The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jack Carpenter -- All In DVD (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I must say the reason I hope this product does well,is not because of the quality of material and teaching,which I know will be top-notch(I've only got the L and L ones),it's because Jack comes across as a very nice bloke.
I have the same affinity with Alan Ackerman.It's nice to see good magic be produced by good people.I don't
mind giving my money to nice people.
These pair go someway to neutralising the other tossbags who hawk their wares unscrupulously.(See numerous posts full of drivel and hype from undeserving "creators" in this same forum.)
I hope my small contribution goes someway to paying your electric bill. Smile
Good on you Jack!
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
475 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
I can't wait to get mine!

Jack has got to be my favorite magician/creator. If you never have, go visit and subscribe to his youtube channel.

Jack's expert card handling is only exceeded by his cleverness and his ability to consistently churn out new material that entertains and fools me.

I hope you're already working on your next project Jack, We'll be waiting!

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Watched both DVDs over the course of today

There are some lovely utility moves on Disc 2 which could be applied to a number of routines. Although not too difficult they will certainly take time to perfect
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I'm still on disc 1 and loving what I've seen.

If you look at the trailer, at 00:38, you can see a bit of Running The Aces and hear Ben Train say "I have no idea what you're doing". lol

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3347

Yet, there are no difficult sleights.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Disc 2

These are moves and tricks. These are not monkey moves. They could be, but Jack has touches that make them easier then some traditional teaching/procedures that I've come across. Some guys like to do difficult moves to show they can. Jack goes for what works and looks best.

Among other sleights, Jack teaches the Zarrow Block Addiction. It allows you to turn over 4 cards, but any number of cards can be turned over. It's not difficult and the illusion leaves them seeing/sensing nothing has happened.

Direct Switch: is a way to switch 4 cards. PERFECT for doing an assembly or even a pseudo losing the 4 aces into the pack, but they are actually in your full control on top of the deck. The are so many applications for this in other tricks.

General Utility Control: Another simple ( yes, I can do it ) control of 4 cards. It looks so clean and fluid. I watched it 3 times and couldn't catch the move.

Multiple Card Switch and One Two Switch ( sounds difficult, but it's not ). Jack takes 4 queens and one at a time they change to the 4 aces.This is beautiful card magic. If you can do an Elmsley, you have a showpiece. When you're showing it to magic friends at the club, you can throw out Al leech references and sound ( as you should ) like you have historical knowledge.

Jack shows another trick with it ( reminds me of Al leech's sleeve Aces, but it's done all at once ).

The two tricks Jack did to illustrate the switch were not throwaways and are visual gems.

Retention Switch: This is like the convincing control, but face up. check the trailer at 1:18. You spread through the cards and have them name one, up jog it and put it on the table face down and it's a different card. There are so many applications for this. Not difficult and VERY forgiving in it's not having to be perfect ( in fact, the messier the deck, the better it looks ). The retention of vision is beautiful! It even looks good being done slow.

Spread Switch: Anther beautiful retention of vision switch. This one will take some work to look smooth.

Toss Palm: I have seen professional Magicians as well as amatuers cock their right pinky, move the deck up, back down and just making it look "movey" ( that's how it looks when I do it ). Jack first discusses and then shows the Erdnase bottom palm and then does his toss palm.

Jack tosses the deck into his hand and the card is palmed. There is nothing to see. It just happens. 1 card, or multiple cards ( 4 aces, 2-4 selections ).I went to the mirror and did it. I tossed the deck into my left hand and the card was palmed. This is game changer for me.

Barstool Steal: A way to palm a card under the disguise of pushing it into the middle of the deck. If you are good at palming cards, you can do it with some practice.

Tip for the Diagonal Palm Shift: Jack tips a way to avoid that click sound you can get with the DPS.

2nd Dealing Tips: A great way to have to the larger motion cover the smaller motion to make second dealing easy to do. If you tried and couldn't to a second deal, you'll be able do it now. When you see how large the brief Jack has to take the second card, you'll see why anyone can do this. At speed, the blur covers everything.

Jack also goes over stud dealing the seconds face up.

Bottom Dealing Tips: If you're interested in bottom dealing Jack gives his tips for making it smooth..

Jack now goes from gambling to card magic.

Imagine: I think this is great mentalism trick.

Jack spreads the cards and Chris Mayhew choses one. Chris puts it back in the pack and shuffle the deck. Now Ben Train just thinks of a card and 'sends it' to Jack. Jack takes a card from the deck and places it face down in front of Ben.

Mayhew and Ben announce their cards. Jack spreads the deck and Chris's card is the only one face up in the deck. Jack turns over over the prediction of Ben's thought of card and the prediction is correct.

If you can force a card and do a top change, then you can do this gem.

Touch My Heart: This is a a FANTASTIC, 2 card/transpo trick. There are actually 3 tricks with just 2 cards. I think EVERYONE will be doing this. Check the trailer at 2:09 for a small bit of it. And it's very easy to do ( just a DL ).

The Vanishing: 4 jacks cause 4 indifferent cards to vanish and then the jacks turn to aces. Not difficult, but requires a set up and practice to make it flow. Less experienced performers may shy away from showing 3 suits as 4, others may put this into their set.

Four: Another visual stunner using the Zarrow Block Addiction. Jack shows ALL 4 jacks, they get placed on the table face up in a pile. The pack is cut in 4 equal piles and the jacks are picked up, but they have turned into the 4 aces. Yes, all 4 aces are thrown face up on the table, thanks to a wonderful Bill Goodwin unload of a single card ). On top of each pile are the 4 jacks.

The tricky part will be cutting the 4 piles. That will take practice as 3 of them have to have a jack on them. But, only 2 piles use a sleight to make it happen. Jack uses a top card cover pass, but you can cheat and use a slip cut. Unless you perform for other Magicians, this works fine.

The practice will be worth it. I lOVE this routine.

Card Matrix: Jack shows 4 aces and lays them down in the 4 corners like the classic coin trick. One at a time they gather. They get turned over and they are the 4 queens. It has a very Ammar "Shadow Coins" look to it. It uses the Zarrow Block Addiction to start it off and the teaching is from below, through a glass table and this makes it easier to learn.

Well, that's it. I wanted to write up descriptions for you because the ad just listed the names of the tricks. I think the trailer ( it's done very well ) and Jack's reputation may have some believing this a Gambling/sleight intensive set. It isn't. There's something for everyone, from gambling themed to card magic and a stunner like the Touch My heart ( 2 card transpo ) only uses a DL.

Hope all that helps!

Zombie
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3535 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I recently received this and while he says this is a DVD about "how to do", not "what to do", I found a number of things in there that the makings of great routines. He teaches some really good moves and I found that most of his moves are a lot easier than many other moves I have tried (and often failed) in the past. It seems Obvious to me that he has really spent some time trying to get the most magic out of the least complicated of moves, and I really appreciate that.

KJ
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Touch My heart ( 2 card transpo ) will fry people.

THis is also a "fun" set to watch. It's very lively ( some all card trick videos/DVDS can cure insomnia ) and Jack knows how to teach.
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
158 Posts

Profile of Jack Carpenter
Thanks so much "IKJ" - much appreciated and I'm so glad you picked up on the value of thinking through a sleight - which more often than not results in something more deceptive and often "easier." Practice is important- and equally important is making sure you're practicing the "thought out" version first!

And Zombie - I think I'm gonna have to send you out on the road as a franchise!! Thanks again!

-Jack
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I know this will sound silly... but I cannot believe that I'm involved with this project. Jack was, and is, a hero of mine.

When I first saw Jack do the running the aces it did indeed fool me. He did it several times and it fooled me. When he explained the method I felt like a little kid- because it was EASY and practical.

There is a lot of killer stuff on this set. I haven't seen the dvds yet (I ordered a copy!!!) but I can't wait to check it out!

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Ryan930
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Ryan930
This DVD set certainly looks very entertaining, looking forward to getting it for my next purchase. Appreciate zombie's review here too.
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of oscarf
I have had just about the identical experience to Zombie Magic. I was away last week, but I knew the discs had arrived, so when I got back last night, I too stayed up until 4:30 AM, even though it like to killed me, as they say. I love Running The Aces and Poor Uncle Joe, both of which I could pick right up. Most of the rest is just a matter of having some time. I have bought a mountain of stuff over the decades, and even more over the last two years, but this two-disc set is the best money I've spent on magic in as long as I can remember. FANTASTIC!
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
475 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Zombie's detailed breakdown and review on page 1 is spot on.

If you love card magic and haven't ordered this, be nice to yourself and pick it up. You'll be glad you did.

Great job Jack!

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
836 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Zombie has already posted most of what needs to be said, but I'll add to Jack: my wife simultaneously loves you and hates you. She loves you because because you're magic is amazing and entertaining to watch, and she couldn't help but love seeing how excited I got when watching All In. At the same time - she hates you because every 5 seconds I was dragging her away from her book, saying "watch this!"

Btw...I am one of the 9 hybrid stackers- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for releasing that! Smile
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
158 Posts

OscarF and Sgtgrey,

You guys have made my year! It's responses like that that make it all worthwhile. And Sgtgrey, I'm thrilled you're working on "The Hybrid Stack!"

-Jack
Eric Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Eric Johnson
I can only add, Thank You Mr. Carpenter! This is the kind of material I've been waiting a LONNNGGG time for!
Great Material, Great Instruction, Great production quality.

Eric
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
Excellent material, the best DVD I bought since ages, but I feel frustrated.. too short ! Yep ! 2 DVDs, and I'm sure Jack still has tons of stuff to say.
Do you have a release date for the second volume ? ;-)
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
158 Posts

Thank you so much Eric - glad you're into the material!

. . . and Pierre- oh yes- there's more on the horizon, but I've learned my lesson regarding announcing a "release date" for anything! (Never been right yet!)

But I have a question- would you prefer a DVD or a book? I'm thinking that performers that are into the kind of thing I do, tend to prefer books. . . but I don't really know. Maybe a hybrid approach? (Release a book, with an accompanying DVD that has performances only. . . something like that?) I've been toying with that idea for some time- but it all comes down to what is marketable, and if that market can support the production costs. (Might do the next project all by my little self, if I can make a few bucks, now that I have the time to devote to it.)

This forum may be a great place to take a poll:

1. DVD ?

2. Book?

3. Book with DVD performances only?

Which would you be more inclined to pay hard earned cash for? (I have no idea. . . would LOVE to know.)

-Jack
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1130 Posts

Profile of APC
I haven't picked up All In yet, though I hope to in the near future. In regard to your question about what medium to use - I would like whatever allows you share the most material at the lowest cost to us! I'd love a book with online (to reduce cost hopefully) performances and tips for longer routines or something like that. If you could fit the same amount of material on a DVD for the same price, then I'd take either!
kazpet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of kazpet
I am a collector, for me I like the DVD. This is particularly true when it done by the creator of the effects. I own many card tricks. This is now one of my favorites. Watching Jack perform on these DVDs is truly magically. Getting the book without a DVD for me is like getting the lyrics without the song. I would also say that the book DVD combo presented by Fraser Parker in True Mysteries(another great product) is good way to package both.
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
Hi David,

I have the Expert Portfolio N°1 - (ouch there is no N°2) - it contains excellent routines, but sometimes hard to follow, even with a deck in hand. I love books too, but DVD avoids spending time trying to revert-engineering some part that are not the heart of the routine.

Plus.. how would you transcript some fluidity in your motion or timing ? Dvd is good for that.

In this DVD you are citing Al Leech quite often, so I started working on his work, I knew nothing about him ..

Bill Goodwin sold "Reflection" with a booklet describing the background of the tricks, the origins and his motivation.

One extremly good point of yout production is that people around ask legitimate questions, the one I asked myself too.. The best moment is even when someone tried one of your move whiile you were describing it, and you gave more details to help him - This interactivity can not be done in a book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jack Carpenter -- All In DVD (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL