The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Most difficult flourish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ijones
View Profile
New user
central Florida
6 Posts

Profile of ijones
"NOT TRUE! Flourishes should NEVER be woven into a magic act. They are complete different arts."

Never listen to anyone who uses words like never.

Art by its very nature should be free of rules and restrictions.
Do whatever you want and there will always be people who love it, and people who knock it.
Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

I am working on a combination of ball manipulation, contact juggling, classic and modern card manipulation, and magic (not the "pick a card" kind though),
and the reactions from the people I have tried stuff out on has been very good.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -M.K.Gandhi
Fu Manchu
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fu Manchu
The Legendary One Hand Spring
Bender
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Bender
I am a cross artist, and I weave flourishes into my magic and get huge responses. Granted I started off as a juggler got into card manipulation, and from there started card magic. I have an ambitous ace routine that is a combination of magical and flourishy ways of producing the aces. Saying it should never be incorporated shows an ignorance of what flourishes are. If you are going for something entirley magical, then of course don't use flourishes, they would be out of place. But if you want to incorporate an idea of skill into your routines, then by all means use flourishes. One of my favorite revalations is when I use De'vo's heaven display, and the card is revealed in my mouth. As for most difficult flourish, I'm trying to go for the Ulmen trials and to me switch packet cobras is child's play compared to simulatneous one handed shuffles with the thumbs tied together, but hey that's just me.
I bends da spoons, da keys, anything I touch, But most of all I'll bend your mind!
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
Quote:
On 2004-07-21 16:17, Sith wrote:
The Legendary One Hand Spring

If I hadn't seen jerry do it in the video at superhandz, I would have well thought that it was impossible. It still sounds impossible.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
Josh Allens
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
188 Posts

Profile of Josh Allens
Well that's a hard call even though I have no clue what what the flourish is. Id have to say the 13 Ulmen Trial. Besides that the Packet Switching Cobras.
werton
View Profile
New user
atlanta
65 Posts

Profile of werton
I havent even treid to do the cobra cut but the one that looks the hardest is the fire cobra or king cobra
Josh Allens
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
188 Posts

Profile of Josh Allens
The fire cobra just looks scary. I wouldnt ever try that. In my last post I didn't mean I didn't know what a Flourish was. I was saying I don't know what the 13th ulmen trial is, but its probably the hardest.
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
As for combining flourishes and magic... it's a revolution! ACCEPT IT.

Magic can me shown in a flourishy kind of way, the same way stage performer present with lots of flair. Anyone who has seen Generation X knows that this is possible. Although this kind of presentation doesn't allow for much audience participation (or does it?) people will remember you for yor skill, and they'll know they were lucky to see this once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.

As for a difficult flourish, here are some of the things that have really been burning my marhsmellows:

-Revolution Erdnase (Buck)
-Vertigo (Buck)
-King Cobra Cut (De'vo)
-Anaconda (Bone)
-Mechanic's grip (Just kidding)

That's it.

-Kev
Josh Allens
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
188 Posts

Profile of Josh Allens
You scared me for a minute Kevin. Hope you master the Mechanic's grip someday. Smile
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
I think I got the Mechanic's grip down, Josh. But I can't seem to stretch my pinky all the way opposite my index finger. Ouch. I'll have to go buy a thumbtip for this.

Or, I can just buy the underground stealth DVD, where Jetheat teaches the mechanics grip... Smile

-Kev
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
Burns,

You should pick up a copy of Scams and Fantasies and see what Darwin Ortiz has to say about the subject of flourishes and anything else that displays skill (gambling routines)) in magic.

But in a nutshell he mentions, that trying to convince people that you have no skill or are incapable of sleight of hand is the weakest possible method, and was falsely preached among magicians for a long time.

The best method to make your audience experience magic is to make it seem as if sleight of hand couldn't account for what they saw.

Let's say you performed 10 minutes of non stop flourishes, manipulation, and skill work. Armspreads, springs, sybils, cobras, whatever. By the time your finished the audience will acknowlege that you are very, VERY skilled.

Then you leave a pack of cards floating in the air and walk ten feet away. Are they going to think "that's stupid, it's just skill, anyone that can spring cards over his head can make objects float at will"

Cardini produced cards in beautiful one handed fans. But the fact that he could fan them perfectly (ala in a skillful and flourishy mannor) did not explain where they came from!

I mean really Burns, your argument is a poor one.

You and anyone else that holds that opinion also fail to see the difference between a spectator's emotional response, and a spectator's intellectual response.

If you believe your audience actually will think you have magic powers you are only fooling yourself.

In their minds, intellectually they know it's not real magic. But that doesn't stop them from experiencing the feel of magic.

Anyway, like I said read the essay in Scams and Fantasies, all my examples were from that book.
Joshua 24:15
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I've read scams and fantasies, but I think the August issue of Genii said it best. De'vo's views were that of one that specializes in XCM and used to be a magician. His views were priceless in this classic argument. You should really read the Genii article.

Phantom
bjiamin
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bjiamin
Flourish demonstrate skill, and sometimes it might be better for the laymen to think that there is magic going rather than just a very experience card manipulator

cobra is tough esp at balancing .. imo, tudor's very bad habit on showoff2 is also hard (to get it to a speed which it looks impressive)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Most difficult flourish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL