The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions with phone box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Hoping to get the creative juices flowing. I'm doing a good old British variety show and wanted to work in some true British, erm, 'things'.

I'm looking at an illusion involving an old red telephone box, a production, penetration, whatever!

Any thoughts?? David Nixon did a production using one years ago, and I seem to recall seeing a Zig Zag painted up like one too

Mark
Mark Daniel
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Assuming you are refering to what we call a phone booth (tall, narrow, walk-in phone closet) there is a routine in Wels' "Great Illusions of Magic", called Murder in the Telephone Booth". It is an old Thayer illusion. Owen may have plans for it, if you don't have the book.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Here is one of the zig-zags involving a phone both. I like the "blades" that were used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezW5flj2wE
jeffl
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of jeffl
Here's a thought if not a pre-designed effect: Go look up Doctor Who (like on Wikipedia) and find "tardis" (although I believe in the series it was blue not red). Maybe something along the lines of Million Dollar Mystery, or just a deceptive b***. (At least it's a commonly understood metaphor.)

Also I believe SOMEWHERE on the web I saw a picture of a kind of vertical "missing-middle-assistant" phone booth thing, where the upper and lower halves were pulled apart, don't know by who or how it was accomplished, never found a video but maybe someone can find one or at least knows who performed it.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
That phone-box-zig-zag was cool!
...About as deceptive as a knock-off Interlude, but still cool.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Come on boys, that zigzag/phone box looks horrible.
That could be a great concept... in case it was minimally deceptive... It lacks everything that made great Harbin's design.
Its working is quite obvious.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
First Thought: Didn't Maxwell Smart make an appearance in a Phone Booth (Phone Box to you Brits) in the beginning of every episode of "Get Smart?"

Second Thought: The glass front suggests that you could do a version of the Elevator Illusion with a Phone Booth. You better get permission from Jim Steinmeyer if you plan to build this.

Third Thought: you could jump into the phone booth and come out as Superman!

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 10:34, Dennis Loomis wrote:

Third Thought: you could jump into the phone booth and come out as Superman!

A Brit fighting for truth, justice and the American way?? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
That's funny, Michael!

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
jeffl
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of jeffl
I'd better stop assuming that folks get my obscure pop culture references, I thought mentioning tardis because it's "bigger on the inside than it is on the outside" would suggest SOMETHING magical to all you braniacs...
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Here are a couple of illusions featuring a telephone box:

http://youtu.be/XCjxZnMiUQI A tipical red British telephone box

http://youtu.be/6mbDaew2H-E?t=27m Go to 27:00 Not the tipical red one but a telephone box

Hope this could inspire you
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 10:03, Sorcerer wrote:
Come on boys, that zigzag/phone box looks horrible.
That could be a great concept... in case it was minimally deceptive... It lacks everything that made great Harbin's design.
Its working is quite obvious.

Oh, good. Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I was afraid I was just coming across as a snob.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
I have an idea PM me.
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
If you're interested in an appearance of somebody (maybe yourself) in a british phone booth, try to contact Bill Smith from Magic Ventures, he has once build an illusion like that.

Oliver.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Dennis - many years ago (mid '80s) I performed an illusion called "The Phonebooth" (catchy huh?). In it my assistant tricked me into climbing into a prop designed to look like a phone booth. She took on the roll of the magician proceeded to push 5 blades thru the box, slicing me in 6. At the end the blades were removed, the music changed to the Superman movie theme, the door flew open and I jumped out in a full Superman costume. I took a pose, she jumped into my arms and the the lights went to black.

It was an incredibly popular routine and my assistant at the time (Brenda Fox) really sold it. The prop was based on an old illusion called the "Lady Divida". Unlike a standard cutting in 6 illusion, only two blades were pushed thru horizontally ( - ) splitting the box in three sections. Then a blade was pushed vertically ( I ) thru each of those three sections splitting each into two. It was a very deceptive prop with no b---. Especially since it was me that went in instead of Brenda.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi Murray,
Wow, I haven't heard a reference to the "Lady Divida" illusion in many years. It was invented and built by Ed and Joy Wilcox as I recall. I bought three or four of their illusions. (One was the "Mad 'atter," and another was called the "Centrifuge.") I wanted to do a version of the "Lady Divida" but I wanted to be the inside person. And, I had an idea for a modest improvement. I spent some time with Ed and Joy at their home in Altus, Arkansas and we did some sketches, then a rough mockup. We called the result the "Divida." It had the same two horizontal blades, which divided the illusion into three compartments vertically. But instead of the vertical flat blades, we used three tubes which were placed diagonally into the three compartments. To make it even more dramatic, we had three 300 watt light bulbs on a six foot long stick. The bulbs went into the tubes and were then turned on and all other lights (except exit lights, of course) were turned off. The illusion was pivoted left and right so everyone could see the inside of the tubes. It was quite spectacular and always drew a big round of applause.

It's interesting that you had the same idea of having the male performer do the inside work. Small World.
A few years ago I tried to contact Ed and Joy but I could find no phone number for them, no email, and the letter I sent to their old address was returned. I have no idea where they are today. I seem to recall that one or both of them taught High School classes.

I can remember that they would set up a booth at magic conventions and demonstrate their illusions. People would come running from all over the showroom to see the Centrifuge illusion demonstrated. The "Pepper's Ghost" principal didn't fool all of the magicians, but it was intriguing to watch even when you knew what was happening. I recall standing with Charlie Reynolds at a convention discussing their illusions. I told Charlie I had ordered two or three of them. He felt that the illusions were very good magically, but he disliked the upholstery job they did on the outside. They used fairly inexpensive vinyl as you will recall. Charlie said it was "...texturally tacky."

Thank you for starting this trip down memory lane for me, Murray.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
I'm not sure who built my original Divida as it was a painted wood finish. Back then we did a pretty standard "assistant in box" routine but on a challenge on day I got into it and almost fit. I started to think that it might be a strong routine if it looked like my assistant turned the tables on me and cut me in six. I built a second (slightly larger) prop and it worked like a dream. Then we came up with the idea of the "Superman" routine and at first redecorated the prop to look like a phone booth. In 1986 I totally rebuilt the prop to look like a phone booth. It was a really fun routine and let me tell you, audiences went crazy when Brenda jumped out from behind the prop where she was hiding and slammed the door on me.

Murray
PetervanRhein
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
62 Posts

Profile of PetervanRhein
I know Craig Dickens made a Steinmeyers Invisible Man shaped like a blue police Phone Box.
I saw the picture and it looks really great (well you know Craigs work!)

Peter Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions with phone box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL