The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How do you handle this kind of thing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2013-03-06 14:05, charliecheckers wrote:
Loved it - Definitely a great lesson on how to do the whole "magician in trouble" thing.

Me too! I've watched this vid quite a few times, and his sense of timing, and the way everything is so wrong, makes it quite, quite brilliant! When he demonstrates Hip Hop Rabbits, it has me in convulsions of laughter. I don't think he probably intended his act to be that way, but he pulls it off with real aplomb. Notice how the whole audience, adults as well as kids, are fascinated.

I wonder how many kids' performers can engage adults with Hip Hop Rabbits, quite like this chap?

He's a lot like Tommy Cooper, although with a very different personality.

And, see how many wannabe magicians have denigrated him in the comments? You can't argue with the fact that he has the audience spellbound. Especially, the adults, who normally talk over kids' performers with these effects. Carl Dwyer has EVERYONE in his grip.

Of course, any good reactions have been edited out, to make it look worse than it is....we all know how Flito Flower ends....with guaranteed laughter from the kids.

But he hadn't put the feke in place on the flower - so when he sneezes, it doesn't fly off! Oh, boy, it's a sheer joy to watch. Why perform your act strictly following the instructions, when you can do a "Carl Dwyer"?

Would I recommend him? Absolutely.

A really endearing, funny, and entertaining performer.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
To magicians maybe. I can't believe you're serious.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2013-03-07 00:37, MickNZ wrote:
To magicians maybe. I can't believe you're serious.

I'd suggest you watch again, and note the audience reaction. This guy has his audience captivated, no question.

I am absolutely serious. Just because it doesn't fit the mold you're expecting, doesn't make it any less entertaining. But yes, I'll admit, that for magicians, it's even funnier. We know exactly what he's doing wrong, whereas laymen and kids are less aware of the technical stuff.

See the way he awkwardly holds the Silver Sceptre up to his face, then when it leaps out towards his face, it doesn't make contact, and he underplays his reaction? Subtle, and really funny!

Quite how much of his performance is intended to be this way, is up for debate. But Tommy Cooper discovered that he had a talent for "getting it wrong", when he was attempting to perform a "proper" magic show.

It's hard for me to believe that Carl's whole act was so beautifully choreographed by mistake. I guess it's just possible, but surely, this is his style. And, whether or not that's true, the fact remains that it's absolutely fascinating, genuinely entertaining, and highly watchable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How do you handle this kind of thing? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL