The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Newbie...sort of (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Hello all. I have been a cardworker for the past 5 years or so, and a stage magician for ten years before that. I am trying to get into closeup, and I want to break free of the card magician category I have been typecast as. I want to incorporate many everyday things....(I've done the scotch and soda and locking 1.35 trick) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for research aside from Bobo. Let me know.

Sick of cards for now,
Pete
DrDale
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DrDale
How about a coin matrix or torn and restored bill. THere is a comercial trick where a bill is torn in half and vanished to be produced in an egg roll.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Dr. Dale,

Do you know the name of this effect by chance? I've been previewing DVDs lately, and a lot of these seem bad. For those that don't seem bad, they are taught by Ammar or Malone, which are fine, but they cost 80-100 dollars. I am also a college student. Ah the perils of magic on a budget. Thanks!

Pete
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
You might want to get books like Coin Magic by Richard Kaufmann (may be out of print) or David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. As for DVDs on coin magic, you can try David Roth's series.
Bernard Sim
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
You may wony to get some gimmicked coins such as a flipper or shell. I just ordered a flipper from penguin, can't wait to recieve it Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
These are my favourites when it comes to coin magic, and that I would recommend:

Tricks: Copper/Silver/Brass - Can be purchased from Hocus Pocus for $54.95.

DVD: Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic - Can be purchased from Penguin Magic for $39.95

Michael Rubenstein's Encylopedia Of Coin Sleights vol 1 - 3, can be purchased from L&L Publishing for $34.95 each, or $99.95 for all three.

Books: Coin Magic, and David Roth's Expert Coin Magic, both written and illustrated by Richard Kaufman. As Bernard stated, they are both sadly out of print. But you can always ask Richard through Genii magazine, if they are going to be reprinted.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hello Pete,

Where to start? How about 'Stars of Magic' as a resource? Or the Ganson books 'Art of Closeup Magic'?

Lots of books with great items.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
David Roths Expert Coin Magic is out of print? I ordered and received a copy from magicgeek.com about two weeks ago with no trouble.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Guess you were lucky then r4bid Smile
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
There are many copies of Expert Coin Magic lying around everywhere. It should be no trouble to find. I suggest getting a copper/silver coin, and an expanded shell. Then sit down with Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD or pick up Troy Hooser's works.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
For the basics on coins try the DVD on the Encyclopedia of Coin Magic (or some such title) by Dr. Rubenstein.

I have been playing with coins since the mid 70's. A new magic friend showed me the stuff on them.

It is nice to go back to the basics whether a novice at coin stuff, or one that is still a beginner after 27 years. Seeing someone demonstrating it is very interesting.

I grew up on Buckley, Bobo and Downs.(Manuscripts and books) and of course 1 to 1 instruction by locals and the pro's at conventions. After you learn a bit as they say pay it forward. It is a nice feeling to see someone I have shared with come up to me smiling and say "watch this". Last night it was a new magic friend who I worked with on the muscle pass.

Enjoy and play it forward.

I have only been to 3 conventions in 23 years. Two have been in the last year. I hope to get to two more next year.

Just my two liberty halves worth.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I would suggest the David Roth tapes if you want to start doing some coin work.
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Definitely start with something like the Roth or Stone tapes or DVD's as they incorporate good basic sleights and some routines so you can start using them. David Stone is more walk around but I prefer David Roth's teaching style. And of course got Bobo. Despite what people say the Dover edition is still good, but if you have the extra cash, get the NEW Modern Coin Magic
Shanester
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Please excuse a rather dumb question...returning to coin magic after a 20 year hiatus. Is the New Modern Coin Magic an abridged edition of Bobo's classic or does it actually contain new stuff?

Also, do there exist a few vendors that might carry books, videos and DVDs that are out of production but considered major or minor classics?
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
New Modern Coin Magic is a revised and updated version with three new chapters and some stuff left out. The Dover version of Bobo's is the original, and it is so cheap because it is no longer under copyright. There are lots of vendors that carry out of print books. Visit the links on Dan Watkins excellent coin purse website
http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/Links.htm
Shanester
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Shanester

Thanks so much for your good information!

cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I would say if you want to do COIN work go with the Roth DVDs volumes 1-3 if you want to learn quick, or his book Expert Coin Magic if you want to learn slower. If you want to learn MONEY magic (coins + bills) go with the Ammar ETMMM, which has stuff like coins through silk, bill to impossible location/lemon. Roth's Vids/DVDs are excellent and really speed up the learning process. I found that when I started coin work I really needed the visual from a DVD as opposed to a book. Hope this helps!
Take care,
Bryan
Also, you don't need to buy all 3 of ANY videos to be able to learn from them. Being a grad student now who began magic while a senior in high school, I also know the perils of NO MONEY. But hey, an extra $30 doesn't seem like a lot to me if I'm going to take away al ot of material that I'm going to use while doing a job that's paying $100-$175 per hour.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Good looking out Bryan, thanks.
Also thank you to eveyone else. Ammar's work is great, and I will review my Bobo book. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Pete
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Newbie...sort of (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL