them.
It might be worthwhile to master just one effect with everyday local coinage, just to show you can. Something where the looks of the coin don't really matter, like a cap & pence thing.

The Euro coins should actually be kind of a boon to European coin workers -- now you can do an effect anywhere instead of worrying about different sized lire, francs, guilders etc.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I think it's just personal preference. Being that I live in the U.S. I use half dollars because most people are familiar with them. I use '64 Kennedys because the silver coins don't feel slippery like the modern ones do. Therefore, they are easier to manipulate for me.

I also think that using different coins are cool also. There are many of us (you probably do too) use foriegn coins. English Pennys, Centavos (Mexico), Chinese, Toonies (Canada) are a few that I use from time to time. Laypeople love to look at them. I also use silver dollars and am surprised at how many people don't realize that they are still made by the mints. My favorite coins are my silver dollar sized pennies. They are exact replicas and are solid copper. Things of beauty I tell you. People love to see these babies as well. Smile I am not a conventional coin collector but I do collect coins that I find attractive or interesting. Another example are a set of mini coins that I got from The Magic Warehouse. They are tiny and detailed out of this world. I don't use them often as I'm afraid of losing them, but shouldn't worry about that as they are very inexpensive. I think they were $3. There is a penny, nickle, dime, quarter, and half dollar. Again the detail on the little ones are incredible. Check 'em out. Smile Smile Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Does anyone out there actually use Euro's for their magic. I find the coins a bit chunky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Quality (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL