The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Most difficult flourish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Which card flourish is the hardest for you to accomplish? Mine is The Boomerang.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Mine are some crazy things like the Cobra Cut and things like that.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I was recently talking to a friend and we rendered things like the cobra cut useless. As we are in the magic business, going to restaurants and corporate functions etc., what is the point in learning something like that, when at the end of the day it is not practical, and will not be useful in the real world? I think this starts an important thread. I would like to hear views, on what is practical and what is not in the real world. For me, you need:

A decent DL
A palm
A control

A few other things chucked in and you can do miracles.
La magie, c'est ma vie
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
Dynamike, VERY nice looking ssistants.
My favorite flourishes would be at this moment in time:

Crossed Cobras, Curly Q and Simple Switch.

Kyle
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-11-19 07:14, K_B_G wrote:
Dynamike VERY nice looking assistants.

Yes, I know, how do you think I got my name? Just kidding.

I'll tell them you said "Hi."
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I'm still practicing the speed of my sybil cuts.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
While I don't have a lot of flourishes down. I do enjoy seeing them performed and do perform a few. Ones that I've been working on are the Curly Q and the LePaul Spread. I have also been working on my two handed pressure fan. I have trouble with this fan as I am used to springing cards from my thumb as opposed to my finger tips (I've heard this helps).

In regards to those that think flourishes are not practical, I agree with a good friend that has been around the block more than once. He told me that as card performers, laypeople often expect us to handle the cards with grace and in ways they may have never seen. In a way, proving that we are very familiar with the props we use. I think using them at the right times also adds to the mental confusion of how we obtain our affects.

Spec:"Well, if he/she can handle playing cards like that, there's no telling what else he/she can do with them." Just my thoughts. Smile Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Instant Replay or Hot Shot Cut. I can't do either but I've tried and they are really hard.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Cobra cut type stuff is NOT easy, also some of the card acrobatics (like the hot shot cut) I have very little control over.

I like flourishes; I don't know a LOT, but the ones I do, I feel I do pretty well... That said, I RARELY do them in the context of magic performance.

Quote:
On 2003-11-19 18:53, leefoley3 wrote:
I think using them at the right times also adds to the mental confusion of how we obtain our affects.

Spec: "Well, if he/she can handle playing cards like that, there's no telling what else he/she can do with them." Just my thoughts. Smile Lee.

I understand what you're saying but that is the very same reason I don't do many flourishy moves--I don't want the specs to have a clue what is happening, I aim more for total invisibility of method (not that I ever GET it!) If I can achieve sleight of hand without that being even a remote possibility in the spec's mind, then I think that's when I've really done my job well.

If you can blow someone's mind & make people believe you are using a trick deck when you're actually using a regular deck...and you can then SHOW them it's a regular deck--yeah--that's what it's all about. Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Cobra are great in the real world for table hopping and coporate events just like De'vo uses it. But you must have the right presentation! The proper presentation is supposed to be released on the Cobra DVD.
stine
View Profile
Regular user
TN
152 Posts

Profile of stine
Curly cue move is not only hard but frustrating because once you can do the LePaul spread you figure this will come easy. I saw it first done by a magician in the early eighties and it was perfect so I know it can be done.
JayPea
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of JayPea
LePaul Spread (getting there)
One handed riffle shuffle (cannot weave the cards together consistently)
Curly Cue Move (I just plain suck at this)

These are 3 flourishes that I currently can't do to save my life (good thing such a circumstance has not presented itself). However, I'm not very good at flourishes in general anyway (which is why I am so proud to have mastered Instant Replay/Simple Switch as it's pretty much the only flourish that I can do well). Regardless, my stubbornness will keep me going.
AutoX
View Profile
New user
British Columbia
59 Posts

Profile of AutoX
Cobra Cuts all the way people! Although I am having a heck of a time perfecting the LePaul Spread Smile
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Okay, at first I wasn't going to reply to this thread but these are my thoughts and as well something that should be said.

THE COBRA CUT IS NOT ANYONES BUT DEVO'S at this point if you are copying it you are doing it wrong and probably poorly. The person that said I am a magician and have no use for stuff like this. Well I am a full time pro and I must say that if it is done at the right time and with the right attention to the routine, it will do nothing but add to the ENTERTAINMENT value of your show or set.

I have always use several flourishes in my close-up set but I have reason and motive for it. The audiences love it if it is done well and for a reason. Just my thoughts. And we all have them. Smile
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
Oh Crossed Cobras all the way
is a "jaws droped" for everyone.

Skill
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Hot shot cut for me. I do a version that Laymen think is incredible, but seasoned Magi would fall off their Wizard brooms laughing. Sort of a cross between Ammar's Swivel Roo cut meets Daryl's hot shot cut.
It works for me.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
The 30 packets display is really difficult.
It's crazy.

Skill Smile
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
cardguy24
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of cardguy24
Quote:
On 2003-11-19 21:58, bigchuck wrote:
Cobra cut type stuff is NOT easy, also some of the card acrobatics (like the hot shot cut) I have very little control over.

I like flourishes; I don't know a LOT, but the ones I do, I feel I do pretty well... That said, I RARELY do them in the context of magic performance.

Quote:
On 2003-11-19 18:53, leefoley3 wrote:
I think using them at the right times also adds to the mental confusion of how we obtain our affects.

Spec: "Well, if he/she can handle playing cards like that, there's no telling what else he/she can do with them." Just my thoughts. Smile Lee.

I understand what you're saying but that is the very same reason I don't do many flourishy moves--I don't want the specs to have a clue what is happening, I aim more for total invisibility of method (not that I ever GET it!) If I can achieve sleight of hand without that being even a remote possibility in the spec's mind, then I think that's when I've really done my job well.

If you can blow someone's mind & make people believe you are using a trick deck when you're actually using a regular deck...and you can then SHOW them it's a regular deck--yeah--that's what it's all about. Smile

I agree, there is nothing I get more pleasure in than doing that exact thing to people. I actualy aim to make people want to see the deck such as when I do ambitious card I don't tell them to sign it. I just let them see the deck if they think I'm using duplicates. Smile Smile
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
I would say either the Porcupine from Capcuts or King Cobra from Superhandz
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Ya know, those one-handed card fans are pretty impossible! Smile

Actually, I'm having a lot of trouble with the one-handed shuffle. I can get close but never a decent one. I have no need to do it though. Most people are amazed by the one-handed cut! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Most difficult flourish (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL