The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mynew backdrop (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I know there have been threads about backdrops, but I couldn't find any and none have been created recently, so I created a new one.

I mostly perform children's birthday parties with an occasional larger venue like a community Halloween party. So I have held off on getting a backdrop. But at Kapital Kidvention this month, I saw Jeff Jones put up a backdrop in moments and I was hooked. I bought one and it arrived Friday.

I used it in my show Saturday at an assisted living facility for a 91 year old woman. They put me in front of an ugly metal staircase. The backdrop hid much of the staircase and focused the eye on my performance.

Today I used it in a small house where they put my in front of a large window. As soon as I put up the backdrop, I heard the birthday mom go "Wow." I later heard other moms talking with her and raving about the backdrop (and saying nice things about me, too.)

I was a bit nervous about the assembly. I saw Jeff do it in a matter for seconds (it seemed,) but I knew he'd done it thousands of times. Except for a trial run at home Friday night, this was the first time I'd ever done it. The backdrop went up in about two minutes and I put it down and packed away in its carrying case in less than five minutes (extra time to roll up the curtain in a tight roll, like a sleeping bag.)

I'm really happy I took the plunge. I only know of one other kids magician in my area who regularly uses a backdrop, so this helps set me apart. As one of the moms said, it makes it look like a home theater. Jeff was very easy to deal with and helped me make a good selection of colors.

Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Nice. Very nice!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I looks good Larry....I've been tempted to get one too.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I own 2 of Jeff's Backdrops and have been using them for many years. They hold up really well and Jeff's Customer Service is outstanding.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Is the black sash (the thin band of cloth) needed to make the set up work?

Could it be removed? It seems out of place to my eye.

Which size is this?

Thank you.

-Mary Mowder
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I love Jef's backdrops, and use mine at nearly every performance. With very little practise, you'll be putting it up in about 30s, and taking it down in less than a minute. SO easy!

The reaction from the mom is typical - folks are astounded at how quickly the performing area is transformed into a theater.

In my opinion, it makes a huge difference - not only does it help to focus attention on the performer, but it also means any photos or videos that are taken look amazingly professional. So many venues have piles of chairs, or clutter, sometimes there's a pool table or similar behind you - or the ubiquitous basketball net hanging over your head! In an instant, the backdrop works it's magic, and suddenly, there's a special space just for you.

I also put all my boxes etc, behind the backdrop - as well as certain props, and larger items I want to keep hidden, like "Bigger Wands".

They look really good with a pop-up banner on each side too, like having theater wings. Lots of entertainers now have this arrangement.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Mary, the sash and curtain stay accents are Velcroed on, thus removable and interchangable. My JJ backdrop is red with black accents. I change them to green for Christmas shows and white & blue for 4th of July.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Welcome back Skip. It's been a couple years since you were here last. I hope that it wasn't health issues that kept you away.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Does it sag? It looks like it sags in the middle and the swag in the middle looks a bit bunchy. These do not seem to look as good in real life as they do when they are steamed and pressed on his web site.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Powermagic- no they don't sag in the middle that is where the stand is. which by the way would drive me nuts. I would never want my stand it the center like that.

but I am not going to get into what and why I don't like them. they work well for some and for some events.
I love my back drop and after 14 years it has never let me down.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Put those tables in storage. They are too collectable to roaming around.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Website to purchase?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Larry,

I have a question for you and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE try to understand I'm just talking in general here since I just spotted this thead.

My next comment isn't so much directed at you, but for others who use backdrops.

While I can certainly see why these would be a great item to use in certain situations, mainly stage shows, do you think it's overkill at birthday parties? I'm not necessarily saying it doesn't look good; it's just that something like this just seems totally out of place in someone's home.

Any thoughts on this? This question is really meant for folks who use these types of backdrops.

Thanks,

Gerry
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Larry,

One other thing. I understand the photo you presented here was just to show everyone your backdrop. I understand that.

Also, I could see why someone might want to put a picture like this on their website, too. I get that point as well.

Thanks,

Gerry
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Gerry, I kind of agree with you about this back drop
my bigger concern is that unless you are always playing a big place this back drop has limitations.

you need a certain amount of space height and width to use this back drop. and don't get me wrong I think they are great for stage but for the guy that needs some thing that can fit anywhere I don't see it being the solution. it is a quality back drop just not one that would meet all the demands I have.

my back drop can set up any where! period!

while my curtains on my back drop are not of this nature, meaning theatre looking, they are fun and do indeed change the look of the room but they are not so overwhelming as this one is.

just my thoughts

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 19:37, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Larry,

I have a question for you and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE try to understand I'm just talking in general here since I just spotted this thead.

My next comment isn't so much directed at you, but for others who use backdrops.

While I can certainly see why these would be a great item to use in certain situations, mainly stage shows, do you think it's overkill at birthday parties? I'm not necessarily saying it doesn't look good; it's just that something like this just seems totally out of place in someone's home.

Any thoughts on this? This question is really meant for folks who use these types of backdrops.

Thanks,

Gerry

Three benefits, both major:

1. Makes a tremendous first impression - less work to win the room, especially the adults
2. Helps the kids focus on the show - blocks out all distractions behind you
3. All pictures of your show will be framed by the same background - every picture will look professional and consistent

I've never ever ever ever ever had a show where I couldn't comfortably set up the backdrop. It requires about three feet of space from whatever's behind you, and that's it. The small one is adjustable up to I believe 8 feet high and 10 feet wide, and the big one 9 feet high and fifteen feet wide, but either can set up smaller (shorter and narrower) if need be. And it literally takes less than a minute to set up and strike.

Please don't share these thoughts with the other performers in my market.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I use a jet set (a telescoping T bar set up once used for photo shoots) which is about 6 1/2 feet tall by 6 feet wide. I can extend the sides a little but I usually don't.
It takes about 5 min to set up (my curtains are pre-threaded on PVC segments, one on each side. which slip over the top poles).

It does make the area look more special.

Kids often ask what they are for. I tell them it is to make the area more like a theatre show or just to look pretty depending on who's asking.

It is nice to have all the photos taken both during and after the show in front of the back drop.

Larry's is wider, taller, more stable, more "fancy" and faster to set up. Also more expensive.

Either way, I think a back drop looks nice.

-Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It looks good Larry, but be careful what color costume you wear when using it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 19:57, Sam Sandler wrote:
my back drop can set up any where! period!

while my curtains on my back drop are not of this nature, meaning theatre looking, they are fun and do indeed change the look of the room but they are not so overwhelming as this one is.

Sam - Can you share a picture of your backdrop? How does it compare in costs, set up time, and weight?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mynew backdrop (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL