The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Child Sized Victory Cartons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
I'm thinking about making a set of victory cartons to produce my daughter from, in a sort of doll to girl transformation.

She is 5 years old, and I'm wondering how much I can get away with scaling down the dimensions. It seems the 3'x 3' is standard for an adult assistant production. But, if I scale down to 2'x 2' I'm worried that the sight lines would get much worse, not only on the sides but especially on the top.

Has anyone experimented with a Victory Cartons production of a child? If so, any advice on the optimal size?

Many thanks!
Scotty
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
3x3 is pretty good. Look into Victory Cubes by Creative Magic - nicer than the cartons and travel well.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
3'x3' seems a little large for the size of the "load" you are producing.

I would make up the size suggested and then start cutting down. And I would also like to suggest that the cartons can be well decorated. If you are thinking "Dolls House", why not an "Arabian Tent" style production (decoratedd as a doll's house) using the cardboard (or foam core) panels?

Blair
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Thank you, gentlemen. In fact, Blair, I was just debating the pros/cons of Victory Cartons vs. Arabian Tent. I will continue to consider that.

Scotty
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Get both

You are planning a return engagement, right? Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Scotty as I was saying using cardboard or foam core is very inexpensive so make both and see what your daughter prefers. I woud even let her help you choose the colors and decorate "her" house.

B
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Instead of guessing about sight lines, make a scale drawing of the illusion as seen from above including a reasonable estimate of the size of your daughter. from that you can determine the sight lines and calculate the safe angles of vision when performing the illusion.

If you are going to perform in venues with a balcony or steeply raked seating, remember that there are vertical angles to be considered as well.

You can (and should) also coach your daughter on how to move to help to eliminate flashes.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
A square circle illusion also works really well with young kids. (PM me if you are interested in details).

For Victory Cartons, you may prefer to keep the cardboard plain brown to appear more natural, it all depends on your presentation. Victory Cubes do look nicer, but are way over priced for the illusion, in my opinion. They may also be too big to be ideal for a small child. The ideal size will greatly depend on your performing situation. Slight differences in how wide the seating is and the distance from the performance will greatly impact the size of your cartons. I built mine about 30'' to allow me greater flexability in performing venues. Not always ideal, but more practical.

Doll House illusion is really good when presented as a Doll House with a young girl.
daav0
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of daav0
I am thinking about building a Doll's House to use with my new assistant. She is quite tiny (only 4' 8") and I could scale the Dolls house down from whatever plans I work from. This is going to do something else as well (not telling) but which Doll's house plans are the best to start with? (I have the assistance of a Master Cabinet maker and I worked creating theatrical props for years) I used to do a cardboard arabian tent as a Doll's house and it is all about the business and timing (and what isn't) This time I want to build the table and casters kind.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

I think the most amazing Dolls House is the Owen version, it's a Candy Cane Doll House, I believe Paul O. has a similar design. All the walls fold down, and I like the design of the base. Plans are available.

Dennis Loomis also has a good set of plans out, and his are available on CD with actual video etc.

As a note, I would not scale it down, opening the house and showing it empty should be enough at any size, if after building a standard size one you feel your assistant looks small coming from it you could always "bulk" her up via costume, boa, hat etc.!

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Child Sized Victory Cartons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL