The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Brass Smooth Sherwood Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Just Sean
View Profile
New user
Westland, MI
14 Posts

Profile of Just Sean
For those that own Brass Smooth Sherwood Cups, about how long is the green stage before the dark patina develops? I have read a large amount of posts dating back to 2008, but very little mention of the patina that brass develops but a lot about the smooth copper ones.
Just curious as patiently wait for these cups that I have read and heard so much about.
Thanks,
Sean
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Richard Evans used a chemical process to do his and they look STUNNING! He's a member here (and a very nice chap to boot), a search may bring up the poctures of his....

Bruce Smith (BCS) has also done a lot with chemical patinas too, it's worth speaking to Bruce (another nice chap too!)

Bri
Just Sean
View Profile
New user
Westland, MI
14 Posts

Profile of Just Sean
I just can't see myself dipping these cups into a chemical. Thank you for the search suggestion, it brought up some good info.
-Cheers
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Well, perhaps Bruce's method will work with brass as well as copper? I have no idea....
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Instant-Patina-Part-1.html

Bri
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
A roofer once told me that equine urine would bring out a nice patina in copper, although allowing nature to take its course over a longer period of time would give a better result.

I think that the Richard Evans cups are shown in a thread in this forum a couple of years ago.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of BCS
Sean... Frank has a graet set of JP Cups with a patina; page 3 of the posting towards the bottom...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=60

Thanks,
Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

I missed those, they look great, nice combo with those balls too. I have the same set of balls but they look much better with the patina'd cups...
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
Putting a chemical patina on cups is very easy--I do it with mine. You can't really screw it up because if the patina looks bad...you just polish it off and start again. I usually apply the chemical patina, then by just handling the cups, the patina only gets better. Here is the website that I purchase the chemical patina from. I personally use the Mahogany patina--which I find brings out a nice tan / coffee color to the cups. But there are several different patinas. I actually applied the patina on one of my sets, then clear coated it with a bake on lacquer to protect it so it couldn't accidentally "polish" off.

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/
Just Sean
View Profile
New user
Westland, MI
14 Posts

Profile of Just Sean
I just can't wait to receive them. I am normally a very patient man, as I impatiently wait...
I am going to let them turn naturally.
Thanks for the great info!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of BCS
Doctor... did you get the music room photos I sent you?
Just Sean
View Profile
New user
Westland, MI
14 Posts

Profile of Just Sean
Doctor?
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1440 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Have a look at the signature line at the foot of JESmagic's post.

Dr. Schweid is an MD.
"But there isn't a door"
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
@ BCS no, I didn't get the photos! Please do send them again! I just obtained a Keith Monks record cleaning machine...pretty cool!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of BCS
I re-sent the photos to you as a PM... I am still in the Turn Table looking phase, maybe a VPI Traveler???

Thanks,
Bruce
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Hi all

I checked some old threads and found the links to the cups I patinised. I hope these links still work for you if you're interested. There are two sets. For both, I masked the lip and shoulder beads (I think I used liquid latex) to leave them as highlights:

Brass Magic Makers' cups using a product called 'brass black' - this turns the brass a very dark metallic black:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Ta......e_02.jpg

The second set are Sherwood brass cups. I used a product called 'Brass brown' on these: creates a rich brown colour. I had these lacquered professionally to preserve the colours:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Ta......1-sm.jpg

Although some of these products are quite easy to remove if the process turns out wrong, this is not always the case. There's a fair bit of preparation that needs to be done to make sure that the finish is even. I trialled this with some cheap brass fixings first to make sure I knew what I was doing before dipping $300 Sherwoods! It was pretty difficult to remove the brass back and restore the brass 'as new', so the process is not without risk.

Btw, the original discussion thread is here

I'm pretty sure I described the whole process in detail somewhere. I'll see if I can find the thread and will post the link if I can.

Best

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
721 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
WOW... these patina colors are very very cool..
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Richard, those are BEAUTIFUL! I love the contrast between the body color and the shoulder/mouth beads. Lovely.
ekins
View Profile
Veteran user
Portland, Oregon
397 Posts

Profile of ekins
Richard, great job on those cups. The constrast looks great. I always liked the sherwood silver with gold accent cups because of the contrast. Very nice job.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1440 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Those look beautiful Richard.
Thank you for sharing them with us.
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
A risky little job but both sets turned out real nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Brass Smooth Sherwood Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL