The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Interesting Observation on Description Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On 2013-03-04 12:47, MagicAtlas wrote:
As far as Patrick's question regarding response, I personally feel that the reaction that you get is down to the juxtaposition created between a person's expectations when you introduce a deck of cards and what you actually perform using the deck. When you put the marker down and the prediction visibly cannot be altered, you have a strong element of implied control over your subject that is hard to top.

I think you're right in this regard. I think one of the strengths is like reading someones mind after he or she thought of a random word from a book... in the right environment it seems to play innocently enough where as in the wrong environment a book would seem out of place. Good observation, Atlas.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2820 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I agree, Atlas has made some excellent points. Description is typical Redford-outside-the-box-(intended pun)-thinking. I've yet to perform it but my instincts say it will be fun and effective especially framed as mentioned above.

And for ten bucks! Patrick's tangential comments are worth at least that!
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
I've just seen it, and I think it's a good effect.
It requires some practice, so you probably can't do it at once, but there are no hardcore sleights at all. Every "move" can be hided well, and the audience will not suspect anything.

What was interesting to me, that while the original effect ( word circled on the back ), is good, I think, the psychology behind the additional effect is better.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

P_n_g just curious which bonus feature you like the best: heads/tails, yes/no, etc.?
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
I'm late to the party on this one. Must pick it up!
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
@Patrick Redford:

There is a handling which rules out every possible method ( only one written text/at a specific position ).
I had two in my mind to accomplish those 50/50 predictions, but when I saw the secret(s), I found that it gives a very cool logical disconnect.
Just two method combined, and I've just fooled one of my knowledgeable friend Smile
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1214 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I just got this and love it! Great thinking again by patrick!

Kieran
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

@P_N_G.

I'm glad it's working well for you and that you were able to give your friend that experience! Sometimes we can become jaded as performers and its such a great feeling to be fooled and bring back that small moment of wonder.

@magicman29.

Thanks Kieran! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Interesting Observation on Description Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL