The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Suitcase Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have noticed that no books really have plans for a suitcase table. I have just built my own suitcase table and drew the plans to match.

Mine has two drawers above the bottom shelf. Do any of you think that my plans could be marketable. This is the only table that I have drawn but I have made several tables.

I have thought about putting a book together but thought it may be more work than it is worth. What do ya'll think?

Thanks for your input.

Tim
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
It is quite possible that your design would be appreciated by other magicians. There are alot of magic tables in books including the Table Book and Table Book 2 and also in the New Make-up of Magic book as well. This last book has a suitcase table and a variety of other fold-up tables.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I once saw a book full of magic table plans on eBay not to long ago. I bid on it, but was outbid around $30.

I for one think a book (not to hard to find I mean!) of plans for tables would be great!

I am still a rookie at building props, etc, so I do not know if there are any real "rules" for releasing a book of plans as long as they are unique.

Again, I would by one instantly! But you may want to touch base with a more experienced builder about publishing, etc.

Good luck with everything,

Evan Smile
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I am not that seasoned in building props myself but I have noticed that wood is not that hard to work with. I know a lot of people may argue that but I just started trying and was amazed at how easy it was.

I may put some final touches on the table plans and just sell them to magicians that are interested in a particular table, that way you only have to buy the plans for the table you want.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2003-11-19 21:43, Evan Williams wrote:

I for one think a book (not to hard to find I mean!) of plans for tables would be great!

Smile

Look at the post right above yours. The two table books are good and available from Magic, Inc.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have some pictures of my table is anyone is interested in seeing them.

I decided to put the pictures on my website. You can see the table there.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Does anyone have a website address or phone number for Magic Inc?
I tried searching and can't find it.
Anyplace else to get the 3 books listed?

Thanks,
Big Jeff

Smile Smile
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Tim,

Your design is very similar to Joe Lefler's Pro Suitcase Table (Funtastic Entertainment.) I realize there are some differences, such as the drawers, but you might want to check with Joe before you put out a set of plans that is so close to his design.

The Pro Suitcase Table is probably the suitcase table professionals use more than any other. I own two and most of the performers I know are using them. Since they are that common, I think it would be wise to get permission from Joe first.

Quite frankly, most of the suitcase tables available are similar in design but the use of the carpet and the hinges for supports is kind of a trademark of the Lefler table.

Michael
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Magicmikey,

That is one of the reasons I put my question on the website. I have never seen a Joe Lefler's Pro Suitcase Table in person. I have seen them on his website. I do his mental epic in just about all of my shows now. I actually saw a table very simular to mine without the drawers that I thought came from Abbott's. I built this one because I wanted some drawers in it.

I do not want to put out a design or plans and clame it to be my design. I just never saw plans for a suitcase table and I drew plans before I built mine and thought others may be interested.

I will contact Joe before I release it to anyone.

Thanks for the input.

Tim
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Tim,
Good thinking and nice work...but..oh no...there is a but!!...George Robinson Jr. of Viking Magic
http://www.vikingmagic.com/cgi-bin/dc.pl......options=
created the Drawer idea as well as the brilliant idea of painting the insides GRAY rather than Black. Very cool as it is easier to see those little gimmicks scattered about.
Marketing this would not be a good idea but you certainly deserve a pat on the back for a job well done and thinking like the pros.
Keep up the good work!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
This basic design of table is (has been) made by number of different manufacturers all slightly differently. It's really tough to say who copied who but I see similar designs in books dating back to the sixities which I assume pre-dates some of these mentioned contemporary models. These are very similar in concept to the Jack Hughes Su-Table which is more graceful looking rather than boxy. One thing I wish someone wouldn't copy is the carpet finish on the exterior. I am sure this is very durable but I have never cared for it. A nice painted, decorative finish would look nicer (no offense intended for Tim's table as this is how they all seem to be done). A fitted vinyl cover could then protect it when it the folded (traveling) position. These tables alway remind me of a speaker cabinet used by a rock band, rather than a magic table. My two cents...Matt.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Matt,
Good point. That is why we decided for a laminate finish including, as you suggested, a slip cover. Our new Ultra-Deluxe Fantabulous Suitcase Table will be very colorful and with additional features/accessories that will blow your mind Smile ( ok...sorry for the plug Smile
You are right as well regarding building rights. I am sure the basic concept has earned a "Public Domain" status however I prefer everyone who builds them create a spin to the look and try to make their design look different in a specific way.
Take care,
Chance

m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Chance- You are right, no sense building something that already being made by someone unless you are putting a new spin or look on it. We can leave that cookie cutter un-imaginative stuff up to the folks who crank stuff out in India. Send us a URL when your table is ready.

Thanks...Matt.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Matt,
You can count on it. I must forwarn anybody who may have an interest..it will be expensive, far more than anything on the market but worth every penny. Personally I think Joe's and Viking's Suitcase Tables are WAY UNDERpriced considering the QUALITY, materials & work involved as well as longevity and use factor. Think about it. A MAK Magic Circus Wagon retails for $300...need I say more.
Take care,
Chance

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Matt,

I agree with you on the carpet look but the reason I went for it is that the carpet allows you to attach signs and decorative fronts using velcro. I have large colored Christmas posters, Halloween and Easter "posters" (for lack of a better word) that I velcro to the front of the table.

This adds the missing color and showy look but allows me to change it easily.

Michael
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
That is the main reason I put the carpet on the outside of my table (to hang a sign using velcro) I have gone back and looked at the different table's listed so far. I would agree that the table I built is simular to several of them. I have no intentions of selling plans or a table as my own design because I am not sure I could say any table I have built is my own design. I have several tables that I have built that look close to marketed tables that I changed to fit my needs. If this is wrong I am sorry but I would not buy a table that did not serve every need I had for a table. I would not claim any prop or table to be my own just because I would not want to offend anyone or anyone's design.

Chance I look forward to seeing your table. I am very impressed with the quality of your props and the input you give on the website.

Tim
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Chance- I know I am digressing off the orginal topic but I agree with you regarding pricing of magic items.

I have always wondered if anyone can really make a living making apparatus. I alway heard that Hamilton who made high quality apparatus in the 50-60's was nearly broke from his magic endeavors. I think you have the right approach, make high-quality, unique items and charge what they are worth.

As a builder myself (with more unfinished projects than finished ones), I know that time and effort it takes just to make a decent quality item. I was just on a website a few minutes ago where a guy is marketing some simple effect. You can see where every nail hole was made and wood grain showing throw the paint job (both easily cured with more time and attentions).

If I were to sell some of my creations, I'd figured I have to get more than it is worth to compensate me for my time (I guess I would have to actual complete some projects as well, that's another story). Of course, if I have a more skill and better orgaization and more time I could probably be more efficient.

My hats off to you guys who can do this stuff and magic community should be thankful you are making this stuff available. Keep it up....Matt.

Tim/Michael- It makes sense: The sign is where you can really dress this one up.

Of course, the carpet really cuts down on the amount time need to finish as you don't need to bother with the traditional sanding, hole filling, painting etc. which is the most labor intensive part.

I suppose using another finish type would add to the overall expense....Matt.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Matt,

You are right about the finishing time. I did not fill holes or take any extra time in finihsing the outside of the table. I sanded the inside and just spray painted the inside. I was not concerned with the inside due to the fact that no one should see the inside.
The other outside material also add to the cost and weight of the table. My table weighs about 43 pounds. If I put another material such as formica(spelling?) it would have been at least 5 pounds heavier.

Tim
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
The reasons I'm making my own table is also because there are things I wanted that I couldn't get in a table currently marketed.

I am also building a drawer in my in the same place that Tim has his two. My is only one drawer and I'm hanging the drawer from European draw hangers. I think Tim's are sliding on the wood. I am also going to have a shelf below the drawers, like Joe Lefler's table that is of adjustable height.

I am also going to have a shelf half way up the upper half of the table. I'm not sure if I'll use this shelf but I'm going to give it a try. That shelf collapses while the table is closed.

Lastly, the bottom part of my table is going to have bi-fold doors in case I need to get a big prop in and out of the lower section of the base. To allow this to happen, I'm planning on mounting the catches on the side of the table (like the Viking table does) rather than the back/top like Joe Lefler's table.

I don't like the idea of having those catches on my working surface, even if they're at the rear of the surface.
How do these features strike everyone?

Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
A nice table Tim,
However it resembles to the table I have seen in the Jim Sommer's Book: Build your Illusions. Nevertheless, The Table Books are really very useful. I am sure your case will appeal may people. Congratulations for your effort. Since I am a designer from the university, I have some little doubts. I think it is a little bit too heavy. And how is the appereance when it is closed?
Go Tim, well done. If I do one, it will be a little bit narrower looking like a suitcase. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Suitcase Table (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL