The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Behavior ?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hady.87
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of hady.87
I have 3 doves , 1 male and 2 females , I put them in the same cage since 3 months , they were somehow quite , but recently the are making a loud noise day and night , running after each other, putting their head towards the ground,...... how can I understand the dove behavior??
last month laid 2 eggs , but I took them out of the cage, I have no problem to have baby doves if this will happen again .

thank you
www.hadyakiki.com
will turn your mind upside down
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2365 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
This is perfectly normal and healthy behavior and all part of their need to be fruitful and multiply.

I’d get some cigars.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Hady.87 - you need to find the female dove that the male dove has mated with and separate both of them from the other female. This will continue until you do so (unless you have a very large cage). The male and female mate will damage - (peck at, pull feathers, smack with wings, etc.)the other female because now its territorial since they are mated. And they are mated for life, so get another cage for the singled out female. Once your mates have had a set of fertilized eggs, and the babies are large enough, you can take the baby male out of the cage, and place it with the other singled out female (as long as they aren't related). Soon enough, you will have quite a few doves to contend with.

-Alpha
hady.87
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of hady.87
Dear 1906alpha1906
ill put the single alone , and keep the couple together.
where can I find information on how to build a good place for fertilizing eggs , and what to do so the couple stop cooing at night because they become disturbing for neighbors :/
www.hadyakiki.com
will turn your mind upside down
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
They will stop cooing at night once you separate the third dove from the couple, however, you will have to put a "blinder" between the cages - A board or something so that they can't see each other or this verbal fighting will continue between them, or get a cover for the cage at night. There really is no 'good place' to build a place for fertilized eggs, but having a large platform will help the doves make a choice. If you just put nesting material inside the cage, more than likely, the doves will pick the spot they want and begin to build it themselves. Its kind of fun to watch, but their instincts will take over and they will probably build it on the corner floor of the cage or near the food. Sometimes they will even lay the eggs in the food bowl. Just supply them with nesting material and watch them do it themselves. After that, don't disturb them and allow them to do their thing. Also, the cooing of the male and female is a natural thing, especially when mating season is upon us. The males are 'making noise' so the females recognize them, and the females will lean forward and flick wings making their noises as well to 'get the man'. Once the eggs are there, the cooing will 'cool off'. But you have healthy birds, so let them sing! *smile*
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
The couple will coo hardly ever when the room is completely dark, so you might need to make sure you have a way to make the room very dark at night. Even street lights will make them coo. I use blinds on my windows to keep mine quiet at night.

Make sure your birds get light in the day. Never keep your birds in total darkness all day and night. This will make the birds very sick and their bones weak. Doves need natural light, but they also need a place where they can escape from the natural light. I put my doves by a window, where they get a few hours of sun in part of their cage, but they can always get out of the sun when they wish. I don't want them to over-heat.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I guess I was lucky all my life. I never had a cooing problem. You said you have 2 birds and their cooing is disturbing the neighbors. At one time, I had 31 birds and the only neighbors that knew I had birds were the ones I told. The doves cood but noone was disturbed. I think sometimes we get overly sensitive about the coo and think it is louder than it actually is. Now if you have the birds in a room with you, of course there is going to be noise that may be irritating but I always thought it was kind of nice hearing them coo.
Where the magic begins
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
I always wondered if this were a problem as I thought doves and pigeons were known for 'making noise'. I mean, some people complain about the hum of a motorized gimmick, what about a dove cooing before the big reveal?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Behavior ?! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL