The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley's Dazzle (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
I actually like the half pass on it.
It gives some.. kind rhythm to the handling, but this is just my opinion. Smile
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I am comfortable with both the finger tip and mechanics grip versions of the count and use them in different contexts. For example, when doing the original Dai Vernon's Twisting the Aces I always use the fingertip count as that's where my fingers end up after the twisting motion. But at the last count, showing all cards face down I use the mechanics grip because I haven't twisted the aces yet. It just feels more natural to me that way. For other routines I usually use the mechanics grip version simply because this is how I normally hold the cards anyway. It doesn't make sense to adopt a different grip for a simple show of the backs. (BTW the elmsley count should be used more to emphasize the backs (or faces) of the cards and not to show that there's only four cards, I can think of only a few cases where showing four cards is appropriate but that's mostly doing a three as four (or five as four) count using the elmsley technique.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
422 Posts

Profile of krowboom
It was mentioned by MartyJacobs and I agree that Elmsley's patter is what makes Dazzle a classic. His dry wit is hard to duplicate because the lines roll off his tongue so naturally. I could not come up with decent enough patter so I stopped doing it. Because the trick goes on for so long the patter I think is more important than the trick itself.

I worked it out without using the half pass which I can't do very well. If anyone is interested how I did it, pm me.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
291 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
I like to mix it up. I do the count in the mechanic's grip, but if someone is trying to get too close or interrupt the trick to ask "how are you doing that", I'll just say, "here let me do it right out here with the cards in plain view very slowly for you...". Of course the effect and the patter are important here. If they are expecting magic to happen in my hands, the fingertip move is nice, but if the effect calls for the count to be just counting out the cards as nonchalantly as possible, you don't want to call attention to the count.
theatfusatfus
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of theatfusatfus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley's Dazzle (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL